The Student Room Group

Tips for memorising things quickly and tips for GCSE French speaking exam

I have my French speaking exam in a couple of days and I feel very overwhelmed, if anyone has some speaking exam tips (I’m doing Edexcel if that makes any difference) I would really appreciate it!!
Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Same with me but i´m doing AQA GCSE spanish
Basically, i don´t know what it is like with Edexcel
but i´m just going through all the possible questions my school has gave me
if their is questions which stumbled me, i´m highlighting them, and then closer to date, i´ll look up model answers
also, i would just remember specific fancy language, like in Spanish i always say ´i would say that´as its conditional bla bla
Reply 2
Original post by MarshallOs
Same with me but i´m doing AQA GCSE spanish
Basically, i don´t know what it is like with Edexcel
but i´m just going through all the possible questions my school has gave me
if their is questions which stumbled me, i´m highlighting them, and then closer to date, i´ll look up model answers
also, i would just remember specific fancy language, like in Spanish i always say ´i would say that´as its conditional bla bla

Yes that sounds helpful. I’ve got a grid where I’ve highlighted how confident I feel for each question. Yellow for bad, green for good. Right now I am very anxious about the amount of yellow.
i literally only started revising today
lol im screwed
but tbf i´ve been working hard at vocab
and i´ve just come up with generic answers for pretty much all the questions lol
funny thing is, i would say i´m very nerdy. like doing all past papers ever
but this exam, and the english literature charles dickens exam, i just can´t
Reply 5
i literally only started revising today
lol im screwed
but tbf i´ve been working hard at vocab
and i´ve just come up with generic answers for pretty much all the questions lol

I kinda new some questions already but my hardcore revision only really started today and my exam is Wednesday morning. It’s gonna be fun.
Reply 6
funny thing is, i would say i´m very nerdy. like doing all past papers ever
but this exam, and the english literature charles dickens exam, i just can´t

I haven’t done a past paper for any of my French outside of school but we did a few with our teacher.
Reply 7
I used a strategy where I said I always did something with my brother, eg we played chess together, went to the cinema together etc. Then you said you like what you did, then using a connective, you say your brother didn’t like it. That way you vary structures and vocabulary as you use negatives and positives. Try speaking answers to yourself for the specimen speaking cards online, as it is a speaking exam, not a writing exam after all!
(edited 5 years ago)
don´t worry
only meant past papers for other subjects, more of a sciency guy
still screwed since im taking it for a levels
are you doing it THIS wednesday
Original post by Deggs_14
I used a strategy where I said I always did something with my brother, eg we played chess together, went to the cinema together etc. Then you said you like what you did, then using a connective, you say your brother didn’t like it. That way you vary structures and vocabulary as you use negatives and positives. Try writing answers or speaking answers to yourself for the specimen speaking cards online.

yea same lol.
mine is me and family went to the cinnema
or if its about travels i say my heart is in spain
i´m going to learn fancy subjunctive phrases
Reply 10
don´t worry
only meant past papers for other subjects, more of a sciency guy
still screwed since im taking it for a levels
are you doing it THIS wednesday

YES THIS WEDNESDAY so feckin screwed. I’m not taking it for a-level but the college I want to go to is a prestigious private school so they want 6 GCSEs with a 6 grade or higher. I am really not a science gal lmao. It’s not that I hate it, my class is just super smart so I’m always behind and it makes me feel stupid.
Reply 11
I used a strategy where I said I always did something with my brother, eg we played chess together, went to the cinema together etc. Then you said you like what you did, then using a connective, you say your brother didn’t like it. That way you vary structures and vocabulary as you use negatives and positives. Try writing answers or speaking answers to yourself for the specimen speaking cards online.

I will use this as a back up plan. I have already written answers for the questions we are asked there are just so many to remember...
Reply 12
Also learn or practice some phrases that you can apply to many things, eg a holiday you went on, a thing that you did with your friend, your opinion on music etc. Vary the tense you use, and the person, eg not just je and present tense
yea honestly you'll be fine
Please tell us how it went
Reply 14
yea same lol.

Lmao it’s always the cinema isn’t it. I’ve used that so many times in the past haha
Reply 15
Also learn or practice some phrases that you can apply to many things, eg a holiday you went on, a thing that you did with your friend, your opinion on music etc. Vary the tense you use, and the person, eg not just je and present tense

You make it sound so easy
Reply 16
yea same lol.

Ton coeur doit être en Espagne sans doute! Il faut que tu apprenne nombreux de phrases «extravagants »
Do you plan to learn how to conjugate the subjective, or just some set phrases, eg “il faut je que réussisse mes examens” or “bien que l’expérience soit mal” etc?
set phrases
at a levels i'll actually put some effort in
Reply 18
yea honestly you'll be fine
Please tell us how it went

Oof ye I’ll let you know. My sister had a panic attack in her exam and they let her retake it so if it all goes to **** I can pray to god that they lemme do the same.
Reply 19
Original post by LizieM
You make it sound so easy

Sorry french was my best subject last year and I somehow got 238/240 in total which is a very high grade 9. One of my favourite things to do is help people and give advice about their french gcse exams, especially at this time of year when the speaking exams take place :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending