The Student Room Group

Higher English 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Anyone done the p&n prelim yet? Am bricking it for the essays
Original post by cmary02
Anyone done the p&n prelim yet? Am bricking it for the essays

Yeah, I've just done it today. What text are you doing?
i’m doing mine on monday, i’m doing Slab Boys and The Great Gatsby as my essay! how did you find the CR?
Original post by A1renegade
Yeah, I've just done it today. What text are you doing?

Crichton Smith short stories for the essay, duffy for textual analysis
Original post by leylaaa23
i’m doing mine on monday, i’m doing Slab Boys and The Great Gatsby as my essay! how did you find the CR?

By CR do you mean close reading or critical reading? Lol.

The close reading was actually alright. Much easier than practice ones we've done in class, which I suppose is a good thing. The passages are about Titanic if you care about that.

As for critical reading, I think it was quite hard. I didn't quite get the 10 marker question finished on the TA because I had to move on to the the essay. I'm doing Men should weep for my Scottish text.

I'm doing The Godfather for the essay so I could have easily written an essay for any of the questions. For film the questions were something about sound/lighting, a character which has an important dilemma, and an opening sequence question.

Good luck for your exam!
Original post by cmary02

I'm doing Men Should Weep and The Godfather so I can't give you any clues for the essay question unfortunately. Good luck though!
By CR do you mean close reading or critical reading? Lol.

The close reading was actually alright. Much easier than practice ones we've done in class, which I suppose is a good thing. The passages are about Titanic if you care about that.

As for critical reading, I think it was quite hard. I didn't quite get the 10 marker question finished on the TA because I had to move on to the the essay. I'm doing Men should weep for my Scottish text.

I'm doing The Godfather for the essay so I could have easily written an essay for any of the questions. For film the questions were something about sound/lighting, a character which has an important dilemma, and an opening sequence question.

Good luck for your exam!

well i mean that should be easy considering i’ve watched it like 15 times... lol probs not. but thank you and i hope everything went well for you!
I'm doing Men Should Weep and The Godfather so I can't give you any clues for the essay question unfortunately. Good luck though!

aw, cheers anyway, was hoping you might have caught a glance - hope your grade comes back good!!
Hey, could you give me any tips on how to produce the best folio pieces for Higher English. I’m doing a personal essay and a discursive?
Do you remember what the Novel/Prose Critical Essay question was?
Original post by cmary02

Hey,

Did you find out what the Critical Essay question was for prose/what were the options?
Original post by hipster82
Do you remember what the Novel/Prose Critical Essay question was?

Unfortunately I did a film so I didn't look at any other sections. Good luck though!
Hey,

Did you find out what the Critical Essay question was for prose/what were the options?

It might not seem like it, but you're best not finding this out...You won't know in advance for the real exam, and for you to get the most out of your prelims in terms of being able to learn from them and get an idea of how you're doing, not knowing the questions is important. Up to you what you do, but you're kidding yourself on if you do well based on knowing the questions in advance.

Hope that the prelim goes well for you when it comes :smile:
Hey, how do you revise 10mk questions for Jekyll and Hyde? I'm doing that one too, and as it's the first year it's on the set text list, there aren't many example questions...
Original post by ChrisC19
Hey, how do you revise 10mk questions for Jekyll and Hyde? I'm doing that one too, and as it's the first year it's on the set text list, there aren't many example questions...

:wavey: I've moved this over to the main Higher English thread for you- hopefully someone here will be able to help :smile:
Original post by ChrisC19

Hey man,

The 2019 P&N paper is fantastic! I’m not sure if you want to know the exact questions, but the paper is genuinely so good.
Doing Jekyll and Hyde too. Any tips on how to revise this as it's new on the list of set texts, so there aren't any past papers...
Hey man,

The 2019 P&N paper is fantastic! I’m not sure if you want to know the exact questions, but the paper is genuinely so good.

great, thanks! I'll take a look.
How can u look at the p&n papers ?? Also is anyone doing death of a salesman for critical essay and could share any notes ?! I literally don’t have anything to write about it
Reply 39
Original post by keitlenchips
our school for whatever reason is no longer doing its usual text for the Scottish text (they normally do carol ann duffy) as we’re doing Jekyll and Hyde. And for the essay, we’re doing The Devils Wife or Schlinder’s List.

is anyone else doing Jekyll and Hyde 😭 I like the book but don’t want to answer questions on it

We are doing Jekyll and Hyde, and Poems by Don Paterson. How did you find the prelim?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending