The Student Room Group

Should I be worried for my GCSE November mocks?

I have been revising everyday, but I have missed a tonne of topics. Also my teachers tell me they will use my mock grades to base my predicted grades which they will send to my sixth form and that worries me.

Scroll to see replies

Honestly do not worry. Your mocks are not the real thing. I barelt scraped a 3 in my chemsitry mock but I got a 7 in my GCSE, and that was the same case with a lot of my GCSE grades. Make sure you're covering those topics you've completely missed or really don't understand but other than that don't worry too much- in a few months time they won't mean anything anyway!
Reply 2
Tbh, they are important. Did you do Y10 mocks? I mean yes they are mocks,. but they will be sent off, and it will be used.
I would try very hard for these mocks as they are as they are important as the real GCSEs because they will decide your Sixth Form application. However, if you’ve done enough revision, you’ll be fine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Don't listen to these people. REVISE FOR YOUR MOCKS! They might not be relevant but they are important so you know what you need to work on!
Predicted GCSE grades are not that important. Predicted A Level grades are a different story though. I know someone that got into sixth form with 2 GCSEs. Some schools (including mine) are a joke to get into.
Original post by Lemonadez
Predicted GCSE grades are not that important. Predicted A Level grades are a different story though. I know someone that got into sixth form with 2 GCSEs. Some schools (including mine) are a joke to get into.

Yea maybe in your school they let everyone in. In my school, you need to work very hard to get a place so stop generalising -.-"
Predicted GCSE grades are DEFINITELY important
Revise for your mocks like they are the real thing, but don't stress about them!!

Teachers and sixth forms know that you will probably get a better grade in your actual GCSEs

Generally sixth forms just want to see that you are on track to pass english and maths, and that you are doing decent in the subjects you want to do

Your teachers will use your mock grades for your predicted grades BUT don't stress. If you get like a 3 or something in one of the subjects you want to do, and you need say a 6 to get into the sixth form, don't worry. Your teachers will most likely also base the grade off of your work in class, class tests etc. They aren't going to hold it against you if you just had an 'off' day, etc. GCSE predicted grades are not very important. They just want to know that you are on track to getting decent grades in the subjects that are relevant to what you want to do

ITS IS IMPORTANT TO REVISE THOUGH

It helps you practise revision for the actual GCSEs, and allows you to see what areas you are stronger / weaker on.
Reply 9
Original post by Raven’s eye
I have been revising everyday, but I have missed a tonne of topics. Also my teachers tell me they will use my mock grades to base my predicted grades which they will send to my sixth form and that worries me.

My mocks are in january but we wont be having pre-public exams however since we are in january i would say use the specification for all your subjects and make notes so you can answer questions how the examiner want you to also by the time you do your GCSEs you will hve covered a lot of topics efficiently.
Original post by sqrt of 5
Yea maybe in your school they let everyone in. In my school, you need to work very hard to get a place so stop generalising -.-"

Working hard for GCSEs??? LOOOL. Never heard of anyone straight tryharding for them.
Original post by a cool potato
Predicted GCSE grades are DEFINITELY important

Sure they are important. So are mocks.

But they aren't the be all end all. If you fail some of your mocks, the sixth form isn't going to be like 'Oh that person has failed a couple of exams that they didn't know the importance of. We aren't going to let them have any chance of getting in'

Your predicted grade will likely be slightly higher than what you get in your mocks, as you are going to improve and develop from now until June (or whenever the exams are lmao)

Sixth forms don't expect you to be predicted all 7/8/9s

If you get a grade 3 in your mocks, but in class you generally work at a much higher level (maybe you struggled with timing / technique, or you didn't revise as well as you could have), your teacher isn't going to predict you a 3, as they know you are capable of more than that.
Sorry, I didn't mean that you shouldn't revise! I had low predicted grades and I really worried about it, but I got into the sixth form I wanted so all I'm saying is revise of course! But don't stress too much I'm sure you'll be fine 😀
Bill Nye is it really you? You’ve been featured in so many of my physics lessons...
Original post by Lemonadez
Working hard for GCSEs??? LOOOL. Never heard of anyone straight tryharding for them.

okok, have a nice day
Original post by Bill Nye
Revise for your mocks like they are the real thing, but don't stress about them!!

Teachers and sixth forms know that you will probably get a better grade in your actual GCSEs

Generally sixth forms just want to see that you are on track to pass english and maths, and that you are doing decent in the subjects you want to do

Your teachers will use your mock grades for your predicted grades BUT don't stress. If you get like a 3 or something in one of the subjects you want to do, and you need say a 6 to get into the sixth form, don't worry. Your teachers will most likely also base the grade off of your work in class, class tests etc. They aren't going to hold it against you if you just had an 'off' day, etc. GCSE predicted grades are not very important. They just want to know that you are on track to getting decent grades in the subjects that are relevant to what you want to do

ITS IS IMPORTANT TO REVISE THOUGH

It helps you practise revision for the actual GCSEs, and allows you to see what areas you are stronger / weaker on.

I quite agree it's well worth trying hard it seems overwhelming having to revise everything you have lernt over your school carrer for an exam heres a dirty little secret about exams they reuse and re word questions look at the kind of questions they most often use revise those bits the mostso you nail them and you should do ok.
When are your mocks, if its in december, u can literally go from a 4 to a 7 in 1 day in a paper.

Don't worry about your mock exams. Notice I said 'Don't worry' not 'don't try'.

You should really pick up on the revision and try and treat them as real as possible now. It's an awesome opportunity that not all schools do. How long do you have until they start?
Original post by mattl1402
Don't worry about your mock exams. Notice I said 'Don't worry' not 'don't try'.

You should really pick up on the revision and try and treat them as real as possible now. It's an awesome opportunity that not all schools do. How long do you have until they start?

They started today, but they finish next week.

Yeah, they're important. The reason why I didn't get into my desired sixthform(s) was because I was predicted at 5's/C's.

Then I got 9's/8's.

They're important, but not life changing.

Quick Reply

Latest