The Student Room Group

History coursework

I really need help with my history coursework, the title is :'To what extent was he Holocaust he result of a long term plan by the Nazis' My teacher keeps being negative she's telling me it's impossible to answer, but I don't want to change it, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should research in particular to answer this question Please ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarah487
I really need help with my history coursework, the title is :'To what extent was he Holocaust he result of a long term plan by the Nazis' My teacher keeps being negative she's telling me it's impossible to answer, but I don't want to change it, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should research in particular to answer this question Please ?

Look up Intentionalism Vs Functionalism regarding the Holocaust. It's a well documented debate.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Look up Intentionalism Vs Functionalism regarding the Holocaust. It's a well documented debate.

Thankyou, I will research more into this, do you think reasons such as the Nazis' ideology e.g Aryan race are good reasons ?
The Nazis drew up laws early such as the Law for the Restoration of the Civil Service in 1933 or the Nuremburg Laws in 1935, so they definitely planned to purge in professions
Thankyou, I will research more into this, do you think reasons such as the Nazis' ideology e.g Aryan race are good reasons ?

i dont think so. You need more sophisticated ideas

'Good reasons' for what?
Reply 6
'Good reasons' for what?

As in like strong arguments for my essay title, and when you mentioned sophisticated ideas, could you explain that in further detail please?
As in like strong arguments for my essay title, and when you mentioned sophisticated ideas, could you explain that in further detail please?

It wasn't me who mentioned sophisticated ideas. However, I think your essay title is perfectly reasonable. The weakness is perhaps that it has been picked over many times before - just look at the wiki page on it.
Reply 8
It wasn't me who mentioned sophisticated ideas. However, I think your essay title is perfectly reasonable. The weakness is perhaps that it has been picked over many times before - just look at the wiki page on it.

Ok thankyou do you have any other tips for a level history coursework please, because everything I try to show to my teacher it always seems 'wrong' I hope she's not playing me .
Ok thankyou do you have any other tips for a level history coursework please, because everything I try to show to my teacher it always seems 'wrong' I hope she's not playing me .

Not particularly. There's a very good guide to writing history essays in the Study Help area..

Perhaps she doesn't understand the question? 😆
Reply 10
Not particularly. There's a very good guide to writing history essays in the Study Help area..

Perhaps she doesn't understand the question? 😆

Ok thanks do you study history a level
Ok thanks do you study history a level

I did a long time ago when it was very different. I also have a history degree.
Reply 12
I did a long time ago when it was very different. I also have a history degree.

Well, the only thing that has changed is that it's a lot harder, because of the content. How do I get an A in my coursework please? My teacher always talks about how I need to add heaps and heaps of knowledge to evaluate my sources and I need to explain more about the historian himself ? I just hope I get my drafts done by June with my teacher to be honest
Well, the only thing that has changed is that it's a lot harder, because of the content. How do I get an A in my coursework please? My teacher always talks about how I need to add heaps and heaps of knowledge to evaluate my sources and I need to explain more about the historian himself ? I just hope I get my drafts done by June with my teacher to be honest

It's not harder.

She probably means that you have to understand and explain where your sources are coming from. Are they Nazi party members or communists? Are they domestic or foreign media? Are they speeches for public consumption for private comments in a diary?

Ditto the historians. Do they have a particular political stance? Where have they got their information from.

Go and have a good look at the Intentionalist v structuralist debate. It's far from impossible given the number of historians who have weighed in upon it.
Reply 14
It's not harder.

She probably means that you have to understand and explain where your sources are coming from. Are they Nazi party members or communists? Are they domestic or foreign media? Are they speeches for public consumption for private comments in a diary?

Ditto the historians. Do they have a particular political stance? Where have they got their information from.

Go and have a good look at the Intentionalist v structuralist debate. It's far from impossible given the number of historians who have weighed in upon it.

Ok that's great I thought that I needed to change my essay title. I just don't want to go back to square 1
Ok that's great I thought that I needed to change my essay title. I just don't want to go back to square 1

Read through the wiki article on the issue to get an idea of the debate.

Has your teacher raised specific objections?
Reply 16
Read through the wiki article on the issue to get an idea of the debate.

Has your teacher raised specific objections?

My history teacher now wants me to change my question from ''To what extent was the Holocaust the result of a long term plan by the Nazis' to ...'To what extent was the Holocaust caused by a premeditated plan by the Nazis ?'
Do you think this would work ?
My history teacher now wants me to change my question from ''To what extent was the Holocaust the result of a long term plan by the Nazis' to ...'To what extent was the Holocaust caused by a premeditated plan by the Nazis ?'

Yes, the point of emphasis is more precise though will cover pretty much the same ground.

PS Which board is this for?
Reply 19
Yes, the point of emphasis is more precise though will cover pretty much the same ground.

What do you mean when you said it would cover the same grounds, do you mean the research have done into the Aryan race ,volgermeinshaft and Leberesaum and Nazi ideology would be relevant and not suddenly thrown away ?

Quick Reply

Latest