The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I go to KCLMS and I would say the best thing to do is do the specimen paper because our entrance exam was extremely similar to it. Also when you said about types of questions they are the same as the specimen paper. Basically just do the specimen.
Reply 61
HiI'll be sitting for KCLMS entrance exam in January 2019. Can you please suggest which books I should be referring and what kind of questions are normally asked in the test.Thank you in advance.
Original post by Vyner
HiI'll be sitting for KCLMS entrance exam in January 2019. Can you please suggest which books I should be referring and what kind of questions are normally asked in the test.Thank you in advance.

Why are you sitting it in January? I thought it was normally sat in December?
I would definitely do the specimen paper; as @smurg001 said above the specimen paper and actual paper are very similar. You could also do ukmt questions if you wanted but you don’t necessarily need to be good at answering them to get in:smile:
Hi did anyone sit the kclms paper today? How did you find it?
Reply 64
yeah, I sat it. thought it was okay. managed to do about 3/4 of the questions. you?
Original post by Annual Learner
Hi did anyone sit the kclms paper today? How did you find it?

Original post by unikw
yeah, I sat it. thought it was okay. managed to do about 3/4 of the questions. you?

I would advise you not to discuss answers. Not everyone has sat the entrance exam yet so you could be giving them an unfair advantage over you in the admissions process.
Best of luck with the application:smile:
Original post by Toastiekid
I would advise you not to discuss answers. Not everyone has sat the entrance exam yet so you could be giving them an unfair advantage over you in the admissions process.

Yes same I did about 3/4s as well. It was a difficult paper.
Reply 67

Good shout, didn't cross my mind! thanks for reminding me!
Original post by unikw
Good shout, didn't cross my mind! thanks for reminding me!

No problem:smile:, good luck- if you’ve got any questions then let me know:hugs:
Reply 69
No problem:smile:, good luck- if you’ve got any questions then let me know:hugs:

Am I to assume you're a current student? or someone who's done the application before? If so, my main question would be how well do you have to have done to be in the running for a place?
Original post by unikw
Am I to assume you're a current student? or someone who's done the application before? If so, my main question would be how well do you have to have done to be in the running for a place?

That's a very difficult question to answer as there is no way of really knowing how well you've done. Thy're not just looking for answers but also how you think/ tackle the problems. I thought I had done really badly on the exam but I'm now at King's. And we are current students. I thought I'd reply to you as I know @Toastiekid is desperately trying to finish their Econ homework so probably wont reply tonight. Good luck with your application x
Reply 71
Original post by smurg001
That's a very difficult question to answer as there is no way of really knowing how well you've done. Thy're not just looking for answers but also how you think/ tackle the problems. I thought I had done really badly on the exam but I'm now at King's. And we are current students. I thought I'd reply to you as I know @Toastiekid is desperately trying to finish their Econ homework so probably wont reply tonight. Good luck with your application x

Thanks for the encouragement! And @Toastiekid I hope you finish your homework before midnight!
Thankyou , for that answer. Gives a glimmer of hope.
Original post by unikw

i am (sorry for the late response, @smurg001 was correct in assuming i was doing my homework at the last minute again:colondollar:)
it's hard to say, when you sit the paper there is no indication of how many marks each question is worth and you don't at any point recieve a mark back from them- you just get an invitation to interviews or a rejection:frown: as far as i'm aware it's very focussed on the methods you use to solve the problem/how you approach them. i'd remember though that they're not just looking for people who can multiply things super speedily in their heads, they're looking for people who would potentially thrive in the school, people who have the potential to be great mathematicians (which is essentially why the interview stage exists). if you are a bit weird like me and read the admissions policy, in it they describe how there's a threshold mark type thing to get through to the interviews which they use to reduce the amount of applicants:smile:
i'm pretty sure most of us in our year thought we'd failed the entrance exam:lol:
best of luck:wink: (and i finished the homework at 10.15pm despite getting very distracted...)
I received an email for interview today.
Reply 75
also got an interview! woooh!
Congrats, I also got an interview
Original post by Annual Learner
I received an email for interview today.

Well done you guys!!!! Good luck with the interviews x

Original post by unikw
also got an interview! woooh!

Original post by SomeoneSjsjjs
Congrats, I also got an interview
Reply 78

Cheers, smurg! Hopefully it will go well!
Anyone know when should we expect results from them? I believe that they mentioned sometime in Feb but does anyone has more insight?

Latest