The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vorpent
Yeah I haven't received acknowledgement either ahahah, good to know I'm not the only one!

I'm actually from the North east of England ahaha, Idk I just spoke to an admissions person from QUB at this university event I went to and it seemed really nice so I thought why not! I really wanna go away for Uni too and eventho belfast is over the water, it's geographically not even that far from where I live! Its like less than an hour on the plane.

QUB is really nice. Went to the open day and it just seems like they really care for their students!! Its a 15 minute walk from the city centre and like 5 minutes away from restaurants/cafes. The MBC, essentially where lectures are held, is beside the City Hospital too. Also, its literally beside a park so theres def a balance between seeing like the city/the green
I am an international student and I received my confirmation email. Also how were your stats.
Original post by Adi2002
I am an international student and I received my confirmation email. Also how were your stats.

i havent gotten mine yet :/
Original post by Adi2002

Ah right, thats great! Us mere national mortals have yet to receive such an email :^(

I have 39/42 on the interview points system for UK applicants :smile:

I'm not sure if that is helpful / makes sense because I don't really know how the international points system works :smile:
I m a Scottish student with 7 As in National 5 and AAABB in with upper A band in Chemistry Biology and Mathematics with BB in English and History..Predicted score for Advanced highers AAA upper band ..Uk CAT score is 2480..Have put QUB as my first choice in UCAS application but haven’t received any mail until now..Waiting
Hey, I'm a Scottish applicant. What's everyone's UKCAT like? My academic grades are good but in UKCAT I got 2480 :/
Original post by A.Person
Hey, I'm a Scottish applicant. What's everyone's UKCAT like? My academic grades are good but in UKCAT I got 2480 :/

Ultimately it depends on the cut off score for QUB's internal points system. You should not be concerned about your UKCAT score, but rather, your UKCAT score in relation to the rest of your application

You calculate your points score by ranking your top 9 GCSEs, where an A* is worth 4 points, A is worth 3 points, B is 2 and C is 1. This brings you to score out of 36.

You then add your GCSE points score to your UKCAT score, which is out of 6. Therefore, in total, your points score is out of 42.

Banding of UKCAT Scores Points
1200 1899 = 0
1900 2099 = 1
2100 2299 = 2
2300 2499 = 3
2500 2699 = 4
2700 2899 = 5
2900 3600 = 6

The cut off for interview has never been higher than 38 points. Last year, I think it was 30 points for some reason.

All in all it is very clear that, whilst the UKCAT is extremely important and shouldn't be neglected, GCSE point score contribute the majority of the points, therefore your GCSE point score is far more important than your UKCAT score.

(This makes sense, since the UKCAT only represents 2 hours of your life whereas GCSEs show how well you've performed in the long run, over a variety of subjects and how dedicated you are to your studies. UKCAT only tests aptitude and it's multiple choice so has its limitations too as 1) its not a control test, since people do different exams so some may have easier/ harder questions and 2) people might, by fluke, get really high scores just by guessing whereas its harder to get 9A* GCSE just by fluke therefore justifying why they weight GCSEs more heavily, to show you can cope with the prolonged academic intensity of medicine)

Your UKCAT score isn't bad, provided your academic point score makes up for it. I'd say if you have around 38 or above, you're fairly safe because if the cut off rises to 39 or 40, it means everyone they interview has like 9A* GCSE and UKCAT of 650 or so, which is quite high. The cut off has never been higher than 38.

Also I called the admissions team and they said that the combined UKCAT and GCSE point score is just to get to the interview stage. Once you achieve an interview, it is the interview alone which determines whether or not you get an offer. So someone with 42/42 points has no advantage over someone with, say, 38/42 points at the interview stage.

It is also worth mentioning that QUB doesn't look at the SJT band for the UKCAT however, in borderline cases (i.e they don't have many places left to make an offer and are trying to differentiate between similar performing candidates at interview to fill up the few places remaining), they may look at SJT, and/or extra GCSE A*/A grades not included in the 9 which they looked at before interview.

I hope this was helpful, and I urge you not to worry. If your academics are good then you actually make for a great candidate :smile:
has anybody gotten their fee assessments for QUB yet?
Has anyone from UK received acknowledgement emails?
Original post by michaela0899
Has anyone from UK received acknowledgement emails?

I'm also UK and haven't received mine yet ahaha
Original post by Vorpent
I'm also UK and haven't received mine yet ahaha

Ok phew i was getting a bit worried :lol: Im gonna wait till after they get ukcat and then if i dont receive an email i might call them.
Reply 31
I got mine last week
I haven't got one either :frown:
Just received an offer from QUB biomed without getting acknowledgement. Must be the same for medicine in terms of interview offers?
(edited 5 years ago)
Currently a final year undergrad student at QUB applying.
Hey guys @international applications have y'all received an acknowledgement email from QUB yet? I have not received any yet :frown:
Original post by madhu_mitha
Hey guys @international applications have y'all received an acknowledgement email from QUB yet? I have not received any yet :frown:

nopeeee
@Vorpent
Thank you so much! Yes, I score the full points for my Highers. I phoned them up. So i have 33 points for the academics and 3 for UKCAT. 36 points in total. I just hope they don't lower make the cut off more than 36. Considering that every year the cut off has been lowering and last year's was 30, I hope that it isnt more that 36.
Original post by madhu_mitha

yes, they also asked for the scanned copy of my transcripts
Reply 39
Original post by A.Person
@Vorpent
Thank you so much! Yes, I score the full points for my Highers. I phoned them up. So i have 33 points for the academics and 3 for UKCAT. 36 points in total. I just hope they don't lower make the cut off more than 36. Considering that every year the cut off has been lowering and last year's was 30, I hope that it isnt more that 36.

are you sure the cut off was 30 last year? On average the past 5 years the cut off for interview has ranged from 36-38

Latest

Trending

Trending