The Student Room Group

What to pick for 5th UCAS option?

I’m currently in year 12 and I am looking to do medicine. I know that you can only use 4 spaces for medical schools and I have been thinking about what I should do with my 5th.
I know most people pick something like Biomedical science or Biochemistry in case they don’t get into med school so they can enter as a graduate into medicine, however I have decided that if I don’t get into medicine the first time around I don’t want to do it at all because of how much longer it takes.
Because of this I don’t see the point in me picking something like this, instead I was thinking of choosing Veterinary Medicine or surgery as my 5th since this is something I am also quite interested in and if I was rejected from medicine this is a career that I would also enjoy.

Am I actually able to do this or is this being really out there? Thanks for any help 😊

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Icykitten
I’m currently in year 12 and I am looking to do medicine. I know that you can only use 4 spaces for medical schools and I have been thinking about what I should do with my 5th.
I know most people pick something like Biomedical science or Biochemistry in case they don’t get into med school so they can enter as a graduate into medicine, however I have decided that if I don’t get into medicine the first time around I don’t want to do it at all because of how much longer it takes.
Because of this I don’t see the point in me picking something like this, instead I was thinking of choosing Veterinary Medicine or surgery as my 5th since this is something I am also quite interested in and if I was rejected from medicine this is a career that I would also enjoy.

Am I actually able to do this or is this being really out there? Thanks for any help 😊

You don't have to put down a fifth choice.

You should seek advice from those knowledgeable about Veterinary applications whether someone applying with a Medicine focused statement would have any chance at all. I suspect not, but could be wrong.

I can tell you now, you will not get in for vet med. It is more competitive than medicine and without the relevant work experience you basically have no chance
Also where can you study surgery? And how would that benefit you as you can't become a surgeon without studying medicine.

I would think again what you want to do as a 5th choice or take a gap year and reapply for medicine (if you don't get in)
Reply 3
Original post by AzureCeleste
I can tell you now, you will not get in for vet med. It is more competitive than medicine and without the relevant work experience you basically have no chance
Also where can you study surgery? And how would that benefit you as you can't become a surgeon without studying medicine.

I would think again what you want to do as a 5th choice or take a gap year and reapply for medicine (if you don't get in)

Well, what if I get relevant work experience?
Also I meant veterinary surgery not ordinary surgery, sorry if that wasn’t clear
Well, what if I get relevant work experience?
Also I meant veterinary surgery not ordinary surgery, sorry if that wasn’t clear

Again, wouldn't you need to qualify as a vet for that? (I'm not an expert on that though)

You wouldn't be able to tailor your PS to both medicine and vet med without sounding uncommitted. You could ask if you could send the uni a second PS but it wouldn't be guaranteed. Additionally with only one application your chances of getting in are so so slim in another incredibly competitive degree
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
You don't have to put down a fifth choice.

You should seek advice from those knowledgeable about Veterinary applications whether someone applying with a Medicine focused statement would have any chance at all. I suspect not, but could be wrong.

I would prefer to put down a fifth choice because I know how competitive medicine is and I want something to fall back on.
Is there anyone on TSR who might know if I would have a chance?
Reply 6
Again, wouldn't you need to qualify as a vet for that? (I'm not an expert on that though)

You wouldn't be able to tailor your PS to both medicine and vet med without sounding uncommitted. You could ask if you could send the uni a second PS but it wouldn't be guaranteed. Additionally with only one application your chances of getting in are so so slim in another incredibly competitive degree

True, I’m just not sure what to put as my fifth option because I know I don’t want to do medicine if I don’t get in first time because it’s an extra 3-4 years by graduate entry
True, I’m just not sure what to put as my fifth option because I know I don’t want to do medicine if I don’t get in first time because it’s an extra 3-4 years by graduate entry

Most people take a gap year and re-apply.
Reply 8
Most people take a gap year and re-apply.

Yeah but if I don’t get the A level grades I still won’t be able to get in
I would prefer to put down a fifth choice because I know how competitive medicine is and I want something to fall back on.
Is there anyone on TSR who might know if I would have a chance?

Then take a gap year and reapply as many do every year. Tbh if you have the attitude of "if I don't get in first time I'm giving up" then you're probably not cut out for medicine.
Reply 10

The harsh reality is many (actually most) Medicine applicants don't get a place first time around. :frown:

It's VERY common to simply take a gap year to reapply.
Yeah but if I don’t get the A level grades I still won’t be able to get in

So then you would need to consider a different career path- vet med you need straight A's as well so that wouldn't be an option?
I'd cross that barrier when you get to it. At the moment focus on getting the grades you do need
Reply 12
Then take a gap year and reapply as many do every year. Tbh if you have the attitude of "if I don't get in first time I'm giving up" then you're probably not cut out for medicine.

Only because it’s a long enough course as it is, particularly for the field I want to go into and It would really set me back if I had to wait an extra 4 years.

The medic portal says you can put down an unrelated course as your fifth anyway:
https://www.themedicportal.com/medicine-applications-make-5th-ucas-choice/
Reply 13
So then you would need to consider a different career path- vet med you need straight A's as well so that wouldn't be an option?
I'd cross that barrier when you get to it. At the moment focus on getting the grades you do need

A friend of mine wants to do vet med and she only needs to get 3 Cs. (Not sure why)
Reply 14
Original post by Doonesbury
The harsh reality is many (actually most) Medicine applicants don't get a place first time around. :frown:

It's VERY common to simply take a gap year to reapply.

I don’t really want to take a gap year though, I just want to go straight into university doing something
Reply 15
I just want to go straight into university doing something

Why?

Do you actually *want* to be a doctor?
Only because it’s a long enough course as it is, particularly for the field I want to go into and It would really set me back if I had to wait an extra 4 years.

The medic portal says you can put down an unrelated course as your fifth anyway:
https://www.themedicportal.com/medicine-applications-make-5th-ucas-choice/

Reapplying successfully during a gap year would mean only one year's difference, not four.
Reply 17
Reapplying successfully during a gap year would mean only one year's difference, not four.

Yes but I can’t reapply if I don’t get the grades
Reply 18
Original post by Doonesbury
Why?

Do you actually *want* to be a doctor?

I want to go into university straight away because I enjoy education and having a year out would make me loose focus.
And yes I would love to be a doctor, I just know how long the course is on it’s own let alone add a couple of years. If I get in first time around by the time I qualify in the profession I’m interested in I’ll be 28 so I’d rather not add any years onto that if I can avoid it.
Reply 19
I want to go into university straight away because I enjoy education and having a year out would make me loose focus.
And yes I would love to be a doctor, I just know how long the course is on it’s own let alone add a couple of years. If I get in first time around by the time I qualify in the profession I’m interested in I’ll be 28 so I’d rather not add any years onto that if I can avoid it.

You can do MOOCs during your gap year, or Open University courses.

I advise you to see how your medicine applications go, and subsequently what grades you get for your A-levels. If you get no medicine offers but good grades then a gap year and reapplication is perfectly sensible (it wouldn't faze a dedicated aspiring doctor...). If your grades aren't "good enough" for medicine there will be LOTS of options available in Clearing.

But actually this is all a bt too early to be worrying about. See how your Y12 PPE / AS-levels go and if you actually enjoy your medicine-related work experiences. Then you can revisit the options before making your medicine choices in October.

PS. I've moved this to the Medicine forum :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending