The Student Room Group

DSA Computer Allowance

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has had a recommendation from DSA assessor that you need a laptop and if so, could/did you get a desktop instead? I only had my assessment in monday (04/03/19) and I am looking into my current options available.
Original post by nathan_martin
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has had a recommendation from DSA assessor that you need a laptop and if so, could/did you get a desktop instead? I only had my assessment in monday (04/03/19) and I am looking into my current options available.

You could pay the supplier they use to upgrade to a desktop, bare in mind that you need to come up with a notetaking option for lectures if you don't have a laptop and if you're in halls desktops can take up a fair bit of desk space.
Thanks for replying, my elaboration upon this is for example, if i can get and is within the budget a say, £649 laptop but could get a better desktop for the same amount or less, would they have an issue with it? I have a smartphone and a tablet so note taking in lectures isnt an issue.
Original post by claireestelle
You could pay the supplier they use to upgrade to a desktop, bare in mind that you need to come up with a notetaking option for lectures if you don't have a laptop and if you're in halls desktops can take up a fair bit of desk space.
Thanks for replying, my elaboration upon this is for example, if i can get and is within the budget a say, £649 laptop but could get a better desktop for the same amount or less, would they have an issue with it? I have a smartphone and a tablet so note taking in lectures isnt an issue.

I imagine they wouldn't take issue with it

Just to note, you'll have a MUCH smaller budget than this I would imagine. Mine was £300
Was that £300+ the £200 cont you have to give or £300 total with cont
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Just to note, you'll have a MUCH smaller budget than this I would imagine. Mine was £300
Was that £300+ the £200 cont you have to give or £300 total with cont

That was £300 including my contribution, so they put £100 towards it. I did end up paying an extra £50 to upgrade for an extra 4gb of RAM, so it was £350 in total but they contributed £100
Why did they only give you 100 towards it? Ive looked at the minimum specs that DSA pc's pc's s have to run their software and the minimum is 3.0GHz processor 4GB RAM. Its impossible to get that spec for less than £600 let alone £350
Original post by chelseadagg3r
That was £300 including my contribution, so they put £100 towards it. I did end up paying an extra £50 to upgrade for an extra 4gb of RAM, so it was £350 in total but they contributed £100
Why did they only give you 100 towards it? Ive looked at the minimum specs that DSA pc's pc's s have to run their software and the minimum is 3.0GHz processor 4GB RAM. Its impossible to get that spec for less than £600 let alone £350

Because the laptop that my supplier offered, with those specs, totalled £300 and I had to make the £200 contribution.
Ah, thats why then, you got it supplied by a dsa supplier, they have already said to me that i can get mine from the open market the only thing i get from dsa suppliers is the software.
Ah, thats why then, you got it supplied by a dsa supplier, they have already said to me that i can get mine from the open market the only thing i get from dsa suppliers is the software.

Yes, but they won't contribute more than it would cost them if you went through the supplier, so you still won't get an extra £300+
I suppose its whats available at the time, I dont mind putting extra to it but equally I dont want them going "heres a tenner, go mad"
I suppose its whats available at the time, I dont mind putting extra to it but equally I dont want them going "heres a tenner, go mad"

I've genuinely never known anyone to get the kind of money I think you're expecting. They really do expect you to get a bottom range laptop. I wouldn't go in expecting any more than about £100 - anything more than that would be a bonus really. Just don't set your sights on a nearly £700 computer if you aren't prepared to pay about £600 for it
im prepared to pay 1k plus i was just wondering what they generally give
im not the average uni student, im doing computing and it with network security so very hardware dependant, so not only am i basing the pc off of dsa recommendations, but from the requirement of my course
im not the average uni student, im doing computing and it with network security so very hardware dependant, so not only am i basing the pc off of dsa recommendations, but from the requirement of my course

I'm applying for dsa this year and doing comp science. What budget did they give you in the end?
The laptop that is recommended by your DSA assessor isn't recommended according to the course you're taking. It is the minimum spec needed to run any software that is recommended for you to help overcome your disability related difficulties.

If that laptop recommended is, say for example, £399, you will pay the £200 student contribution and Student Finance DSA will pay £199. You can upgrade, with Student Finance DSA's permission, but you must make sure whatever you choose will support the software and any other things that your recommendation was for, eg note taking and it must be fully insured for the duration of your course. If you see a desktop for £599, Student Finance DSA will still only pay £199 as they would have with the recommended laptop. You will pay the remaining £400 (the minimum £200 student contribution plus the remaining £200 because it was your choice to upgrade.

Hope that make things a bit clearer.
I’ve received DSA this year and they are paying £950 towards the supplier and I just have to put the 200 towards it! Hope this helps
Original post by Hannah9878
I’ve received DSA this year and they are paying £950 towards the supplier and I just have to put the 200 towards it! Hope this helps

That's awesome! Glad theyve sorted you out. Can I ask why they gave so much, from what I've read it varies so much but maybe it's different this year working from home etc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending