The Student Room Group
Original post by defense_lord
ASTON OR UCLAN FOR MEDICINE 2019 ENTRY? Which should I firm? Kindly compare both and advice on which is the better choice. Any reply will be appreciated for an international student. Thx u.

Glad to see we are in your final two,

Is there anything you wanted to ask? Have you had a chance to visit the campus?

Josh
Everyone in my school says UCLAN isn't very good. But it seems they have a lot of internationals.

I'd go for Aston.
(edited 5 years ago)
ASTON OR UCLAN FOR MEDICINE 2019 ENTRY? Which should I firm? Kindly compare both and advice on which is the better choice. Any reply will be appreciated for an international student. Thx u.

I don't know what UCLan medicine is like but I used to study at UCLan for another subject and it's rubbish. Go for Aston
It's the uni itself. I seriously cannot remember why but nearly everyone in my year complained and advised against going there

My friend who went there for a medicine interview complained at the fact that there are much much more spaces for internationals on the course than home students which may be a plus to OP.
Original post by Aston University
Glad to see we are in your final two,

Is there anything you wanted to ask? Have you had a chance to visit the campus?

Josh

When do students relocate to the new building for medicine?
What research opportunities (or anything else) are provided to students during summer?
Is the course unnecessarily intensive due to staff taking on multiple roles as mentioned by the GMC?
Are students taught in small groups majority of the time?
(edited 5 years ago)
What research opportunities (or anything else) are provided to students during summer?
Is the course unnecessarily intensive due to staff taking on multiple roles as mentioned by the GMC?
Are students taught in small groups majority of the time?

Hi,

Students will be moving into new facilities for Aston Medical School in September 2019. These new facilities will be located in the main building, refurbished to meet the needs of our medical students.

What research opportunities (or anything else) are provided to students during the summer?

The AMRI (Aston Medical Research Institute), as well as other research groups in allied subjects (biology, biomedical, pharmacy), conduct research throughout the year. If you have a desire to work on research during summer periods there are multiple opportunities. This is in addition to the student selected component you'll undertake in Phase 2. Our Executive Dean encourages students to get involved in medical research and we have a very friendly research community at Aston. If you let the staff at the medical school know which areas you're interested in they will try and be as accommodating as possible.

All medical courses will be intensive, whichever institution you choose to study at. However, we have taken on more staff for next year in an attempt to address the concerns of the GMC.

Are students taught in small groups the majority of the time?

Students are taught in a variety of different ways, within larger ‘lecture’ type scenarios as well as smaller groups. There is a big emphasis on smaller group working within the course and our new facilities have been set up so as to accommodate this approach. In addition, we utilise technology as much as possible as well as providing inter-professional learning opportunities in mixed groups with students on courses including pharmacy and biomedical science.

Hope that helps, anything else just give me a shout.

Josh

Latest

Trending

Trending