The Student Room Group

Mechanics question

Question:
Eddy cycles up a hill. His mass, together with his bicycle, is 92 kg. His driving force is 125 N and resistance from friction is 45 N. Eddy travels 350 metres along the road which rises through a vertical height of 32 metres. His starting speed is 8.2 m s−1. Find his final speed.

I know the formulae but I cant get the right answer.
Reply 1
help
Original post by Rico07
Question:
Eddy cycles up a hill. His mass, together with his bicycle, is 92 kg. His driving force is 125 N and resistance from friction is 45 N. Eddy travels 350 metres along the road which rises through a vertical height of 32 metres. His starting speed is 8.2 m s−1. Find his final speed.

What have you tried?

Find the gain in KE by considering energy and work done
Hence find final speed
what’s the answer (don’t wanna give u the wrong method)?
Reply 4
You’ll need to use a mix of SUVAT and F=MA. What is the answer, I’ll do it in a sec and see if I can get the correct answer for you.
Reply 5
Original post by BobbJo
What have you tried?

Find the gain in KE by considering energy and work done
Hence find final speed

Thats where im struggling. Is it rght to say Final Kinetic + Final GPE = Initial Kinetic - Energy lost ?
Original post by Rico07
Thats where im struggling. Is it rght to say Final Kinetic + Final GPE = Initial Kinetic - Energy lost ?

No
Final KE = Initial KE + Work done by driving force - Work done against friction - gain in GPE
Reply 7
Original post by BobbJo
No
Final KE = Initial KE + Work done by driving force - Work done against friction - gain in GPE

Ah that makes sense. Thank you thats all I needed.
Original post by Rico07
Question:

Original post by Rico07
Ah that makes sense. Thank you thats all I needed.

The content of energy concept in A level is usually easy but it is a well-known fact that many teachers are not teaching it properly for students to approach energy or work problems systematically.

I understand that you had already worked out the answer to the question. But I suggest that you try to approach such question in a systematic way in future.

The general approach is:
1. Choose a system based on the problem
2. Write down the conservation of energy equation for the system (avoid writing initial total energy is equal to final total energy as this tends to cause some confusion. Students who write such equation usually don’t know what is the system that they have chosen.)

Original post by Rico07

Original post by BobbJo
No

A better form of conservation of energy equation
ΔKE of system + ΔPE of the system = Work done on the system by external agents

Quick Reply

Latest