The Student Room Group

Accutane

Who else got it prescribed on there first Time going to the derm?

Also does it truly work

Finally can someone tell me there experience with accutane

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

Also does it truly work

I went on accutane from august 2018-dec 2018. I got it prescribed the first time at the dermatologist, but I had other medication prescribed by the GP prior to going on accutane.

It really does work! I had persistent mild-moderate acne. I would get horrible deep spots on my chin that would take over a month to go away on their own and acne on my back. Since coming off the medication my skin is completely clear so far! My dermatologist did say that in some cases a second course is needed if the changes aren't long-lasted but hopefully that won't be the case.

I started off on 35mg and after a month I had 70mg per day. When I first went on the tablets my skin and lips got really dry. During the first week my skin looked like it was getting better, but after a couple of weeks or so you get a load of spots breaking out. This is completely normal and is a sign that the treatment is working! I got another breakout about a week after upping my dose, but from then my skin only improved. The side effects I got were dry skin, dry lips, dry scalp (for the first month), weak skin (skin would easily break), dry eyes and I was a little tired and achy here and there. Not being able to drink was annoying-especially being a student! However I got used to it pretty quickly.

Do you have any questions! I'm more than happy to answer them!

Lucy
How long was your first course and is this with the nhs. Thank for your reply.

Also does it truly work

My daughter was prescribed roaccutane for severe acne after 2 years trying various, less potent, medications prescribed by the GP. The potential side effects sounded alarming, but she went ahead. For the first couple of months, there was no real improvement, and her lips peeled horribly. But after about 3 months, the spots started to dry and fade and fewer new spots appeared. It is now 5 years since she stopped taking it, and her skin has remained clear ever since. Without wanting to sound like a drugs salesman, it was practically a miracle treatment.
Nice iv been on Lymacycline once before if helped but didn't clear my skin completely and then my body got used to the medication then I broke out so bad that I wouldn't even leave the house so I hope accutane works
Original post by Callum price
Nice iv been on Lymacycline once before if helped but didn't clear my skin completely and then my body got used to the medication then I broke out so bad that I wouldn't even leave the house so I hope accutane works

Yes, acne can be utterly miserable. If your dermy recommends it for you, make sure you follow all the safety guidelines, but don't be put off if nothing seems to be happening in those first couple of months. Hope things work out well for you.
Original post by Callum price
How long was your first course and is this with the nhs. Thank for your reply.

My first (and only course so far) was 4months (aug-dec). I had mine through private healthcare but I'd had other acne medications prescribed through the nhs before. I think because accutane can be quite expensive for the nhs they're more likely to prescribe it for severe acne rather than persistent mild/moderate acne like mine was. That's why I went private instead so I knew I could get rid of it once and for all!

Lucy
I'm currently 2 months in, so hopefully I can help.

You get it from a dermatologist at your local hospital, instead of your GP. It's a very strong drug, so they have to monitor you closely. I had a blood test on the first appointment at the hospital, after which I was given the medication.

They start with a lower dose, then up it in the following months once they know your side effects aren't too bad. They continue to do blood tests every couple of months to make sure everything good.

I'm currently on 80mg a day, and have the classic dry lips, skin, some eczema on my hands, slightly achy back, and feeling a little tired. It's all been 100% manageable for me though, and my skin is already starting to clear up really nicely.

There are a few bad side effects that you can hear about, but those are very rare. (they say between 1 in 1000, to 1 in 10,000 get them). Considering the risk of dying in a car crash over your lifetime is 1 in 240, these are really not that bad. I would definitely say taking it is worth it.

There's a community for people taking it over on reddit (link is http://reddit.com/r/accutane), you should be able to find some tips for managing it on there if you decide to take it.
Definitely works, the potential side effects at higher doses are nasty though so be careful. There are potential mental health consequences which according to studies seems to affect males a lot more than females, so if you're a male then really keep an eye on how you're feeling.
Great advise from everyone cheers.
Hi I've just been presribed accutane, does yours come in a pink and white box?
Im starting off at 20mg and hopefully March my derm will bump it up to 60mg
I just wanna know what my diet should be like when on accutane. Does anyone know what foods I should avoid. Am I allowed to have a bar of chocolate once in a while?
From a medical point of view, you can eat anything you would eat normally. You will see some people claiming different foods do or don't cause acne, but I personally ignore that and eat whatever I want, as my acne has always been the same regardless of what I eat. The only thing to be wary of is alcohol. I was told its allowed, but not in excess. A couple times a month should be fine, but don't go out binge drinking every weekend, as I've heard that can do some real damage to your liver.

I started on 40mg, and was put on 80mg immediately on my first follow up appointment, which was a month after starting. I'll be staying on that until I finish my course. You are allowed to take less than what they perscribe if the side effects are bad, you then just have to take the medication for longer.

Stock up on moisturizer now, you're lips will be like sandpaper in a few months, so might as well be ready for it :smile: . I started experiencing some moderate joint pain after roughly one month, for which most people online suggest taking fish oil pills, which has made it much better for me. If you end up doing the same, make sure they are regular fish oil, not cod liver oil, as that contains extra vitamin A which isn't good when taking accutane.
Hi I've just been presribed accutane, does yours come in a pink and white box?
Im starting off at 20mg and hopefully March my derm will bump it up to 60mg
I just wanna know what my diet should be like when on accutane. Does anyone know what foods I should avoid. Am I allowed to have a bar of chocolate once in a while?

I was told to avoid alcohol and limit caffeine. It's really important not to drink because medication can damage your liver (which is one of the reasons why you need blood tests), drinking regularly on top of this would increase your chances of liver damage.

Food-wise I didn't restrict anything, but because the medication is derived from vitamin A I was told to be careful about foods high in vitamin A. I think these foods tend to be oily fish and stuff like that but I didn't bother restricting this and it turned out fine for me. Just eat as normal and it will be fine!

Lucy
Thank you for your responses, I just wanted to ask when your dosage was increased do you purge again? Also can you take pain medication, like paracetamol or ibuprofen when on accutane?
I just missed a dosage. I'm in my first week(I know unbelievable) . Will this effect my results
Thank you for your responses, I just wanted to ask when your dosage was increased do you purge again? Also can you take pain medication, like paracetamol or ibuprofen when on accutane?

I did have a breakout after having my dosage increased, but not as bad as the initial breakout after starting the course. I've been taking ibuprofen every now and then for joint pain, I don't think accutane interacts with it or paracetamol, but may be best to check with your doctor.

Original post by UnKoWn_AdventurE
I just missed a dosage. I'm in my first week(I know unbelievable) . Will this effect my results

Shouldn't make any difference. I've been told it stays in your system for several weeks after taking it. Just take the missed dose at the end of the course.
Does this mean take one in the morning and one at night. Or two at the same time
Does this mean take one in the morning and one at night. Or two at the same time

Sorry I forgot to attach the picture
Sorry I forgot to attach the picture

Hopefully it'll attach now
Attachment not found
Hello where did you go privately or do you advise me anywhere to go privately to get accutane?

Quick Reply

Latest