The Student Room Group

Doing EPQ in Year 9

Hello, at my school some Year 9 students (including me) have been chosen to do the EPQ. I’m really not sure if I should do it now whilst my knowledge isn’t as developed, or wait until Year 12 when I can make it more relevant to what I want to do at university. My sister, who is currently in Year 12 (although she chose to do core maths instead of the EPQ), thinks I should wait until then and my parents don’t mind what I do. I would probably choose to do Gender inequality or something but I don’t know if I should drop it. I just feel like I will get too stressed, and I’m already doing the Duke of Edinburgh Award course at the moment on top of my regular schoolwork. I’m really not sure what to do and I have a meeting today... Any advice?
I do EPQ and I'm in year 12. Don't do it in year 9. You won't be able to cope with it, trust me. Maybe do the HPQ but definitely not the EPQ. I'm not trying to be rude by saying you wouldn't be able to cope with it, but I'm just being honest it would have been waaaaaaay too much for me in year 9.
Reply 2
Original post by HowToBeABlobfish
I do EPQ and I'm in year 12. Don't do it in year 9. You won't be able to cope with it, trust me. Maybe do the HPQ but definitely not the EPQ. I'm not trying to be rude by saying you wouldn't be able to cope with it, but I'm just being honest it would have been waaaaaaay too much for me in year 9.

Ok thanks! That’s good because I dropped it in the meeting today 😂 everyone else had loads of ideas and I was just sitting there getting stressed and I thought, if I’m already getting anxious before I’ve even started, I probably won’t be able to handle the workload of the actual thing 😬
Original post by lazypeach27
Hello, at my school some Year 9 students (including me) have been chosen to do the EPQ. I’m really not sure if I should do it now whilst my knowledge isn’t as developed, or wait until Year 12 when I can make it more relevant to what I want to do at university. My sister, who is currently in Year 12 (although she chose to do core maths instead of the EPQ), thinks I should wait until then and my parents don’t mind what I do. I would probably choose to do Gender inequality or something but I don’t know if I should drop it. I just feel like I will get too stressed, and I’m already doing the Duke of Edinburgh Award course at the moment on top of my regular schoolwork. I’m really not sure what to do and I have a meeting today... Any advice?

Sounds bonkers.

Of the other year 9 students then what grades have they been getting?

I would say do the research in year 12 summer and you are in a good place. You havent even done GCSE yet compared to mid A level students. Ive never heard of students doing an EPQ so early.
Reply 4
Alright this might just be a thing only in England or I am just really stupid, but what is EPQ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JustLewis
Alright this might just be an England thing or I am just really stupid, but what is EPQ?

Extended Project Qualification. You take a topic of your choice as long as it isn't directly related to your subject syllabus and write a 5000 word dissertation on it.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Sounds bonkers.

Of the other year 9 students then what grades have they been getting?

I would say do the research in year 12 summer and you are in a good place. You havent even done GCSE yet compared to mid A level students. Ive never heard of students doing an EPQ so early.

We haven’t really started it yet so they haven’t been given grades. The first meeting was yesterday but I dropped it. I know previous years have done it in year 9 at my school and I don’t imagine they got very high grades, but I think it’s like a different level EPQ (at least that’s what our teacher/advisor said) to year 12, since you can apparently do it in both years... Yeah I couldn’t find anywhere on the internet mentioning doing it in year 9, which is why I thought I should just wait until year 12.
Oml, I didn't know EPQs existed until we were starting to think about our A-Level choices a few months ago and I'm in Year 11! :rofl:

It's totally up to you, but personally I would wait as it's quite a lot of pressure. Then again, if you think you'll be able to cope then go for it!
We haven’t really started it yet so they haven’t been given grades. The first meeting was yesterday but I dropped it. I know previous years have done it in year 9 at my school and I don’t imagine they got very high grades, but I think it’s like a different level EPQ (at least that’s what our teacher/advisor said) to year 12, since you can apparently do it in both years... Yeah I couldn’t find anywhere on the internet mentioning doing it in year 9, which is why I thought I should just wait until year 12.

The Y9 one is the HPQ not an EPQ. It is only 2-3000 words from memory. Lots of schools do it - it is not that difficult and both my sons got A* without too much effort. It is a really good way of testing yourself, exploring an extension of a subject and learning how to research, time manage and reference effectively, in a year at school where there is not a lot else going on. Maybe you should rethink it?

Well I think simbasoul has cleared the issue up.

My advice is if your hands are full with DoE Gold? then get that completed and leave EPQ till 12.

Depending in the circumstances EPQ isnt always needed or relevant.
Priority is always grades from your best three A levels.
If you do the EPQ then get started early.

Quick Reply

Latest