Should the school day start at 10am?

This poll is closed

Should school start at 10am?

Yes 36%
No 58%
Not Sure6%
Total votes: 85
Hi Everyone,

A recent debate has taken place to start school at 10am to help student productivity.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Let us know your thoughts and if you have questions about school, college, sixth form and beyond we are here to help.

Scroll to see replies

I actually beg, I just had double biology and I actually like wanted to fall asleep. I know it's important to know how to work early, especially because I want to be a doctor so I'm going to have to do weird shifts, but it's just really annoying. Maybe 10's a bit too late because then it'll finish at like 5 but I think 9/9:30 is reasonable.
Reply 2
yes, because i hate getting up really early, i am not a morning person, so therefore i would get longer to sleep in
Original post by HowToBeABlobfish
I actually beg, I just had double biology and I actually like wanted to fall asleep. I know it's important to know how to work early, especially because I want to be a doctor so I'm going to have to do weird shifts, but it's just really annoying. Maybe 10's a bit too late because then it'll finish at like 5 but I think 9/9:30 is reasonable.

Thanks for getting involved and please do cast your vote!

Many have argued that your sleep pattern and the amount of sleep you need changes as you get older meaning you will adapt more easily to shift patterns and early starts. It's an interesting topic of discussion, focused on supporting students productivity more than anything.
Original post by KimNoel
yes, because i hate getting up really early, i am not a morning person, so therefore i would get longer to sleep in

Thanks for getting involved @KimNoel
Original post by National Careers Service
Thanks for getting involved and please do cast your vote!

Many have argued that your sleep pattern and the amount of sleep you need changes as you get older meaning you will adapt more easily to shift patterns and early starts. It's an interesting topic of discussion, focused on supporting students productivity more than anything.

Oopsie didn't see there was a vote, just voted now :smile:
Exactly, so it is useful to wake up early to get used to adult life, it just might be a bit too much to ask for a year 2 to have to wake up that early. I'm in year 12 so I'm fine-er with it but I really think it should be changed for people in primary school.
Original post by HowToBeABlobfish
Oopsie didn't see there was a vote, just voted now :smile:
Exactly, so it is useful to wake up early to get used to adult life, it just might be a bit too much to ask for a year 2 to have to wake up that early. I'm in year 12 so I'm fine-er with it but I really think it should be changed for people in primary school.

That's interesting, The debate was aimed at secondary and further education students and received a lot of support but could there be negatives to changing it?
Reply 7
Thanks for getting involved @KimNoel

thats ok i just thik that because we start so early we won't gather as much information as we could do further on in the day, therefore starting the day at ten would mean we have ti e to wake up and get ready for the day and then the day could end at 4 if we did this
I hated waking up at 7 in the morning for school... it absolutely killed me lol. However once I was up it was fine. As much as I would have liked this 10am thing back in the day I disagree with it now. Being able to wake up early is an important life skill... we’re making things too easy for the new generation and setting them up to fail. What happens when their future employers require them to wake up early? Is another law going to be tallied on which requires no early morning starts? Waking up early has so much health benefits too
Reply 9
Original post by sammyj97
I hated waking up at 7 in the morning for school... it absolutely killed me lol. However once I was up it was fine. As much as I would have liked this 10am thing back in the day I disagree with it now. Being able to wake up early is an important life skill... we’re making things too easy for the new generation and setting them up to fail. What happens when their future employers require them to wake up early? Is another law going to be tallied on which requires no early morning starts? Waking up early has so much health benefits too

yeah when i wake up at 5:45 in the morning i would have to have a coffee to wake me up, but foing that everday it just gets very tiring
No, I'd rather it started earlier at around 7am. It would motivate me to get up earlier and not sleep in.

Now that I'm at uni, on days when class starts later and I don't have any courswork, I can sleep in until 8:30/9am which I don't like.

Also, if school started at 7, it would finish around 1pm, and we could go home for lunch.
Original post by sammyj97

Thanks for getting involved @sammyj97 it's good to hear from the disagree side too.

Preparing students for work is very important, the world of work however is rapidly changing and no longer looks like the typical 9am-5pm.

Some studies have taken place which have shown that adolecents may need more sleep but then require less sleep as they go into adulthood. We think it's really important to know how students feel about this debate and really appreciate your thoughts!
Reply 12
I think 10am would be too late.

Having been through school and currently being at university I can tell you that once you start getting out of the habit of getting up early, it's very tricky to get back into it. It may seem like a good idea to start later but I think it's better to normalise early starts so that when you inevitably have to be up early for university/jobs then you're ready.

I used to think the same back in school but looking at it from the outside it seems much better to start early and finish early, leaving the rest of the day a bit more free. With regards to productivity, I've always found that it significantly dips as you get into the afternoon/evening so making the school day later wouldn't even necessarily help that!
Original post by I'm God
No, I'd rather it started earlier at around 7am. It would motivate me to get up earlier and not sleep in.

Now that I'm at uni, on days when class starts later and I don't have any courswork, I can sleep in until 8:30/9am which I don't like.

Also, if school started at 7, it would finish around 1pm, and we could go home for lunch.

Original post by Ellios
I think 10am would be too late.

Having been through school and currently being at university I can tell you that once you start getting out of the habit of getting up early, it's very tricky to get back into it. It may seem like a good idea to start later but I think it's better to normalise early starts so that when you inevitably have to be up early for university/jobs then you're ready.

I used to think the same back in school but looking at it from the outside it seems much better to start early and finish early, leaving the rest of the day a bit more free. With regards to productivity, I've always found that it significantly dips as you get into the afternoon/evening so making the school day later wouldn't even necessarily help that!

Interesting points well made here!
That's interesting, The debate was aimed at secondary and further education students and received a lot of support but could there be negatives to changing it?

Yeah exactly. In my opinion early starts, however annoying, are good and beneficial for secondary school and sixth form, but I think it's too much to ask for a primary school kid to wake up at 7
Hi Everyone,

A recent debate has taken place to start school at 10am to help student productivity.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Let us know your thoughts and if you have questions about school, college, sixth form and beyond we are here to help.

Yes, it is a good idea. There's been loads of studies that suggest teens need more sleep for brain development and that it's almost useless going to school early because they're too sleep deprived to focus! Why not shift everything an hour forward and potentially improve people's performance and quality of sleep/life?!
Reply 16

i think there could be negatives because then the teachers would have to start later and then they would have to stay later which would mean they would have no time for themselves
Original post by KimNoel
i think there could be negatives because then the teachers would have to start later and then they would have to stay later which would mean they would have no time for themselves

Always good to look at things from all perspectives.

It would have quite a big impact on a few things like teachers, childcare, logisitics, bus timetables etc.
Yeah, I always felt 7.30 was too early to get up, whereas 9 would have be fine - I always woke up naturally at around that time anyway.
Reply 19
Always good to look at things from all perspectives.

It would have quite a big impact on a few things like teachers, childcare, logisitics, bus timetables etc.

yeah your right i have to get the bus at 6:50 because otherwise i wouldn't get to school on time we start at 8:30 the next bus i would get a 7:25 i would then get the traffic and be late for school so starting later would stop this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending