The Student Room Group

Bekah’s journey in passing A-Levels

Hi,
I’ve always been interested in writing blogs but never had the guts to start one. GYG has given me the opportunity to do so, so here I am. It could all go horribly wrong but at least I’m giving it a go (my thoughts before writing every English essay)

I study: English Literature, Business Studies and Photography. I hope to go on to university (fingers crossed Falmouth- it is the nicest uni I have every seen- in my opinion) to study Photography.

Who knows what I’ll end up writing about. I’m hoping that if I start this, it might help me come to terms with the fact I can’t write English essays- it probably won’t but oh well.

I’ve become so fixated on the fact that I can’t write English essays, that whenever I’m given one to do the first thing that comes into my head is ‘I can’t do this’- which leads to me not doing very well. Therefore, I thought I’d start writing a GYG blog now- to follow my journey in changing my essay mindset.

Thank you for reading (if you have been) and I’ll write again soon.

RM x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Best of luck!! :rave:
Reply 2
Thank you!!
Reply 3
Original post by bmclaren66
Thank you!!

:hugs:
I would suggest quoting people who reply on your thread because not everyone gets notifications when you post something :redface: (I didn't quote you b/c I knew you would get the notification for it b/c this is your thread) On the app, hold the post you want to quote and click quote :thumbsup: and on the website, it's the orange button that says quote :yes:
Reply 4
Thank you! Never really posted on here before 😁
Reply 5
Thank you! Never really posted on here before 😁

Original post by nyxnko_
:hugs:
I would suggest quoting people who reply on your thread because not everyone gets notifications when you post something :redface: (I didn't quote you b/c I knew you would get the notification for it b/c this is your thread) On the app, hold the post you want to quote and click quote :thumbsup: and on the website, it's the orange button that says quote :yes:

Thank you! Did it wrong again hahah! Never really posted on the student room before :smile:
Good luck! What are you studying in Eng Lit?
Reply 7
Original post by froggi.png
Good luck! What are you studying in Eng Lit?

Thank you! I’m studying Dracula and The Bloody Chamber, Hamlet, Rossetti’s poetry and Ibsen’s ‘A Doll’s House’. Do you take Eng Lit?
Thank you! I’m studying Dracula and The Bloody Chamber, Hamlet, Rossetti’s poetry and Ibsen’s ‘A Doll’s House’. Do you take Eng Lit?

Aah are you doing Gothic? I'm jealous! I was hoping for Gothic but I'm doing Dystopia instead (though I'm enjoying that a lot too!)
Rossetti honestly makes me want to never read poetry again lmaoo
Ooh I love Falmouth Uni! Good luck :thumbsup:
Thank you! Did it wrong again hahah! Never really posted on the student room before :smile:

Dw, most people don't realise until they start using it a bit more :yes:
Aah are you doing Gothic? I'm jealous! I was hoping for Gothic but I'm doing Dystopia instead (though I'm enjoying that a lot too!)
Rossetti honestly makes me want to never read poetry again lmaoo

Ask war I’m managing gothic without fully reading Dracula (it takes me a while to read 😂). We haven’t got far into Rossstti and I already dislike it. What’s dystopia like? We chose gothic because it is what my teacher did for her dissertation.
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Ooh I love Falmouth Uni! Good luck :thumbsup:

It is lush! All my family live down there, so if I went I’d be going home really.
It is lush! All my family live down there, so if I went I’d be going home really.

I live in Devon, so it's only about an hour from me, I was going to go there when I wanted to study Journalism, but I've since changed my mind :biggrin: Fingers crossed you get in.:smile:
Original post by wastedcuriosity
I live in Devon, so it's only about an hour from me, I was going to go there when I wanted to study Journalism, but I've since changed my mind :biggrin: Fingers crossed you get in.:smile:

Ahh cool! Thank you. X
Ask war I’m managing gothic without fully reading Dracula (it takes me a while to read 😂). We haven’t got far into Rossstti and I already dislike it. What’s dystopia like? We chose gothic because it is what my teacher did for her dissertation.

Ooh just wait until you get to the 15 page incest goblin r*pe poem 🙃
Dystopia's good! Pretty easy to understand and write about in terms of conventions and stuff, as long as you pick good texts. We've studied 1984, Handmaid's Tale and Fahrenheit 451, though I think I'm mostly going to focus on the other two since 451 doesn't have anything the other two don't already have
Ooh just wait until you get to the 15 page incest goblin r*pe poem 🙃
Dystopia's good! Pretty easy to understand and write about in terms of conventions and stuff, as long as you pick good texts. We've studied 1984, Handmaid's Tale and Fahrenheit 451, though I think I'm mostly going to focus on the other two since 451 doesn't have anything the other two don't already have

Ahh that’s good! Oh don’t worry, we started with goblin market 😂 a truly lovely poem 😂😂
Wishing you luck!
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Wishing you luck!

Thank you! :smile:
Why can I write Business essays but not English essays?
Merry Christmas everyone! Hope your holidays are being filled with happiness.

Today I thought i'd talk about my struggle with english essays (which I may end up talking about a lot- so sorry if it bores you) I've often wondered why I seem able to write an essay in business but not in English, and i think i've finally found the answer.

In business you learn equations, theories and case studies that are selected and put into topics, which when it comes to essays/exams, can be placed and written about in the write context under the write question giving you perfect A* grades (I wish). Where as, in English you learn about a book, its context and critics, which you can tenuously link to question to get a perfect A* grades (I blooming wish this were true)

What I'm trying to say is, in Business there are right and wrong answers, to respond to a question with (such as, a benefit to a competitive advantage isn't a loss in profit), where as, in English there isn't really a right or wrong answer, a lot of english is based on matter of opinion, also in english as i said earlier, anthing can tenuously link to a question, written in the right way. (which i don't seem able to do)

This is what I think I struggle with: I'm so scared of getting something wrong that I start to stress and get into such a frenzy that I can't actually write anything. Does anyone else in the world struggle with essays as much as I do?

P.S Famous playwright Hhenrik Ibsen, after overhearing his nurse assure a visitor he was doing better, spluttered his last words: "on the contrary!"

Thank you for reading (if you have been), write again soon

RM x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending