The Student Room Group

Should we stop listening to these Christmas songs?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46425160

American radio station is no longer playing famous Christmas song 'Baby It's Cold Outside' because it's seen as unsuitable in the #MeToo era has reignited a debate about the song, and raised questions about other potentially questionable Christmas classics.

Critics of the song see it as the story of a man pressuring a woman into spending the night when she doesn't want to. In particular, the line "Say what's in this drink?/No cabs to be had out there" has led people to make a link with date rape.

However, a former English teacher wrote a feminist defence of the song in a viral Tumblr post, suggesting the woman "is excusing her uncharacteristically bold behaviour (either to the guy or to herself) by blaming it on the drink". "It is not a joke about how she's drunk and about to be raped," the blog's author wrote. "It's a joke about how she's perfectly sober and about to have awesome consensual sex and use the drink for plausible deniability because she's living in a society where women aren't supposed to have sexual agency."

What do you think?

Other songs that have caused a stir are:
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
Jingle Bells - James Pierpont

Read the article link about to find out why...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I happen to have seen a commentary on Baby It's Cold Outside, but I'm about to switch class, so for now I'll just put this thread where I can find it again.

edit: you know things are getting deep when todo uses caps
edit: it turns out the 'commentary' i was looking for was the blog article you referenced! lucky for me, i almost typed like sixty paragraphs out.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
I did not know that about jingle bells, though, yikes. That's awful.
Oh please, how stupid can people get these days these people are just total jokes.
In that case 90% of the music industry should be terminated, mostly all songs have sexual innuendo if you interpret it like that, for gods sake, I could interpret all I want for Christmas as a girl lusting for her boyfriend and then all of a sudden it’s a question of ‘wait a minute why couldn’t she be lusting after a girl’ and then it’s sexist all of a sudden, the world is getting so sensitive that people actually cannot, physically cannot just let it slide, noooo, god forbid we let something slide because that might actually result in a happier more sedate world.Pfft
(edited 5 years ago)
People are too sensitive nowadays
Surely you could ban Christmas songs altogether because they aren't inclusive of minorities who only take part in the festive season due to peer pressure?
Reply 7
Nearly every popular song has explicit references about women...are we gunna ban those too? Imho its just a song
Surpsied nobody Is loosing their **** over white Christmas
Snowflakes everywhere. Literally and figuratively.
Original post by Spirithorse

American radio station is no longer playing famous Christmas song 'Baby It's Cold Outside' because it's seen as unsuitable in the #MeToo era has reignited a debate about the song, and raised questions about other potentially questionable Christmas classics.

Critics of the song see it as the story of a man pressuring a woman into spending the night when she doesn't want to. In particular, the line "Say what's in this drink?/No cabs to be had out there" has led people to make a link with date rape.

However, a former English teacher wrote a feminist defence of the song in a viral Tumblr post, suggesting the woman "is excusing her uncharacteristically bold behaviour (either to the guy or to herself) by blaming it on the drink". "It is not a joke about how she's drunk and about to be raped," the blog's author wrote. "It's a joke about how she's perfectly sober and about to have awesome consensual sex and use the drink for plausible deniability because she's living in a society where women aren't supposed to have sexual agency."

What do you think?

If people are that worried about it just cut out bits of the song - like they already do with jingle bells. No one sings the old versus any more.
Fairytale of newyork - just take one 1 word and its not to bad
Do they know its christmas - they dealt with it for us by releasing new versions with modern lyrics

Baby its cold outside is a bit harder because it depends on the version. There are many versions of it where the girl is being playful, and teasing the guy - pretending to not be interested etc. There are also many versions where the roles are reversed either straight out, or at the half-way point of the song. Again, if people are worried a few tweaks and its fine.

Music evolves over time, and lyrics changing to fit society has happened again and again for almost all music, including christmas music. No need to get rid of a good song, just a few tweaks if people want - then carry on.
Personally couldn't give less of a toss. I shall continue to play it- it's a stone cold Christmas classic.

The only song I take partial offence to is Do They Know It's Christmas Time, as I find it outrageously patronising to Africa, and a gross over-simplification of the entire continent. It's still a classic, though, and still a regular on my Christmas playlist (the original, not the awful modern version).
Original post by navarre
..........The only song I take partial offence to is Do They Know It's Christmas Time, as I find it outrageously patronising to Africa, and a gross over-simplification of the entire continent. ..............

You are joking aren't you?
Everyone knows the song is referring to Ethiopia, not the whole goddamn continent.
Africa is just easier to sing than Ethiopia, I had trouble actually spelling it.
Original post by Spirithorse

What do you think?

They are traditional songs so no I will not stop listening to them, some people are so pathetic if they have a problem with this songs, the world has gone mad.
Regressive 'liberal' puritanism at its best. How can a song that tells the story of a young woman choosing to do what she wants to do with the man she loves despite the strictures and likely criticisms of a hypocritical society be worthy of being banned.

The line about the drink is her practising a possible response to the censorious relatives, not a sign of being slipped a Micky Finn.

Go signal your virtue elsewhere, puritan!
Complete non story. radio station in Ohio that I had no idea existed.
What sort of rapist bothers doing date rape drugs when he's already got the probably overpowerable woman in his house on her own? The date rape interpretation makes no real sense on any basis, nevermind the fact that it was performed in 1949 where date rape drugs likely weren't a heavily publicised thing like they are now. P sure back then casual sex of any kind was still regarded as morally questionable by quite a few folk, nobody's gonna be singing songs about slipping women drugs. This is entirely a problem with imparting modern concepts onto songs that aren't all that modern.

The criticism of the Pogues is daft. My understanding was that the two characters in the song were supposed to be horribly offensive towards each other, so bunging words that aren't so nice in it makes perfect sense. It's not orientated around shaming gay people or anything. Suppose context isn't allowed now tho.

Band Aid I'd take the Bob Geldof line, it probably wasn't designed to be heavily specific so long as it was vaguely related to the Ethiopia famine going on at the time.

As for jingle bells, the tune itself has no problems with it. Origin is iffy, but then Volkswagen was basically first made by the nazis and we ain't about to ban the VW golf.
Oh well, if you don't like someones creative work, just change it! :rolleyes:
Well a lot of christmas songs have been sung by people in blackface... the BBC seems to be forgetting that it was responsible for a large proportion of it...
I actually agree though :rofl: work had the radio on and this song came on, a man and woman duet and it was...so creepy lol I was somehow ended up listening to the lyrics closely and it just seemed weird because first of all this is Christmas not Valentine's day and 2nd, it's just weird and sounds like ****. The song itself is bad and this particular version, they sounded about ready to **** each other. I prefer Winter Wonderland lol.

Quick Reply

Latest