The Student Room Group

Which car is my luxurious Audi or Mercedes?

Quality, brand etc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DillyDilly0121
Quality, brand etc

Your question makes no sense...
Original post by Doonesbury
Your question makes no sense...

Yes it absolutely does.

OP the answer is mercedes.
Original post by punkdilla
Yes it absolutely does.

OP the answer is mercedes.

I agree
Reply 4
Yes it absolutely does.

Nope. "Which car is my luxurious..." makes no sense.

"Which car is *most* luxurious..." might make some sense though.
Nope. "Which car is my luxurious..." makes no sense.

"Which car is *most* luxurious..." might make some sense though.

As a 'community leader' you really gonna be so petty as take someone to task for making a typo. Jeez.
As a 'community leader' you really gonna be so petty as take someone to task for making a typo. Jeez.

Speaking of Typos
Original post by DillyDilly0121
Quality, brand etc

Mercedes imo.

But I'd rather opt for a Lexus.
Original post by Oneiropólos
Speaking of Typos

you forgot a fullstop and typo isn't capitalised
Reply 9
Original post by Blue_Cow
Mercedes imo.

But I'd rather opt for a Lexus.

I've never been in one - are they all that? (Certainly pricey... )
I've never been in one - are they all that? (Certainly pricey... )

They're quite nice. Ride isn't exactly the same or as good as a German motor vehicle, but by god are they are a lot more reliable than an Audi/Merc
There's really not much between the three premium German manufacturers (i.e. BMW, Mercedes and Audi)... but the most popular is definitely BMW.

All started in the 1980's... when everyone was a money grabbing b@stard lol. If you were young and successful, then a BMW 3 series was THE car to be seen in. Back then, a Mercedes was seen as an "old mans" car, and an Audi was seen as you weren't as successful in life otherwise you'd have a BMW. However, in recent years, BMW have become too popular and I now see them as (dare I say it) a bit common (The traditional Mondeo man is now BMW man ffs)... In short, BMW has become a victim of its own success and allowed Audi and Mercedes to catch up.

If it's pedigree, then out of the two, it has to be Mercedes; as it's this manufacturer who patented what is widely accepted to be the first motor car in 1884. On the other hand, every Audi is basically the equivalent VW model, but in a smart business suit. The only exception here is the R8, which is basically a cheap Lamborghini Gallardo.

However, if it's true luxury you want, consider their bigger brothers

Audi= Bentley
BMW= Rolls Royce
Mercedes= Maybach
Reply 12
Original post by Blue_Cow
They're quite nice. Ride isn't exactly the same or as good as a German motor vehicle, but by god are they are a lot more reliable than an Audi/Merc

Hmm, I've had 2 Audis without major problems (touches wood)... current one is 11 years old (owned from almost new). But yeah anecdote isn't data :wink:

Might go and have a look at a Lexus for when the time comes :yy:
Reply 13
Original post by Old Skool Freak
but the most popular is definitely BMW.

Nope: 1) Mercedes, 2) Audi, 3) BMW by global, and also UK, marketshare.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mercedes-benz-beats-audi-and-bmw-worlds-top-premium-car-maker
Why don't you watch some car review videos on youtube?
They give a good insight into the interiors, so you can judge for yourself which car you'd rather be in :smile:
Nope: 1) Mercedes, 2) Audi, 3) BMW by global, and also UK, marketshare.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mercedes-benz-beats-audi-and-bmw-worlds-top-premium-car-maker

That may well be true of recent years' especially on a global scale ( I can definitely see Mercedes doing much better in Asian markets such as China), but I'm talking trends over the past 20-30 years; specifically about UK / European Market.

I'm basing my figure on how many cars are for sale on the Autotrader website. On there, it can be seen there are currently 43,007 Beemers for sale, compared to 34,301 Audi's and 37,301 Merc's

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/
Reply 16
Original post by Old Skool Freak
That may well be true of recent years' especially on a global scale ( I can definitely see Mercedes doing much better in Asian markets such as China), but I'm talking trends over the past 20-30 years; specifically about UK / European Market.

I'm basing my figure on how many cars are for sale on the Autotrader website. On there, it can be seen there are currently 43,007 Beemers for sale, compared to 34,301 Audi's and 37,301 Merc's

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/

I imagine the OP is interested in the current status not what happened 20-30 years ago (or the used car market)... my link had UK data in it too :wink:

Also, maybe beemer owners change their car more frequently? :dontknow:
(edited 5 years ago)
I think that MIGHT have something to do with the pedigree thing I mentioned earlier. The other thing is that in the past, Mercedes used to over-engineer their cars... so they also had a reputation of building extremely strong cars (it's rumoured the "ribbed light" feature on Mercedes cars was so the lights don't get clogged up with sand in the desert). Unfortunately, it's far less true of the cars they made in the past 10-15 years.
you forgot a fullstop and typo isn't capitalised

We’re talking about spelling here, I won’t make sure I have proper punctuation unless it’s necessary like the comma I just used
I imagine the OP is interested in the current status not what happened 20-30 years ago (or the used car market)... my link had UK data in it too :wink:

You say OP is interested in the current status, but your link is almost a year old :wink: :tongue: :lol:

And for the record, I'm not talking about what happened specifically 20-30 years ago, but overall trends since the the 80's heyday. Granted, Mercedes may have had the biggest market share in 2017, but how many times have they previously won? Also, do we have any indication of this years stats / figures?

Also, maybe beemer owners change their car more frequently? :dontknow:

I doubt it (well no more than the equivalent Audi / Mercedes owner). I do know that M3 owners tend to change their cars frequently, but the same can be said for the equivalent Mercedes (C AMG) and Audis (S/ RS) models. As I said, all of those manufacturers attract the same demographic for the equivalent model (it's not like we're comparing Bentleys and Fords lol)

The only thing I will say is that some Mercedes / Audi owners think the BMW image has got a bit tacky in recent years.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending