The Student Room Group

Advanced higher chemistry projects

My teacher told us to start thinking about advanced higher chemistry projects that we want to do. I want a projects that isn’t too hard or challenging but still a little different and not overdone. Any ideas would help. Also, I am applying for microbiology at uni so although not necessary, can anyone think of an idea that links to the course??
Reply 1
I have a few ideas for my advanced higher chemistry project. I narrowed it down to the “ananlysis of soft drinks( irn bru iron content, pH, sugar content)”, the “preparation of paracetamol” or the “uptake of salt in food”. Can anyone who has attempted any of these projects, can you let me know how it went and what kind of equipment and procedures you followed. Or any other suggestions are welcome.
I didn't do any of the above.
I did the determination of iron on a casette tape (and I know others who did determination of iron in iron tablets or zinc in zinc tablets) etc. and they all worked out really well.
I know some people who did ones similar to your ideas and they worked well but sometimes things went wrong and they had to start again (though that happens with many people). I'd advise going for a relatively simple procedure but with some AH techniques in it so that it's not to hard to go wrong
Original post by GLM26
My teacher told us to start thinking about advanced higher chemistry projects that we want to do. I want a projects that isn’t too hard or challenging but still a little different and not overdone. Any ideas would help. Also, I am applying for microbiology at uni so although not necessary, can anyone think of an idea that links to the course??

:wavey:

I've moved this over to Scottish Qualifications for you :smile:

Generally, AH chemistry projects involve either analysing something or the synthesis of something. Remember you've got to include 2 processes (or one process + modification/control/standardisation of solutions) as well. Most of the people I know have done ones that are quite commonly done, so I can't really give you much unique suggestions, but you can do stuff like wine analysis, vitamin C content, some sort of iron/paracetamol tablet one, I'm sure someone did caffeine extraction and analysis from tea. There are lots of ideas around online, so just spend some time looking at lots of different lists of suggestions and find a few that you'd be interested in (then ask your teacher whether it's suitable- not all of the ones on these lists are easy to do/score well!).

Edit: And also merged the two threads into one :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi

Im doing the determination of manganese in green tea for my adv chem project but so far its been crap. I cant find any info really anywhere.
I think I need to do a titration and do colorimetry. Anyone know what chemicals i could use for the titration? or any advice in general ?
Original post by Labrador99
:wavey:

I've moved this over to Scottish Qualifications for you :smile:

Generally, AH chemistry projects involve either analysing something or the synthesis of something. Remember you've got to include at least 2 processes as well. Most of the people I know have done ones that are quite commonly done, so I can't really give you much unique suggestions, but you can do stuff like wine analysis, vitamin C content, some sort of iron/paracetamol tablet one, I'm sure someone did caffeine extraction and analysis from tea. There are lots of ideas around online, so just spend some time looking at lots of different lists of suggestions and find a few that you'd be interested in (then ask your teacher whether it's suitable- not all of the ones on these lists are easy to do/score well!).

Edit: And also merged the two threads into one :smile:

Would just like to correct this.
You don't have to do two processes, there is also the option of doing a modification or a control experiment or standardisation of solutions.
https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/GAInfoAHChemistry.pdf See the mark scheme for more info
I personally didn't do two techniques, however if you want to you can (most find it easier)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AzureCeleste
Would just like to correct this.
You don't have to do two processes, there is also the option of doing a modification or a control experiment or standardisation of solutions.
https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/GAInfoAHChemistry.pdf See the mark scheme for more info
I personally didn't do two techniques, however if you want to you can (most find it easier)

Oo yeah, forgot that bit! :colondollar: Have amended it now. Thanks :h:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
i have now decided to do the transport of copper ions through a membrane. i am going to use visking tubing to make a membrane. i will make up a standard solution of copper(II) ions. To test if there is copper present and how much, i have to use a redox titration. I need to know what i could use in a redox titration that reacts with the copper ions. also i need some aims. I pretty much know how to set up the experiment but idk what to investigate? Do i see how much copper ions diffuse out, how much diffuses out after so many hours(after 1,2,3,4 hours etc), the effect of anions on the movement of the copper, does pH/temperature effect movement? anyone got some ideas or suggestions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending