The Student Room Group

Subject and board help

Greetings!

Well I was in Pearson Edexcel IGCSE O level and have given my O level exam in my country Dhaka, Bangladesh. Of 7 subjects (in 2 sitting) and I got bad grades on them:
English: E
Bengali: B
Maths B: B
Pure Maths: D
Physics: B
Chemistry: E
ICT: D

Some grades where to achieve but was 1 mark less to achieve the next grade.

So now my chemistry teacher suggests me to give Chemistry again so it will be 3 sitting total.

Now I have asked some teacher and told that my overall grade is these; so they suggested me to give IGCSE O level again, freshly as a new student in 1 sitting.

So I have researched and found out CAIE Board (Cambridge) interesting and fascinating to me so I think that I want to give my IGCSE again with CAIE not Edexcel!

So I want good and in detail suggestion from you all, please help me I am very upset and in a great pain which oneself can understand it as its thyself future depends on it.

Scroll to see replies

I forgot to mention that for; ICT - when I saw my scripts there was several questions unmarked and the ones which was right but wasn't marked full, don't know why this..
For Chemistry; I study only 3 months before exam and didn't do any lab class as well, so that's might be the cause of bad grade.
Physics, did several silly mistakes like didn't give unit sign in one question and others errors.
English; did a lot of cutting and untidy.
Pure Maths; never was good in this...

I am looking forward for help and support,
When did you get your results? If it was last week then the ones where you were a mark or two away from the next grade may be worth sending back for a remark? (especially IT!)
If you're thinking of going to uni in the UK in the future then sitting them again means you'll have to declare all the results, including these ones so you need to consider if they are really going to hold you back from what you want to do in the future or if it would be better to move on.
Original post by Lemur14
When did you get your results? If it was last week then the ones where you were a mark or two away from the next grade may be worth sending back for a remark? (especially IT!)
If you're thinking of going to uni in the UK in the future then sitting them again means you'll have to declare all the results, including these ones so you need to consider if they are really going to hold you back from what you want to do in the future or if it would be better to move on.

Hey! Thanks a lot for your response,
Well; I have Physics, ICT, English Language B on May 2018.
and gave Chemistry, Maths B, Pure Maths and Bengali this Jan 2019.
I doubt about chemistry and about their checking, I don't know exactly what happened.

Yeah I would like to go to UK or some good countries mainly to a good university, but with these IGCSE (O level) results is it worth apply for them? I know my most friends tell me that for normal universities around they world and mostly they don't give a damn on your IGCSE ( O level result). They only look into your final A level result.

So really confused on whether I will give all those 7 subjects again freshly or what exactly...
(edited 5 years ago)
hi skyfall007 dont let your grades put you down you know i remember this quote by a person: if you first don't succeed try try again. My advice i think you can do it again don't worry i am sure you will do way better
Original post by 2838676907
hi skyfall007 dont let your grades put you down you know i remember this quote by a person: if you first don't succeed try try again. My advice i think you can do it again don't worry i am sure you will do way better

Hello!
Thanks for the quote. But bro I am really disappoint to myself; its on that of my ego but I am really good in studies I spent now (currently) 11 hours study everyday.
So are you suggesting me to give the O levels again in 1 sitting all the 7 subjects together?
yes you should try it again
Original post by Skyfall007
Hello!
Thanks for the quote. But bro I am really disappoint to myself; its on that of my ego but I am really good in studies I spent now (currently) 11 hours study everyday.
So are you suggesting me to give the O levels again in 1 sitting all the 7 subjects together?
yes you should try it again

Alright then if that's the case, may I ask which board I should give again all the 7 subjects? CAIE or Pearson Edexcel. So refer as per I mentioned about something in my very first post about CAIE and Edexcel board.
Go for Pearson Edexcel it will be easier for you
Alright then if that's the case, may I ask which board I should give again all the 7 subjects? CAIE or Pearson Edexcel. So refer as per I mentioned about something in my very first post about CAIE and Edexcel board.
Hey! Thanks a lot for your response,
Well; I have Physics, ICT, English Language B on May 2018.
and gave Chemistry, Maths B, Pure Maths and Bengali this Jan 2019.
I doubt about chemistry and about their checking, I don't know exactly what happened.

Yeah I would like to go to UK or some good countries mainly to a good university, but with these IGCSE (O level) results is it worth apply for them? I know my most friends tell me that for normal universities around they world and mostly they don't give a damn on your IGCSE ( O level result). They only look into your final A level result.

So really confused on whether I will give all those 7 subjects again freshly or what exactly...

If you want to go to a UK uni you should do the English again as a C in that will open more doors to you (although I think they can require an additional English language qualification regardless, many won't)
You are correct that most won't especially care about your grades, but they will care about English (and maths, but not pure maths) being at least a C
You then have the choice of either sitting just the English or doing all the ones you got less than a C/all the ones you feel you can improve in.
Personally I think it's not worth redoing any you don't feel you can improve significantly on since you have to put both on your application so getting two poor grades in the same subject would be worse than just getting one, but that's up to you and your teachers to decide :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
If you want to go to a UK uni you should do the English again as a C in that will open more doors to you (although I think they can require an additional English language qualification regardless, many won't)
You are correct that most won't especially care about your grades, but they will care about English (and maths, but not pure maths) being at least a C
You then have the choice of either sitting just the English or doing all the ones you got less than a C/all the ones you feel you can improve in.
Personally I think it's not worth redoing any you don't feel you can improve significantly on since you have to put both on your application so getting two poor grades in the same subject would be worse than just getting one, but that's up to you and your teachers to decide :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

My several friends; and especially those who got 4 A*, other As in this Jan 19 and other sitting as well previous years. Told me not to give all 7 subjects over again. They told should give Chemistry again and if you want you can try to give English as well too!
So now I think changing my Exam board from Pearson Edexcel to Cambridge AND giving all 7 subjects again isn't a good and wise choice as well a decision, what you say?
And my friends even mentioned that if you change the board and give all exams again you will waste a lots of times!

Whereas only 2 or 1 subjects is worth for re-giving.
I want to ask you that if I give Chemistry and English then when should I give it? Like now today 11th March 2019 was the late date for registration for this June 2019 exam so when should I give it so that I can score a good grade?

And for Pearson Edexcel English, there is so many different types of categories of English like;
1. English Language as a Second Language
2. English Language A
3. English Language B
3. English Language Specification B

And after my Jan 2019 Exam I started doing my IAS Edexcel of P1, P2 and M1. Physics and Chemistry.
So should I continue doing my A levels and along study the O level subjects which I will re-give or pause the A levels and start after my O levels in completely done?
I don't know why I feel that Cambridge now is much and always better than Edexcel because there is always complain about bad marking in Edexcel.
So I was that's why willing to give IGCSE again with Cambridge no matter I have to study a year the main thing is the good grade and improvement as grades matter in this world.
Reply 12
See Lemur's response above. You need to resit English and Maths GCSEs as that's essential for any UK university. :smile:
My several friends; and especially those who got 4 A*, other As in this Jan 19 and other sitting as well previous years. Told me not to give all 7 subjects over again. They told should give Chemistry again and if you want you can try to give English as well too!
So now I think changing my Exam board from Pearson Edexcel to Cambridge AND giving all 7 subjects again isn't a good and wise choice as well a decision, what you say?
And my friends even mentioned that if you change the board and give all exams again you will waste a lots of times!

Whereas only 2 or 1 subjects is worth for re-giving.
I want to ask you that if I give Chemistry and English then when should I give it? Like now today 11th March 2019 was the late date for registration for this June 2019 exam so when should I give it so that I can score a good grade?

And for Pearson Edexcel English, there is so many different types of categories of English like;
1. English Language as a Second Language
2. English Language A
3. English Language B
3. English Language Specification B

And after my Jan 2019 Exam I started doing my IAS Edexcel of P1, P2 and M1. Physics and Chemistry.
So should I continue doing my A levels and along study the O level subjects which I will re-give or pause the A levels and start after my O levels in completely done?

If you get a good chemistry A level that will effectively overwrite your bad GCSE grade in chemistry.
I think it would be most usual to retake the English in the next session you can and continue with the A levels, but in all honesty I'm not really familiar with iGCSEs compared to GCSEs and resitting the whole lot of GCSEs here would be pretty much unheard of so I'm not too sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Lemur14
If you get a good chemistry A level that will effectively overwrite your bad GCSE grade in chemistry.
I think it would be most usual to retake the English in the next session you can and continue with the A levels, but in all honesty I'm not really familiar with iGCSEs compared to GCSEs and resitting the whole lot of GCSEs here would be pretty much unheard of so I'm not too sure.
Posted from TSR Mobile

The resit for iGCSEs should be similar but OP could check on the exam board for future info. :smile:
Go for Pearson Edexcel it will be easier for you

Hey, thanks a lot mate for you opinion, I really appreciate it!
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
See Lemur's response above. You need to resit English and Maths GCSEs as that's essential for any UK university. :smile:

Yeah you are right. English is must for a resit. But about Maths which one you mean: I got B in Maths B so are you talking about Pure Maths that I got D and need to resit in it.
Original post by Lemur14

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's correct about A level Chemistry but my friends and teacher told that you but at least get C or B in IGCSE Chemistry as to show paper proof that you are a go for A level Chemistry to matter what.

And about the Exam Board change what is your opinion mate?
Reply 16

Yeah you are right. English is must for a resit. But about Maths which one you mean: I got B in Maths B so are you talking about Pure Maths that I got D and need to resit in it.

In that case, you only need to resit GCSE English Language/Literature - whatever one applies to you. You don't need to resit Pure Maths as GCSE Maths will suffice. Hope this helps. :smile:
In that case, you only need to resit GCSE English Language/Literature - whatever one applies to you. You don't need to resit Pure Maths as GCSE Maths will suffice. Hope this helps. :smile:

Got it! Just for any doubt so you are suggesting me to only resit for English and Chemistry right? Not the whole IGCSE of 7 Subjects?
And about Exam Board do you think I should change it to Cambridge? As I told earlier about Edexcel's wrong marking and for me in my point of view Cambridge seems to be organized so that's why I thought maybe I should resit for all in Cambridge hmm? :colondollar:
The resit for iGCSEs should be similar but OP could check on the exam board for future info. :smile:

iGCSEs are different though because there are 3 sittings a year and that makes it much more common to sit them over multiple sittings etc.

That's correct about A level Chemistry but my friends and teacher told that you but at least get C or B in IGCSE Chemistry as to show paper proof that you are a go for A level Chemistry to matter what.

And about the Exam Board change what is your opinion mate?

It depends, if you're going to apply with predicted grades only then taking would be worth it for that reason but if you're gonna apply with achieved grades then it's not worth it because they can see you have improved.
I wouldn't swap exam board tbh, they're compared to be equally difficult and it's more difficult to swap than otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
iGCSEs are different though because there are 3 sittings a year and that makes it much more common to sit them over multiple sittings etc.

It depends, if you're going to apply with predicted grades only then taking would be worth it for that reason but if you're gonna apply with achieved grades then it's not worth it because they can see you have improved.
I wouldn't swap exam board tbh, they're compared to be equally difficult and it's more difficult to swap than otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I got the hang of it; maybe I should stay in Pearson Edexcel board. And I forgot to mention that my friends even told me that B on other Subjects isn't bad so only resit the ones you got really bad. As its a waste of time and as I mentioned earlier Universities don't give so much damn on IGCSE results.

Now in the conclusion; I think instead of resitting all 7, I should only resit for English and Chemistry right?

Quick Reply

Latest