The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) Applicant Chat & FAQ Thread 2019

Hi everyone! :wavey:

Welcome to the 2019 applicant thread for Manchester Met.

Feel free to introduce yourself and chat to other applicants. To get started you might want to answer some of the following......

What course are you applying for?
Will you be moving away or staying at home?
Are you visiting us at an Open Day?

We are happy to help with any questions you may have about studying with us, so please do not hesitate to ask!

You can also find some really useful information about the university by visiting the links below :cyber:

We look forward to hearing from you, and good luck with your applications! :smile:

MMU TSR Team
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Hi,
What course are you applying for? Criminology
Will you be moving away or staying at home? Staying home don’t live that far thankfully
Are you visiting us at an Open Day? Not yet
Do you know how many people applied to criminology and how many got accepted?
Original post by theuncannyshi
Hi,
What course are you applying for? Criminology
Will you be moving away or staying at home? Staying home don’t live that far thankfully
Are you visiting us at an Open Day? Not yet
Do you know how many people applied to criminology and how many got accepted?

Hi,

Glad to hear that you are thinking of applying to us! :smile:

If you would like to visit us at an Open Day, you can book online at https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visit/.

We don't have the data for how many people apply and how many are accepted as it changes from year to year. We usually take around 50 students per year on to the straight Criminology. For 2018 entry the course was more popular that in previous years, and therefore closed earlier than usual. I would therefore recommend applying by the initial UCAS deadline of the 15th January to ensure your application is considered.

The Which? University website has some useful stats which you may want to look at.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions just let me know.

Rebecca
Reply 4
Hey!
I’m applying to do International Business Management, moving from Leicestershire and I’m visiting on the 13th next week! Virtually 99% decided on going to Manchester, to whichever uni will take me! (Though the uni of said I was just simply too good for them, obviously :wink: ) Bit gutted that I’ll be 20 when I start my first day in 2019, what are the age ranges like? Am I getting worked up about being ‘too old’?
Reply 5
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
Hi everyone! :wavey:

Welcome to the 2019 applicant thread for Manchester Met.

Feel free to introduce yourself and chat to other applicants. To get started you might want to answer some of the following......

What course are you applying for?
Will you be moving away or staying at home?
Are you visiting us at an Open Day?

We are happy to help with any questions you may have about studying with us, so please do not hesitate to ask!

You can also find some really useful information about the university by visiting the links below :cyber:
[ul]
[li]Online prospectus - https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/[/li]
[li]How to apply - https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/[/li]
[li]UG Open Days - https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visit/[/li]
[li]PG Open Days - https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/visit/[/li]
[li]Accommodation - https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/accommodation/[/li]
[li]Life at Manchester Metropolitan - https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/student-life/[/li]
[/ul]
We look forward to hearing from you, and good luck with your applications! :smile:

MMU TSR Team

I am applying for Psychology, I will be living with you and I can't make the open day sadly. I was wondering what kind of support you offer for people with ASD, as I have that and it makes things like accommodation and lectures are difficult as I have specific requirements?
Original post by Woksin
Hey!
I’m applying to do International Business Management, moving from Leicestershire and I’m visiting on the 13th next week! Virtually 99% decided on going to Manchester, to whichever uni will take me! (Though the uni of said I was just simply too good for them, obviously :wink: ) Bit gutted that I’ll be 20 when I start my first day in 2019, what are the age ranges like? Am I getting worked up about being ‘too old’?

Hi!

We have people of all ages on our courses, so I wouldn't worry about being 20 when you start the course :smile: When you come to the Open Day on Saturday, there will be a mature students stand at the Student Life Fair. Although at 20 you are not technically classed as a mature student, you may want to go to the stand to speak to some of our older students to see how their experience has been.

I hope you enjoy the Open Day on Saturday. We look forward to meeting you! :biggrin:

Rebecca
Original post by MxSyd
I am applying for Psychology, I will be living with you and I can't make the open day sadly. I was wondering what kind of support you offer for people with ASD, as I have that and it makes things like accommodation and lectures are difficult as I have specific requirements?

Hi!

We have a dedicated disability service that offers support to students with ASD. I would recommend contacting them on 0161 247 3491 or [email protected] to speak to them about the range of support they can offer.

As you can't make the open day, have you got any questions about our Psychology course? I would be happy to help :smile:

Rebecca
Reply 8
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
Hi!

We have a dedicated disability service that offers support to students with ASD. I would recommend contacting them on 0161 247 3491 or [email protected] to speak to them about the range of support they can offer.

As you can't make the open day, have you got any questions about our Psychology course? I would be happy to help :smile:

Rebecca

Hi, yes actually I do! I tried to find the optional modules for Psychology but I found that the website's information wasn't really detailed enough, could you possibly tell me more about what you have to offer as modules? I am especially interested in mental health & neurodiversity/atypical development/forensic psychology.
Thank you!
Original post by MxSyd
Hi, yes actually I do! I tried to find the optional modules for Psychology but I found that the website's information wasn't really detailed enough, could you possibly tell me more about what you have to offer as modules? I am especially interested in mental health & neurodiversity/atypical development/forensic psychology.
Thank you!

A lot of the modules for 2019 are still being finalised for the BSc (Hons) Psychology, hence why the information on the online prospectus is a bit sparse.

I have just spoken to the Tutor and he is happy to have a chat with you to discuss the potential modules. I will send you a direct message with some more details :smile:

Rebecca
Hi again,
Me and my friends are planning on coming to next saturdays open day. It’s says from 10am to 4pm does that mean have to get there for 10 and leave at approx 4pm?
Also me and my friends all want to study different subjects so would that mean we’d be separated all day?
Thanks
Original post by theuncannyshi
Hi again,
Me and my friends are planning on coming to next saturdays open day. It’s says from 10am to 4pm does that mean have to get there for 10 and leave at approx 4pm?
Also me and my friends all want to study different subjects so would that mean we’d be separated all day?
Thanks

Hi! :smile:

Glad to hear you're coming to the Open Day. While the day will run from 10am-4pm, there's no obligation to stay for the full thing - do as much or as little as you like! You should have received a guide to the day via email or post, which contains the times of the Welcome Talks and the relevant subject talks. As well as these, accommodation tours and campus tours will be running throughout the day, and the Student Life Fair will be open throughout the day. While you and your friends may be going to separate talks, there's no reason you couldn't walk around the Student Life Fair and go on tours together! :smile:

We hope you enjoy the day on Saturday. Give us a shout if you have any more questions :smile:

Matt
Forensic Psychology

Hello, I keep repeatedly hearing how far fetched it is for me to apply to MMU because it's so difficult to get into. However the Which website states 92% of applicants were accepted onto the course I have chosen, which i personally think is quite high!
1) Can you confirm the accuracy of this percentage?
2) Do you offer any childcare facilities at the University?
3) I have 2 children under 3 years old. I currently live in wakefield and wouldn't be planning on moving. Do you think it would be far fetched for me to presume I could commute to uni every day?
4) I'm currently studying an Access course as a mature student (26) Do you accept many Access students?
5) Your'e the only Uni within distance that offers the GBC to the BPS, Would me applying for other universities with the same course (but without the GBC option) be a waste of time? I've spoken to previous students from other unis who are still struggling to find work in their preffered area

Thankyou, Hayley
Reply 13
Hi! I'm applying for Biomedical Science and Physiological Science. I'm living away from home. Do you guys still do the Unconditional Offer Scheme? I'm predicted ABB and the entry requirements are BCC and BBB respectively. Is there any chance of me getting one?
Original post by hayls9335
Forensic Psychology

Hello, I keep repeatedly hearing how far fetched it is for me to apply to MMU because it's so difficult to get into. However the Which website states 92% of applicants were accepted onto the course I have chosen, which i personally think is quite high!
1) Can you confirm the accuracy of this percentage?
2) Do you offer any childcare facilities at the University?
3) I have 2 children under 3 years old. I currently live in wakefield and wouldn't be planning on moving. Do you think it would be far fetched for me to presume I could commute to uni every day?
4) I'm currently studying an Access course as a mature student (26) Do you accept many Access students?
5) Your'e the only Uni within distance that offers the GBC to the BPS, Would me applying for other universities with the same course (but without the GBC option) be a waste of time? I've spoken to previous students from other unis who are still struggling to find work in their preffered area

Thankyou, Hayley

Hi Hayley :smile:

The percentage shown on the Which University website is calculated using data from UCAS so it is usually quite accurate. The percentage shows the people who were made an offer last year, but this does not necessarily mean that they met the conditions of their offer. Due to the popularity of the course, we don't usually confirm offers to those who miss out on the conditions of their offer. However, I would let this put you off!

If you meet/or are predicted to meet our entry requirements for the BSc (Hons) Forensic Psychology, and have a strong personal statement and reference, then you have a strong chance of being made an offer. What I would say about our Psychology courses is that they are some of our most popular, so tend to close early on. It is therefore best to get your application in by the 15th January to ensure your application is considered before places fill.

Unfortunately we do not have any childcare facilities on campus :frown:

We do have students commuting to us from Leeds, Wakefield, Sheffield, Liverpool etc so it is definitely doable. Our campus is a 5-10 minute walk from Oxford Road Station and a 15-20 minute walk from Piccadilly Station. You would just need to be prepared for some early mornings, and late evenings due to the commute.

We consider Access courses for entry on to the BSc (Hons) Forensic Psychology, and Access applicants are treated the same as applicants with A Levels and BTEC's. We would be looking for 120 UCAS points from the Access which will need to be in a relevant subject such as Psychology, Social Science, Biology/Human Sciences or Health Professions.

With regards to the GBC with BPS, it would depend on what career you wanted to go into. If you wanted to become a Forensic Psychologist, then you will need the GBC with BPS in to complete further training to become qualified. It is therefore advisable to look for courses with GBC if this is the career you are interested in.

If you don't want to become a Psychologist, then GBC with BPS isn't essential, and a non-accredited degree can lead in to a variety of careers with great success. However the GBC can give you an advantage over those applicants without it for some jobs. It therefore really depends on the career that you want.

We have an open day on the 24th November which you might find useful if you are free? There will be course tutors there who will be happy to have a chat with you about the course.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions I am happy to help :biggrin:

Rebecca
Original post by as25
Hi! I'm applying for Biomedical Science and Physiological Science. I'm living away from home. Do you guys still do the Unconditional Offer Scheme? I'm predicted ABB and the entry requirements are BCC and BBB respectively. Is there any chance of me getting one?

We do run an unconditional offer scheme, however we can't really give you an idea as to whether you would be made an offer under the scheme or not. This is because we also look at personal statements, references and previous grades alongside predicted grades to assess whether an unconditional offer can be made. Please also note that the courses that will be offering the unconditional offer scheme have not yet been fully confirmed for 2019.

With ABB you would be a strong applicant, but all we can advise is to submit an application and we will let you know as soon as possible as to whether we can make you an unconditional offer :smile:

Good luck with your application!!

Rebecca
Original post by as25

Hi, I've applied for Biomed too, as well as Human Biosciences! Good luck :smile:
Hello,
I'm going to apply to do Bsc Psychology at MMU as I went to the open day and really loved it. I was wondering if you had a cap on the number of students you take or a rough figure,

Thank you,

Hannah
Have mmu started to give out offers yet ?
Original post by hannahharrison36
Hello,
I'm going to apply to do Bsc Psychology at MMU as I went to the open day and really loved it. I was wondering if you had a cap on the number of students you take or a rough figure,

Thank you,

Hannah

Hi Hannah, that's great news that you enjoyed the open day. :party:

The number of places on our courses varies from year to year. If you meet our minimum entry requirements, or you are working towards meeting them then we would encourage you to apply. The biggest piece of advice we can give you is to make sure you apply by 6pm January 15th 2019, as we guarantee to consider your application if you submit it by this date.

Hoopefully you have already seen our minimum entry requirements, but if not, you can find them here

Best of luck with your application.

Charlotte

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending