The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance to get into Oxbridge

Hi everybody!I would be starting university at 17. And I was told most universities need a set percentage of applicants that are underage. Also, my predicted grades are:h:istory: AArt: A*Biology: BGerman: A* (but I'm half German so I'm not sure if the grade will be accepted, as it is theoratically my first language)And I am also doing an EPQ, were I hope to achieve an A or an A*. I am also doing many extra curricular activities, including volunteering, work experience, internships and take part in the Model United Nations, were I won an award and different speech competitions. I however, have not done GCSE's but have done an equivalent to it. So, what do you guys think?Thanks very much again!!PS: Sorry for any grammar mistakes, I am as mentioned half German.
Original post by lily_rezepa
Hi everybody!I would be starting university at 17. And I was told most universities need a set percentage of applicants that are underage. Also, my predicted grades are:h:istory: AArt: A*Biology: BGerman: A* (but I'm half German so I'm not sure if the grade will be accepted, as it is theoratically my first language)And I am also doing an EPQ, were I hope to achieve an A or an A*. I am also doing many extra curricular activities, including volunteering, work experience, internships and take part in the Model United Nations, were I won an award and different speech competitions. I however, have not done GCSE's but have done an equivalent to it. So, what do you guys think?Thanks very much again!!PS: Sorry for any grammar mistakes, I am as mentioned half German.

Never underestimate yourself. You always have a chance. I would advise you to do your A levels, take a gap year to earn and apply. You will have a less stressful application. And a high chance of getting in
I have never heard of universities having a quota of underage students. While Oxford and Cambridge do occasionally admit such students (although not for all courses - normally it's not possible for medicine, for example, although you don't meet the entry criteria for that subject at either university anyway), this is not a "benefit" in your application to be applying earlier specifically. You would be assessed in the same way as any other school leaver (with due consideration for any adjustments that might need to be made for your situation as you would be underage with respect to accommodation etc potentially; some colleges have more of a history of taking younger students, like Peterhouse or Fitzwilliam College at Cambridge).

If German is your mother tongue, as in you were raised speaking German, it's unlikely it would form part of an offer and they would be looking at your performance in three other A-level subjects, unless you were applying to a language based subject (or perhaps even more specifically a course including German). You may well require an A in Biology as such, since they might discount the German grade entirely and A*A*B may well not be accepted (you might be able to apply with those predictions, although they would probably set an offer at AAA or above, including Biology unless they decide to allow the German grade).

However it will also vary hugely depending what course you're applying to. For example, for basically any STEM subject you wouldn't meet their criteria at all, or in one or two places would minimally meet the requirements but be a weak applicant due to only having one STEM subject. PPE/Economics would also not be realistic due to the lack of A-level Maths. Extracurricular activities that are not directly related to the subject you're applying to are generally unimportant and they don't really care much about them. I don't think EPQs normally form part of an offer, but if it's relevant to the subject being applied to it would probably be a good thing to discuss in your PS and might be discussed in interview, depending on the subject.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi everybody!I would be starting university at 17. And I was told most universities need a set percentage of applicants that are underage.

No they don't. And you will be expected to have the same strength of academics as anyone else.

Which course are you interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
International relations
Original post by Doones
No they don't. And you will be expected to have the same strength of academics as anyone else.

Which course are you interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
International relations

Ok, and which universities are you considering applying to? As @artful_lounger mentioned some may disregard German if it's your mother tongue, but it varies by university. And their attitude to underage students may vary too.

Also are your subjects (and predictions)... History of Art: A* Biology: B German: A* ?
Reply 6
My predicted grades are: German: A* History: A Art: A* Biology B and as I have an english passport all universities accept my German A-level. And also, I have asked universities at a UCAS fair and all said for entry requirements they count the top three grades, so in my case German,History and Art. I am thinking about Oxford, King's College London, UCL and LSE for this particular course. But, I have also sent out another question regarding this more specifically, as all the universities just listed have very high entry requirements and I am looking for back-up universities with a bit lower entry requirements. So, if you have any suggestions for that, that would be very helpful too.
Original post by Doones
Ok, and which universities are you considering applying to? As @artful_lounger mentioned some may disregard German if it's your mother tongue, but it varies by university. And their attitude to underage students may vary too.

Also are your subjects (and predictions)... History of Art: A* Biology: B German: A* ?
Reply 7
My predicted grades are: German: A* History: A Art: A* Biology B and as I have an english passport all universities accept my German A-level. And also, I have asked universities at a UCAS fair and all said for entry requirements they count the top three grades, so in my case German,History and Art. I am thinking about Oxford, King's College London, UCL and LSE for this particular course. But, I have also sent out another question regarding this more specifically, as all the universities just listed have very high entry requirements and I am looking for back-up universities with a bit lower entry requirements. So, if you have any suggestions for that, that would be very helpful too.

Have you asked those specific universities though? In writing...
e.g. LSE says "A level in a first/native language may not be counted"

Oxford doesn't have an IR undergrad course.
Reply 8
Original post by Doones
Have you asked those specific universities though? In writing...
e.g. LSE says "A level in a first/native language may not be counted"

Oxford doesn't have an IR undergrad course.

Well I am from british nationality and would be applying with my English passport. And oxford has an IR graduate course.
Reply 9
And oxford has an IR graduate course.

But not undergraduate...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending