The Student Room Group

Durham vs. Lancaster: Russel Group - worth it?

Hey everyone,

I've applied to a course in English Lang/Lit or English Lit for each of my courses and have received offers from all 5. They're all part of the Russell Group except for Lancaster, which isn't. I have received offers from Durham and Lancaster for roughly the same points, Lancaster's a tad lower. I am currently debating which one to firm. They have almost the exact same stats in terms of research and graduate prospects. Lancaster has better accommodation and I prefer the course more but Durham has the reputation of being Russell Group. So, my question is, does it matter that much whether you go to a Russell Group uni in terms of its aid toward employability? And which one do you think I should firm? I can only firm one, as I have Exeter as my insurance choice.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_University
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_University

one of them has a GOLD 2017 teaching excellence framework award

more wiki "The TEF ratings are based on statistics such as dropout rates, student satisfaction survey results and graduate employment rates.[1] These are assessed by experts in teaching and learning who make a recommendation to a TEF panel, which includes academics and students, that will make the final award. Universities are measured across three areas: teaching quality, learning environment, and student outcomes and learning gain" [2017]
No, it doesn’t matter. Choose the course you prefer at the university you want.
Personally, I'd go for Durham - it's a much better university and in a better location, but if you prefer the course at Lancaster, you might be better going there. You don't want to end up somewhere and hate what you're doing. Also, don't rely too much on a uni being in the Russell Group - loads of good universities aren't Russell Group.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by samanthani
it's in a better location

i lol’d
Original post by angelinahx
i lol’d

Why? North-West vs North-East, both cold and wet. No difference in my opinion.
Durham Uni is closer to the city centre. Lancaster Uni is out in the sticks. But true, both up North, so the weather's not going to be great. If you want good weather, don't go to university in the UK!
Original post by random_matt
Original post by samanthani
Durham Uni is closer to the city centre. Lancaster Uni is out in the sticks. But true, both up North, so the weather's not going to be great. If you want good weather, don't go to university in the UK!

I know, been to Durham. And your second point is a load of rubbish, barely ever rains in the South-East and record breaking summer not so long ago. I currently live in the driest county.
Reply 8
Original post by LuigiMario
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_University
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_University

one of them has a GOLD 2017 teaching excellence framework award

more wiki "The TEF ratings are based on statistics such as dropout rates, student satisfaction survey results and graduate employment rates.[1] These are assessed by experts in teaching and learning who make a recommendation to a TEF panel, which includes academics and students, that will make the final award. Universities are measured across three areas: teaching quality, learning environment, and student outcomes and learning gain" [2017]

Actually... both do... that's why I said they had similar stats

Because both cities are literally sh*t. It always surprises me when people, especially young people, favour dull towns over interesting cities. Imagine not only putting down Lancaster or Durham on your UCAS application, but both. At the same time.
Because both cities are literally sh*t. It always surprises me when people, especially young people, favour dull towns over interesting cities. Imagine not only putting down Lancaster or Durham on your UCAS application, but both. At the same time.

Agreed, they are both pretty mediocre in terms of being a city. I guess it comes down to what you want within your location. I'm happy to stay within the green areas and try to stay out of the city centre itself.
Reply 11
It wasn't so much location. I also got offers from Nottingham and Birmingham. However, those two towns were the top rankings for graduate prospects after completing an English degree; that's what mattered most to me. Durham is close to Newcastle anyway, so I can travel there easily if I want more of a city vibe. I've lived in major cities my entire life, so I already know what its like to live in them.
Sorry Tabithas, I devoured the 2017 TEF's when they came out and I memorised the Golds, I didn't notice that Durham had now moved up to gold for the 2018 analysis. They were in (joint) second place in 2017 - glad to see they're improving! Some famous colleges never even participated. . ..

Well, yes, much of a muchness - my friends used to run a dry-cleaning business in Durham town - it was a very nice town, Lancaster was a bit damper.
I noticed (replying to a young Korean Lad on another thread) that Durham has both a CAMRA group (proximity to the Tan Hill Inn and Masham, I guess) and also their https://www.facebook.com/groups/DUHWS/ Hill Walking club seems nicely active, amongst many others.

You could do a lot more research, find out which uni has the clubs that more appeal to you directly, draw up a multi page excel spreadsheet analysis - then eventually simply toss a coin! ('toss it again if you don't get the answer that you secretly want)
Original post by tabithas
It wasn't so much location. I also got offers from Nottingham and Birmingham. However, those two towns were the top rankings for graduate prospects after completing an English degree; that's what mattered most to me. Durham is close to Newcastle anyway, so I can travel there easily if I want more of a city vibe. I've lived in major cities my entire life, so I already know what its like to live in them.

Of course, and you do you! I've met people who absolutely loved Durham as a city - because it's small and cozy and that's what they're used to and crave - the accommodation is great as well and the university is amazing and they detested Manchester! I know less about Lancaster - but if it's top for graduate employability and you can imagine yourself studying there, that's great.

I was selfishly referring to my own views, and I guess, the opinion of those students I know at those universities - I've visited both and both were... dreadful to me - but this is obviously about you, so if you like it, go for it.
Which college have you be allocated in Durham?
Reply 15
Original post by siamsam
Which college have you be allocated in Durham?

Castle / University College
Reply 16
Np luigiMario. I like the club/excel idea - thank you! I wouldn't have thought of that. I think at the end of the day I'm probably just going to go with my gut instinct on this (which right now is swinging towards Durham).
Original post by LuigiMario
Sorry Tabithas, I devoured the 2017 TEF's when they came out and I memorised the Golds, I didn't notice that Durham had now moved up to gold for the 2018 analysis. They were in (joint) second place in 2017 - glad to see they're improving! Some famous colleges never even participated. . ..

Well, yes, much of a muchness - my friends used to run a dry-cleaning business in Durham town - it was a very nice town, Lancaster was a bit damper.
I noticed (replying to a young Korean Lad on another thread) that Durham has both a CAMRA group (proximity to the Tan Hill Inn and Masham, I guess) and also their https://www.facebook.com/groups/DUHWS/ Hill Walking club seems nicely active, amongst many others.

You could do a lot more research, find out which uni has the clubs that more appeal to you directly, draw up a multi page excel spreadsheet analysis - then eventually simply toss a coin! ('toss it again if you don't get the answer that you secretly want)
My daughter selected Lancaster over Durham as she was allocated a fully catered college at Durham and she wanted self catering. Other than that she preferred the more rural location of Lancaster, the fact that it was a campus university and the modules at Lancaster were slightly more appealing to her. If she hadn't received an offer from Lancaster Durham would have been her first choice as Durham is a lovely town (we visited an open day last summer and the weather was glorious).
Original post by tabithas
Castle / University College

Do you know if you are actually within the keep? Most rooms are not.
Reply 19
accommodation is not confirmed until after you accept your offer - I wouldn't want to be in the keep, I actually want to go for the Self-Catered accommodation option. Fingers crossed I get it.
Do you know if you are actually within the keep? Most rooms are not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending