The Student Room Group

Unsure on how to progress with my MA application.

Hiya,
I'm applying to the University of Portsmouth currently for an MA course. I've done a lot of research into the course, am really interested in it and having been a student at UoP before, know the uni and the lecturers quite well.
I needed to get 2 references, one is my head of course and the other is my supervisor.

My course leader responded the next day more than happy to give a reference. I got a response from my supervisor and, whilst they're happy to give a reference, they're strongly advising against doing it. I want to stress that I do genuinely really appreciate them raising these concerns with me and its something I'm going to discuss further with them, but I'm now not too sure how I proceed. I know my course leader's reference will be positive, the module I did with them went really well and those I've had with them have gone really well. A lot of health issues and other circumstances arose with the module my current supervisor is on, and so it hasn't gone quite as positively. They've been very understanding and my course leader is also aware of these issues, but I'm worried if I submit my supervisor's details, that it will mean a negative reference? If anyone has had any sort of similar experience or can advise, I would hugely appreciate it 😊 Thanks for reading :smile:
Original post by lumikuva
Hiya,
I'm applying to the University of Portsmouth currently for an MA course. I've done a lot of research into the course, am really interested in it and having been a student at UoP before, know the uni and the lecturers quite well.
I needed to get 2 references, one is my head of course and the other is my supervisor.

My course leader responded the next day more than happy to give a reference. I got a response from my supervisor and, whilst they're happy to give a reference, they're strongly advising against doing it. I want to stress that I do genuinely really appreciate them raising these concerns with me and its something I'm going to discuss further with them, but I'm now not too sure how I proceed. I know my course leader's reference will be positive, the module I did with them went really well and those I've had with them have gone really well. A lot of health issues and other circumstances arose with the module my current supervisor is on, and so it hasn't gone quite as positively. They've been very understanding and my course leader is also aware of these issues, but I'm worried if I submit my supervisor's details, that it will mean a negative reference? If anyone has had any sort of similar experience or can advise, I would hugely appreciate it 😊 Thanks for reading :smile:

Hi @lumikuva ,

I can understand where your concern is coming from as I know you do not want a negative reference.

Does the application specifically ask for two academic references? or are you able to provide one which is non academic and ask someone you have worked with outside of university to write one?

If not, I would recommend trying to see if there is anyone else you are able to get a reference from. Again, if this is not an option then I would try to arrange a meeting with them to see what your options are with them.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @lumikuva ,

I can understand where your concern is coming from as I know you do not want a negative reference.

Does the application specifically ask for two academic references? or are you able to provide one which is non academic and ask someone you have worked with outside of university to write one?

If not, I would recommend trying to see if there is anyone else you are able to get a reference from. Again, if this is not an option then I would try to arrange a meeting with them to see what your options are with them.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi Alia,
Huge apologies for my late reply, and thank you for the response! I really appreciate it :smile:
It asks for two academic references yes, I've been assigned a separate tutor for a module that relates to higher education, so will discuss with them whether it's possible to get a reference from both, and apply with those references instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending