The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The official 2019 Southampton Applicants

Hey, this is a thread for 2019 applicants applying to study at the university of Southampton:

Course(s) you're applying for
Other universities you're applying to
GCSE grades
Predicted A-level grades
Extra-curricular activities

I want to study International relations / International development / Human geography and politics
I'm applying to Leeds, East Anglia, Loughborough, Southampton and Keele
GCSE Grades - 5A's, 4B's and 1C
Predicted Grades - I don't know yet but between ABB - BBC
Extra Curricular - MUN, Running my schools senior debate team, EPQ completed, Netball team, Netball coach, HSLA - leadership course and Tutoring kids in English Language

Scroll to see replies

Course(s) you're applying for: Criminology, criminology with psychology, criminology with law
Other universities you're applying to: southampton, portsmouth, liverpool, manchester, nottingham
GCSE grade: 3A's, 6B's, C
Predicted A-level grade:ABB-BBB
Extra curricular: MUN, air cadets, Debate team, DofE
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by M.Gilbertson
Hey, this is a thread for 2019 applicants applying to study at the university of Southampton:

Course(s) you're applying for
Other universities you're applying to
GCSE grades
Predicted A-level grades
Extra-curricular activities

I want to study International relations / International development / Human geography and politics
I'm applying to Leeds, East Anglia, Loughborough, Southampton and Keele
GCSE Grades - 5A's, 4B's and 1C
Predicted Grades - I don't know yet but between ABB - BBC
Extra Curricular - MUN, Running my schools senior debate team, EPQ completed, Netball team, Netball coach, HSLA - leadership course and Tutoring kids in English Language

Course(s) you're applying for: Mechanical engineering (Foundation year)
Other universities you're applying to: southampton, sheffield, lancaster, nottingham
GCSE grade: 3A's, 6B's, C
Predicted A-level grade:AAC
Extra curricular: DofE, Scouts, NCS, tutoring
(edited 5 years ago)
Course(s) you're applying for: Medicine
Other universities you're applying to: Bristol / KCL / Sheffield and UCL (for applied medical science)
GCSE grade: 9A*s 1A
Predicted A-level grade:AAB achieved (hopefully chem will be predicted as A* but not sure)
Extra curricular: DofE, Music Production and running
Hey guys, best of luck with your applications to the University of Southampton this year!
You can do it :dumbells: :woohoo: :happy2:

Just wanted to make you aware of the various sources of information you may find about the University here on :tsr: !
We have the Ask a University of Southampton Student thread and the University of Southampton Halls accommodation thread .

Do feel free to tag or quote me if you guys have any questions related to Southampton, General University questions or anything about the Chemistry department :smile:
I am a second year chemistry student at the University of Southampton :hi:
but you got this :wink:

Spoiler

Reply 5
Hello!

Course(s) you're applying for: Civil Engineering
Other universities you're applying to: Southampton, Cambridge, Imperial College, Bath, Bristol
IGCSE grades: 6A* 2A
Achieved AS Level: AA (Math, Physics)
Predicted A-level grade: A*A*A* (Math, FM, Physics)
Extra curricular: Qualified equivalent competitions of BMO1 and BIO1. Self studied programming and made a game (here).
(edited 5 years ago)
Course(s) you're applying for: Maths (4 years)
Other universities you're applying to:Oxford, Durham and Lancaster atm
GCSE grades: 986 4A*s 7As 1B +A in FSMQ
Predicted A-level grades: A*A*A
Extra-curricular activities: Tonnes of volunteering (including on here :giggle:), help in maths workshop, tap, musical theatre. Did ballet for 13 years and piano for 10 years. Basically loads :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Course(s) you're applying for: Maths (4 years)
Other universities you're applying to:Oxford, Durham and Lancaster atm
GCSE grades: 986 4A*s 7As 1B +A in FSMQ
Predicted A-level grades: A*A*A
Extra-curricular activities: Tonnes of volunteering (including on here :giggle:), help in maths workshop, tap, musical theatre. Did ballet for 13 years and piano for 10 years. Basically loads :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yessssss :jumphug:
you got this :yep:
and wow you do a lot of extra-curricular stuff like my sister
did you ever take ballet/tap exams?
and omg what grade piano :eek4: you must be good :ninja:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
yessssss :jumphug:
you got this :yep:
and wow you do a lot of extra-curricular stuff like my sister
did you ever take ballet/tap exams?
and omg what grade piano :eek4: you must be good :ninja:

:jumphug:
Yeah, did/do a lot of stuff :lol: Tap I think we did grade 1 at one point :rofl: Was a bit mismatched as we went through about 8 teachers in 4 or 5 years and they all had different ideas of whether we should do exams or not. Recently taken it back up but we're not doing exams. Ballet was a weird one as we did exams every 2 years but I somehow missed my final 2 sets of exams (one was for extra maths tbf which was over my second weekly ballet lesson so I wasn't allowed to do the exam) so although I did 13 years of it, I've only got grade 2.
Piano I did grade 5 in year 8 then failed grade 6 in year 11 after I'd done my theory (bad idea to try and have piano exam and mocks in the same week btw). Have barely played since, and am definitely not good (although possibly comparing to my grade 8 standard dad lol)
Also have grade 5 singing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Course(s) you're applying for: Aeronautics & Astronautics (4 years)
Other universities you're applying to: Surrey, Manchester, Bristol and Leicester
GCSE grades: did old gcse - 8As, 1B and 2C
Predicted A-level grades: A*AA
Extra-curricular activities: Cricket
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Course(s) you're applying for: Nursing ( haven’t been able to decide whether adult or children) Mnursing Adult and Children

Other universities you're applying to: City of London, University of Portsmouth, Middlesex university
GCSE grades: ( ya girl got pretty basic) 4bs 5cs
Predicted A-level grades: D*D*d
Extra-curricular activities : Hospital volunteering, walked for dementia .

Honest question: Do you even think I stand a chance against Southampton?
(edited 5 years ago)
Course I’m applying for: MEng Computer Science
Other unis I’m applying to: Cam, IC, St. Andrews, Bristol
GCSE Grades: A* Distinction (I’m an international student and only started studying in the UK from year 12 and those two were maths and were taken purely for fun)
AS Grades: 4As with full UMS in Maths
Predicted Grades: 5A*s (I’m taking Further Maths AS and A Level at the same year)
ECA - UKSDC, Volunteer a hella lot, Scuba Diving (Fun fact I reached Rescue Diver which is the highest you can get under 18)
Reply 12
Hi! I'm an international student:smile:

Course(s) you're applying for: Geology
Other universities you're applying to: Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Bristol
GCSE grades: 9A* and 2A
Predicted A-level grades: A*A*A*
Extra-curricular activities: Piano, singing, choir, peer mentor, school council, food committee, science outreach

Anyone else applying for the same course (or similar)?

Update: Received a conditional offer (AAB) on 16/10!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Yo.

So I'm applying to MPhys Physics with Space Science because god damn working in the space industry would be amazing (plus you get to go to Tenerife!), but at the same time I don't quite want to do engineering. Everywhere else it's physics (and physical nat sci at Cambridge).
I'm also applying for Cambridge, Imperial, Birmingham and Warwick, but Southampton is probably my 3rd or 2nd choice just because of the course. I am predicted A*A*A*A* in maths, further maths, physics and history and predicted A in French AS (but then again that is technically my mother tongue).

My GCSEs were 9, 8, 7, six A*s including French taken a year early, 2 As including astronomy a year later, a B in DT and a C in further pure maths.
As for extra-curriculars... not many. I play a fair bit of guitar and sometimes do a little bit of doodling/sketching. None of that CCF or DofE or MUN or EPQ or even any sports. Sometimes I try arranging songs from video games for guitar but I rarely actually manage to.
Reply 14
Original post by Jj1EM
Course(s) you're applying for: Nursing ( haven’t been able to decide whether adult or children) Mnursing Adult and Children

Other universities you're applying to: City of London, University of Portsmouth, Middlesex university
GCSE grades: ( ya girl got pretty basic) 4bs 5cs
Predicted A-level grades: D*D*d
Extra-curricular activities : Hospital volunteering.

Honest question: Do you even think I stand a chance against Southampton?

Definitely, isn't D* equivalent to A or A* in A-level? your GCSEs really don't matter for Southampton, universities outside of the top 5 usually give offers to around 80% of applicants
Original post by Sinnoh
Yo.

So I'm applying to MPhys Physics with Space Science because god damn working in the space industry would be amazing (plus you get to go to Tenerife!), but at the same time I don't quite want to do engineering. Everywhere else it's physics (and physical nat sci at Cambridge).
I'm also applying for Cambridge, Imperial, Birmingham and Warwick, but Southampton is probably my 3rd or 2nd choice just because of the course. I am predicted A*A*A*A* in maths, further maths, physics and history and predicted A in French AS (but then again that is technically my mother tongue).

My GCSEs were 9, 8, 7, six A*s including French taken a year early, 2 As including astronomy a year later, a B in DT and a C in further pure maths.
As for extra-curriculars... not many. I play a fair bit of guitar and sometimes do a little bit of doodling/sketching. None of that CCF or DofE or MUN or EPQ or even any sports. Sometimes I try arranging songs from video games for guitar but I rarely actually manage to.

omg YES sinnoh :jumphug:
honestly the stuff they do is great
I really super enjoyed the astronomy module I took alongside my degree last year :love:
if I was a physics student there was an opportunity to go to an observatory in America as a joint partnership with that uni for a mini summer internship :yep:
also the physics society are great :ninja: I go to their events and it's fine :ninja:
like last week's public lecture on gravitational waves from this professor at MIT who was amazing :ninja:

also you're awesome :hugs:
best of luck

are you applying just for master's courses? Have you got a BSc already? Can't remember :hmmmm:
Reply 16
Original post by Sinnoh
Definitely, isn't D* equivalent to A or A* in A-level? your GCSEs really don't matter for Southampton, universities outside of the top 5 usually give offers to around 80% of applicants

Yeah it’s equivalent to A* but looking at Tsr students they have great gcse grades. What do you mean about universities outside of the top 5, are you talking about Russell groups?
Reply 17
Original post by Jj1EM
Yeah it’s equivalent to A* but looking at Tsr students they have great gcse grades. What do you mean about universities outside of the top 5, are you talking about Russell groups?

I think TSR is the exception, or at least, people with exceptional GCSE results are more likely to mention them. When I say "outside the top 5", I mean if you're not applying to Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, Durham - those kinds of top-tier ones. If you look up the stats, a lot of universities give a lot of offers.
Don't agonise over the RG, it's a brand name that's vaguely related to research funding or something.
Reply 18
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
omg YES sinnoh :jumphug:
honestly the stuff they do is great
I really super enjoyed the astronomy module I took alongside my degree last year :love:
if I was a physics student there was an opportunity to go to an observatory in America as a joint partnership with that uni for a mini summer internship :yep:
also the physics society are great :ninja: I go to their events and it's fine :ninja:
like last week's public lecture on gravitational waves from this professor at MIT who was amazing :ninja:

also you're awesome :hugs:
best of luck

are you applying just for master's courses? Have you got a BSc already? Can't remember :hmmmm:

Erm no, I haven't got a BSc (I'm in year 13) but I'm applying for an integrated master's at each uni.
Course(s) you're applying for: Music
Other universities you're applying to: York, Nottingham, Royal Holloway and Canterbury
GCSE grades: 3As 6Bs and 1C
Predicted A-level grades: AAC
Extra-curricular activities: Leader of orchestra + string orchestra, Head of house, Chorister/senior choral scholar, Leader of quartets, DofE, Horse riding.

Latest

Trending

Trending