The Student Room Group

People predicted 4 A*'s

For people who are predicted 4 A*'s on here: How much content do you have left to learn - if you're doing your exams this summer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you talking about how the content is being taught at school? Because if that's the case it doesn't matter whether the respondents are predicted A*A*A* or EEE. And obviously everyone's going to have to revise things at some point. If your question is, how many topics have I mastered, the answer is probably none.

The further maths course was finished, content-wise, by the end of the spring half-term at my school, having started at the beginning of year 13. With physics we still need to cover two-thirds of the astrophysics module and maybe the very end of the last chapter on nuclear physics. As for history, we've nearly finished both Tudors and Russia but there's still a moderate chunk of civil rights in the USA left.
Original post by Sinnoh
Are you talking about how the content is being taught at school? Because if that's the case it doesn't matter whether the respondents are predicted A*A*A* or EEE. And obviously everyone's going to have to revise things at some point. If your question is, how many topics have I mastered, the answer is probably none.

The further maths course was finished, content-wise, by the end of the spring half-term at my school, having started at the beginning of year 13. With physics we still need to cover two-thirds of the astrophysics module and maybe the very end of the last chapter on nuclear physics. As for history, we've nearly finished both Tudors and Russia but there's still a moderate chunk of civil rights in the USA left.

Good luck! So you're predicted 3A*'s?
Reply 3
Original post by Maths&physics
Good luck! So you're predicted 3A*'s?

Yeah although my mocks were A*AA and either A or B in further maths (no grade boundaries). Really the main thing I need to work on for fm is just not running out of time in the papers. Content isn't that much of a problem, but there are things I've forgotten.
Original post by Sinnoh
Yeah although my mocks were A*AA and either A or B in further maths (no grade boundaries). Really the main thing I need to work on for fm is just not running out of time in the papers. Content isn't that much of a problem, but there are things I've forgotten.

WOW! A*AA(A/B) in your mocks!! Well done! You'll definitely get 3/4 A*s in the summer!
Reply 5
WOW! A*AA(A/B) in your mocks!! Well done! You'll definitely get 3/4 A*s in the summer!

That wasn't the impression I got myself but thanks anyway, lol. Good luck to you - don't worry too much about not finishing the content way early, it will at least mean that some topics will be fresh in your mind by the time you go on study leave.
Original post by Sinnoh
That wasn't the impression I got myself but thanks anyway, lol. Good luck to you - don't worry too much about not finishing the content way early, it will at least mean that some topics will be fresh in your mind by the time you go on study leave.

ah, ok, that's true. thanks.

which uni are you firming?
Reply 7
ah, ok, that's true. thanks.

which uni are you firming?

Imperial for physics, so A* required in maths + A*A in any order in further maths and physics. You?
same problem for me in fm, especially in mechanics and additional pure
Original post by Sinnoh
Original post by Sinnoh
Imperial for physics, so A* required in maths + A*A in any order in further maths and physics. You?

im waiting to hear back from UCL, if not, I'm reapplying to UCL and Cambridge. did you apply to Cambridge?
Reply 10
Original post by Maths&amp
im waiting to hear back from UCL, if not, I'm reapplying to UCL and Cambridge. did you apply to Cambridge?

I did, got rejected pre-interview - probably because of the NSAA. I did consider reapplying.
Original post by Sinnoh
I did, got rejected pre-interview - probably because of the NSAA. I did consider reapplying.

never mind, Imperial is amazing.
Reply 12
Original post by Maths&amp
never mind, Imperial is amazing.

Yeah I'm very happy to have had an offer from there. Imperial was my top choice back when I wanted to do engineering
Original post by Sinnoh
Yeah I'm very happy to have had an offer from there. Imperial was my top choice back when I wanted to do engineering

btw, were your mocks AS mocks?
Reply 14
btw, were your mocks AS mocks?

I had my mocks in late february/early march. They were A-level mocks - the physics paper was just the june 2018 paper, the further maths paper covered the entire course, the only AS part was the Stats & Mechanics paper.
Original post by Sinnoh
I had my mocks in late february/early march. They were A-level mocks - the physics paper was just the june 2018 paper, the further maths paper covered the entire course, the only AS part was the Stats & Mechanics paper.

how can they expect you to do a paper on stuff you've not covered, or did you leave those parts out or something?
Reply 16
how can they expect you to do a paper on stuff you've not covered, or did you leave those parts out or something?

We had covered it. We finished all of further maths before the half-term, and all the standard content for physics. Single maths we had done all in year 12.
Original post by Sinnoh
We had covered it. We finished all of further maths before the half-term, and all the standard content for physics. Single maths we had done all in year 12.

wow, that's early! well, you'll have little issue getting A*'s then. :smile:
Hey my brother got 4A*s in his mocks, and he said that he has covered all the content in A-level biology, physics, and Chemistry, and there is 2 topics left to do for mathematics.
Original post by Glycerate
Hey my brother got 4A*s in his mocks, and he said that he has covered all the content in A-level biology, physics, and Chemistry, and there is 2 topics left to do for mathematics.

amazing! well done to him! did he apply to oxbridge?

Quick Reply

Latest