The Student Room Group

What uni course can be done with public services?

Hi all.
My brother is currently doing BTEC L3 Extended Diploma in Uniformed Public Services and thinkin g about dropping it as he “can’t get in to university”.
I’m sure he can study something with this qualification at uni?
What would you all recommend?
Thanks all
Original post by MrXtra
Hi all.
My brother is currently doing BTEC L3 Extended Diploma in Uniformed Public Services and thinkin g about dropping it as he “can’t get in to university”.
I’m sure he can study something with this qualification at uni?
What would you all recommend?
Thanks all

There are courses where they don't ask for specific subjects so they would be open to him, does he have any career path in mind at all?
Original post by claireestelle
There are courses where they don't ask for specific subjects so they would be open to him, does he have any career path in mind at all?

Was literally just about to move this :lol:
Original post by CoolCavy
Was literally just about to move this :lol:

happy to use my universal powers to help :smile: :tongue:
Original post by claireestelle
happy to use my universal powers to help :smile: :tongue:

Such power :adore:

thanks claire :hugs:
Original post by CoolCavy
Such power :adore:

thanks claire :hugs:

no problemo :smile:
Reply 6
Haha. My brother doesn’t even know. Original plans was to join the police, no degree needed.
However, he wants to pursue a degree. He acknowledges he won’t get into Oxbridge or Russell Group- he’s looking at mid tier such as Leeds Beckett or York St John. He just needs an idea on what can be studied. I said maybe law?
Reply 7
Also, he only has GCSE English and Maths.
These are at a 4. These 2 GCSEs are the only requirements to study Public Services at Leeds City college.
Original post by MrXtra
Haha. My brother doesn’t even know. Original plans was to join the police, no degree needed.
However, he wants to pursue a degree. He acknowledges he won’t get into Oxbridge or Russell Group- he’s looking at mid tier such as Leeds Beckett or York St John. He just needs an idea on what can be studied. I said maybe law?

york st john requires 3 gcses but leeds beckett would be okay for law with 2 gcses, many universities can ask for five gcses . Maybe a policing studies degree could be a good option for him?
Reply 9
Ah yes. Thank you. What are other degrees could he do with his current qualifications?

The only ones I can think of is:
Law
Sociology/ Social Work
Psychology/ Criminology / Criminal Psychology
Social Policy
Maybe health such as Nursing (((THIS WOULDNT INTEREST HIM)- but need science GCSEs

Any more you think?
Original post by MrXtra
Ah yes. Thank you. What are other degrees could he do with his current qualifications?

The only ones I can think of is:
Law
Sociology/ Social Work
Psychology/ Criminology / Criminal Psychology
Social Policy
Maybe health such as Nursing (((THIS WOULDNT INTEREST HIM)- but need science GCSEs

Any more you think?

i think you've got all the related degrees covered
Original post by MrXtra

He can get into RG it depends on his grades.

He will have to go down a list of subjects and see if it interests him, then look at the entrance requirements. You are mostly looking at those which have no specific entry requirements. law is one.

Science based ones are out.
Maths based ones are out.

So you might be looking at whats left, business, management, social sciences,philosophy, psychology etc

He just has to check against the criteria.

The other way if he is keen on a course is that you can often do a degree with a foundation year if you dont have the correct subjects and that lets you on the main degree.

I suggest he picks a uni and just goes through the courses. he will soon narrow it down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending