The Student Room Group

Core Maths and Phsyics??

Poll

Core Maths and Phsyics??

I want to do Physics at A Level to have a maths subject so is there any point in taking core maths and if I do take core maths should I take biology instead at A Level
Sorry somehow managed to spell physics wrong 😂
Having maths is useful but not essential when taking physics since most of the calculations are straightforward. You should take the subject(s) which most interest you.
Original post by secret.user
I want to do Physics at A Level to have a maths subject so is there any point in taking core maths and if I do take core maths should I take biology instead at A Level

If you are going to do physics, then you really should do maths, you basically get 2 a levels for doing 1 and a half a levels of work thanks to the huge overlap. However if you have no intrest in going into maths or physics, dont bother with either of them.

Do what you enjoy at a level, because your stuck with whatever you pick now for the rest of your life (more or less.)
If you want to go on and study physics at uni core maths wont' be enough - you need the full maths A level. Core maths is AS standard but studied over 2 years - it won't count as a full A level for applying to uni. So you would need to do 3 A levels + core maths, not 2 A levels + core maths. (You could possibly get onto a foundation year with 2 + core maths - you need to check uni websites)

Without saying what you want to go on and do, and your other subject(s) it's hard to make suggestions
Which core maths are you considering is it level 3 ?
Original post by 2childmum
If you want to go on and study physics at uni core maths wont' be enough - you need the full maths A level. Core maths is AS standard but studied over 2 years - it won't count as a full A level for applying to uni. So you would need to do 3 A levels + core maths, not 2 A levels + core maths. (You could possibly get onto a foundation year with 2 + core maths - you need to check uni websites)

Without saying what you want to go on and do, and your other subject(s) it's hard to make suggestions

Thank you for the advice
I also want to take geography and history for a level
Original post by Sofiaaaaa1
Which core maths are you considering is it level 3 ?

Yeah it’s level 3
Original post by secret.user
Yeah it’s level 3

Its only for a year so depending on what u want to do in the future its a good idea i found core maths pretty easy its mainly statistics and basic math theres no algebra and hardly any difficult graph work so it wont really help you with physics
Original post by Sofiaaaaa1
Its only for a year so depending on what u want to do in the future its a good idea i found core maths pretty easy its mainly statistics and basic math theres no algebra and hardly any difficult graph work so it wont really help you with physics

Thank you so much for the advice, I think I’ll do it now if it’s not too bad.
Hey you’ve probably already chosen and all but I’m starting college next week and I will be studying Biology, Chemistry and Physics. My college strongly advised me to do core maths additionally and today I said I would because it is 40% of an A-Level and there’s no harm in doing it..plus it’s extra ucas points..all the best!

Quick Reply

Latest