The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

What is this negativity about University of Portsmouth really about?

Hii, I am an international applicant, thinking about studying in Portsmouth. I have lots of doubts as I have heard many different opinions - some people definitely loved it, but there is a big number of people who truly hated it and asked me not to make the mistake they had made. What is it with all the negativity about the Uni? Why are people constantly publishing posts about it being a bad one? Care to share the details? (just honest, please)
Original post by angelstoflyyx
Hii, I am an international applicant, thinking about studying in Portsmouth. I have lots of doubts as I have heard many different opinions - some people definitely loved it, but there is a big number of people who truly hated it and asked me not to make the mistake they had made. What is it with all the negativity about the Uni? Why are people constantly publishing posts about it being a bad one? Care to share the details? (just honest, please)

See if they have a society for your nationality and then maybe you can speak to international students who you have seomthing in common with and they cna ive the lowdown. Same with course.

Uni isnt that prestigious and am no sure Plymouth is that exciting. Kust do your research and see if its worth the money and youd like 3 years there. Do look at old threads using the search feature as someone else may have answered the same question. I remember reading a detailed one but I cant recall of it was Portsmouth or Plymouth.

https://www.studentcrowd.com/university-l1005196-s1008386-university_of_portsmouth-portsmouth
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
I don't think one can trust sites like this, because on every site students reviews are different - for example, Portsmouth here isn't ranked low and people are rather satisfied and (as the other example) ARU is ranked very, very low. On the other hand, on unistats.com it is exactly the other way. What makes is not so prestigious? I can choose one of five unis which I got offerts from, including Portmouth, ARU, Canterbury, De Montfordt and Bedfordshire. Have I chosen bad unis?
I don't think one can trust sites like this, because on every site students reviews are different - for example, Portsmouth here isn't ranked low and people are rather satisfied and (as the other example) ARU is ranked very, very low. On the other hand, on unistats.com it is exactly the other way. What makes is not so prestigious? I can choose one of five unis which I got offerts from, including Portmouth, ARU, Canterbury, De Montfordt and Bedfordshire. Have I chosen bad unis?

They aren’t considered good unis. They aren’t the lowest but they’re mostly average or slightly below average.
Original post by Professional G
They aren’t considered good unis. They aren’t the lowest but they’re mostly average or slightly below average.

Personally I don't think ranking is that important since I wanted to focus more on the atmosphere and satisfaction.
I have choosen the higher ones I found (because I have no idea which unis are good or bad, still new to the topic) which accept my English finals on a high % level, the other ones wanted a certificate and I don't have conditions to do one. Should I try applying again through clearing? Or just accept the best uni? And which one of this would it be?
Personally I don't think ranking is that important since I wanted to focus more on the atmosphere and satisfaction.
I have choosen the higher ones I found (because I have no idea which unis are good or bad, still new to the topic) which accept my English finals on a high % level, the other ones wanted a certificate and I don't have conditions to do one. Should I try applying again through clearing? Or just accept the best uni? And which one of this would it be?

It depends on what you applied for and what you want to do after you graduate.
The good ones are usually the ones named after a city e.g. Edinburgh . I think it depends. Maybe have a look around at other unis maybe use league tables to find good ones (avoid Guardian League Table) it’s tough to say which one is better, it depends on what degree you’re looking at
Original post by Professional G
It depends on what you applied for and what you want to do after you graduate.
The good ones are usually the ones named after a city e.g. Edinburgh . I think it depends. Maybe have a look around at other unis maybe use league tables to find good ones (avoid Guardian League Table) it’s tough to say which one is better, it depends on what degree you’re looking at

I have applied to Film Production & other similar, wanting to be a director in either film or produce music videos, can also be a script writer or editor, dosn't really matter to me as I would find myself in every of this roles

Hi @angelstoflyyx

Thanks for getting in touch.

I completely understand your concern, its so important to pick the right univiersity and one that you are going to feel most comfortable at.

I was a student at Portsmouth myself, and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience - so much so I was lucky enough to get a full time job here after graduating and move to Portsmouth permenantly.

University is a very personal experience and whilst others might find Portsmouth not right for them, you might absoloutely love it.

If you are more interested in the social side and atmosphere at the university I would recommend looking into the National Student Survey results. This survey is soley for student experience in terms of teaching, support and the social aspect of the Univeristy. We, as a University have been scoring above average in the NSS consistently since 2006 and are one of the top 20 UK Universities for student satisfaction.

We also recently recieved the TEF gold award which is the teaching excellence framework, this is calculated from a number of factors but one of the main ones is student retention on courses meaning that when most people join the university they like it enough to stay for the full 3 years until graduation.

As mentioned above by @999tigger there may be a society for your nationality, these are run by our current students and I could give you their email to contact them and see what they think about the University - they will give their honest opinion as they are students here and that is the only way they are affiliated to the University. For example we have a large society for our Bulgarian students! You can find all of our societies here https://www.upsu.net/societies

I really hope this helps - again University is such a personal experience and what doesn't work for one person might work perfectly for another.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Alex - UoP Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending