The Student Room Group

Does this make me plastic/glory hunter?

I was born in Blackpool but i was born into a united family, mainly my dad who is also a lifelong fan. I have supported Man United since I was very little and I have always watched them and am a season ticket holder. It’s not necessarily my fault I don’t support my local because I was raised a red and always have been.

Does this make a plastic fan/ a glory hunter? Just want some honest opinions from footy fans
Original post by Imy22
I was born in Blackpool but i was born into a united family, mainly my dad who is also a lifelong fan. I have supported Man United since I was very little and I have always watched them and am a season ticket holder. It’s not necessarily my fault I don’t support my local because I was raised a red and always have been.

Does this make a plastic fan/ a glory hunter? Just want some honest opinions from footy fans

Not at all
Well Man Utd are terrible these days so I think you're fine - no one will be calling you a glory hunter.
Reply 3
Original post by Imy22

No, not at all.

It's not like you switched to supporting united after supporting your local.
Don't listen to anyone about football fandom, and support who you like.

The thing about being a football fan is that there are no qualifying criteria for it. You say you're a fan and that's it - you're a fan.

Living in a particular place, or being from a particular place, or knowing a particular bit of history or statistics doesn't make you more or less a fan than anyone else.
The people who use the terms plastic and gloryhunter are just getting a bit green, because their club isn't their little local place of worship. They try and gatekeep the right to support X F.C because these people happen to not live centimetres from the stadium. I got **** for supporting Chelsea (being Scottish) since 2012, especially since it took 6 years before I went to Stamford Bridge. But it's not like I ditched them to hop on the bandwagons of, say, Leicester or Man City (which isn't exactly a war crime either), I stuck with them when we finished mid table, when we were challenging for the title on JM's return season, but then **** the bed, and when we missed out on 4th place after falling apart in January last season. I'd hate to be a shill for Sky Sports, but the Premier League is that big of a spectacle, it's hard to ignore, and simply fun to support a team in it.
As long as you support your team through thick and thin and never change your team, you're not a plastic/glory hunter.

Quick Reply

Latest