The Student Room Group

Concerned about having a virus

Hi, so I'm a teenage female, and Im currently in the dating staging in my life. Every guy that I've kissed (like 3 since I've been in Highschoool , and im currently a junior) has conplained about getting a bump appear right about their lip in the little dip part right under the nose ( sorry I dont know what its called). Does this mean I have herpes😞 please help, because there's this guy I really like and im afraid he's going to kiss me and he might get one too.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello,

The best way to know if you have herpes is getting tested. You should make an appointment to an STI Clinic or a drop-in one to be sure.
And if you are worried about your potential partner kissing you, maybe warn them you are gettting tested the moment they try something.
Original post by Manyquestions1
Hi, so I'm a teenage female, and Im currently in the dating staging in my life. Every guy that I've kissed (like 3 since I've been in Highschoool , and im currently a junior) has conplained about getting a bump appear right about their lip in the little dip part right under the nose ( sorry I dont know what its called). Does this mean I have herpes😞 please help, because there's this guy I really like and im afraid he's going to kiss me and he might get one too.

It could be you have cold sores , get checked out if you re worried.
It's probably a good thing to explain what herpes is.

There are two different viruses; herpes simplex virus 1 and 2 (HSV1&2). One is the sexually transmitted type HSV2, but there's HSV1 that is usually transmitted through kissing and sharing things like cups. A large proportion of the public have HSV1 (maybe even most, I think it is?) and most don't show any signs. The ones who show signs usually have cold sores on their lips occasionally. I get one a year maybe, or less. During that time, the virus is transferable to others if they don't already have it, but outside of that when you don't have a coldsore, you cannot transmit the virus so kiss away

So don't be worried about herpes, if anything you have the non sexual version, HSV2, that most/a lot of the population actually have already, and the two are completely different. If you've got that one, just don't kiss when you have a cold sore and it's fine
Reply 4
Okay so first off Herpes is not exactly the same thing as having cold sores! They are different 'breeds' of the same virus, and cold sores are far more common so there's no stigma - in fact most people who have them get the virus off someone in their family as children.

Secondly, if all three guys have complained about it in the same place it probably isn't a cold sore because they appear randomly all over the lips and even nose.

Thirdly, a cold sore is pretty obviously a cold sore, they are small pus-filled blisters, usually preceeded by a small tingling feeling.

Fourthly, if you think you might have cold sores you don't need medical attention as all the doctor will do is tell you to keep a tube of cold sore cream to hand, which you only need to use when you have an active cold sore.
You'll be surprised to know how many viruses you actually are carrying.
Yh get tested.
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
It could be you have cold sores , get checked out if you re worried.
Yep sounds like colesores.
Reply 8
Get checked out by a clinic. It could be a number of things. And, oral herpes sometimes has other symptoms like nausea. Dont self-diagnose. Consult a Medic.
Yes, like two have said before ( these were spaced months apart)) "now I got a bump on my face/lip" but after the second time we were kissing in the movies, he hadn't mentioned it to me. But I dont have any bumps or cold sores never have or when I kiss.The most id ever had are those tiny bumps on the outline of your lip. When i showed my doctor she said I was fine probably an allergic reaction to a lip gloss. But sometimes my top lip does itch really bad and feels fleshy in one spot.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Manyquestions1
Yes, like two have said before ( these were spaced months apart)) "now I got a bump on my face/lip" but after the second time we were kissing in the movies, he hadn't mentioned it to me. But I dont have any bumps or cold sores never have or when I kiss.The most id ever had are those tiny bumps on the outline of your lip. When i showed my doctor she said I was fine probably an allergic reaction to a lip gloss. But sometimes my top lip does itch really bad and feels fleshy in one spot.

Maybe the guys are allergic to your lip gloss, consider something like that? I've already said it once further up, but I promise you'd know if you had a cold sore. I get them and the *******s hurt! 😂
What other posters said is right, you can't transfer them to anyone else unless you have an open sore at the time, it doesn't just hang out on the surface of your lip waiting for it's next victim. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending