The Student Room Group

GYG: Engineering Edition

Hi GYG community, I'm Holly.

It's February, which means I've finally realised I need to get my sh*t together with A-Levels. Most of you have probably started revising months ago... but we can't all be perfect students, right? The 2019 diary finally has some exam dates in it and the wave of stress is washing over me. New year, sadly the same me. :s-smilie:

I have never blogged on TSR before, or anywhere online. Not really sure what half the buttons do or if I'm posting this in the right place. Bare with me.

Here's some info about what I'm doing/my plans:

Currently Studying/Predicted Grades:

Physics (B)
German (A)
Art and Design (A)
Welsh Bacc (A)

AS Grades:

Maths - D
Physics - D :unimpressed:
German - B
Art and Design - B

(I know. I really need GYG to get me out of this mess.)

Chosen Degree:

Mechanical Engineering with Foundation Year

(with Year in Industry)

University Offers:

Southampton - ABB
Cardiff - AAB
Birmingham - ABB
Swansea - BCC

As you can see, a lot of work needs to be done to get the grades for university. I predict that most of my updates will be how I am trying to balance revision and social life...and probably some mental breakdowns recorded on the internet forever.

This blog is a real-life, flawed student's account of A-Levels, ugly bits included. Let's see if I can get through exams with the help of the GYG community.

PS. Would love to hear from other aspiring female engineers!
(edited 5 years ago)
Very interesting read. I'll be following along, Holly :smile:

Congrats on your offers and good luck for your A-levels, btw.
An interesting mix of subjects, especially for your AS.

I'm on a FY for Aerospace Engineering at Manchester and it's been great so far.
Foundation Year + Year In Industry makes a Bachelor's degree 5 years in total (6 if you want a Master's) which is kind of a scary thought.
I too am planning to do mechanical engineering

my mock result DDB

I need AAA

let's do this
Original post by JaredzzC
Very interesting read. I'll be following along, Holly :smile:

Congrats on your offers and good luck for your A-levels, btw.
An interesting mix of subjects, especially for your AS.

I'm on a FY for Aerospace Engineering at Manchester and it's been great so far.
Foundation Year + Year In Industry makes a Bachelor's degree 5 years in total (6 if you want a Master's) which is kind of a scary thought.

Thanks! Glad you liked it.
I do have a pretty strange selection of subjects. When I chose my AS subjects I wanted to be an automotive designer :cool: which explains the Art and Design.

Only good things to say about Manchester then? I still need to visit an open day and make my decision on it. I feel like I can never make an informed-enough decision! After all, it's possibly the next 6 years of my life - a scary thought indeed.:eek:
Original post by tesconyc
I too am planning to do mechanical engineering

my mock result DDB

I need AAA

let's do this

Engineers unite!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending