The Student Room Group

PhD

I am thinking about doing a PhD in clinical psychology and I'm not sure how important the university you attend is when getting the PhD. Does it effect how likely you are to be employed and does it make your doctorate less valid?
doctorate is a doctorate. The research will be published around the world regardless of what university. Not many people do PhD so what university you choose means less. They more interested in what your project is about and future implications. So the more industry relevent your reseach is, the more employable you are. E.g. If you did chemical engineering PhD about materials, the oil industries would likely hire you than a nuclear company
Original post by han_eas
I am thinking about doing a PhD in clinical psychology and I'm not sure how important the university you attend is when getting the PhD. Does it effect how likely you are to be employed and does it make your doctorate less valid?

It's not so much about the university, as being able to find a researcher willing to supervise you. A generally high ranked university may not have anyone that's interested in your particular project, while lower ranked university may have the perfect fit.
Reply 3
Cannot stress enough how little the institution matters relative to the actual supervisor. Find a great supervisor, regardless of where they are based.
Original post by gjd800
Cannot stress enough how little the institution matters relative to the actual supervisor. Find a great supervisor, regardless of where they are based.

What makes a supervisor 'great'?
Reply 5
Original post by FutureMissMRCS

The main two things are that they are capable and that you get on with them. A minimum of 3 years working hand-in-hand with someone is very hard if they are incompetent or a total arse, I have seen it kill people's enthusiasm and end careers before they started.
Original post by gjd800
The main two things are that they are capable and that you get on with them. A minimum of 3 years working hand-in-hand with someone is very hard if they are incompetent or a total arse, I have seen it kill people's enthusiasm and end careers before they started.

How would you know if you get on with them if you never emt them before or do you have to be someone you know well to do a PhD with them?I don't really know how it all works .:colondollar:
Reply 7
How would you know if you get on with them if you never emt them before or do you have to be someone you know well to do a PhD with them?I don't really know how it all works .:colondollar:

It is wise to go see them in person before you commit.

Experience, will respond to emails.
Original post by Notoriety
Experience, will respond to emails.

Original post by gjd800
It is wise to go see them in person before you commit.

So when you pick supervisors is it like:

66488488.jpg
Reply 10
So when you pick supervisors is it like:

66488488.jpg

Well, sort of. But you might be invited by a supervisor to apply to work under them, or you might approach potential supervisors. It is ultimately their choice in the end and not yours.
Original post by gjd800
Well, sort of. But you might be invited by a supervisor to apply to work under them, or you might approach potential supervisors. It is ultimately their choice in the end and not yours.

So when you want to do a PhD do you just email people you would think you would want as a supervisor and then if they say yes -you're in and you're going to do a PhD or... (so how does one go about the application process..?)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
So when you want to do a PhD do you just email people you would think you would want as a supervisor and then if they say yes -you're in and you're going to do a PhD or... (so how does one go about the application process..?)

You get in touch -- relatively formally, so no 'hiaaa, can I do a PhD, cheers...' -- and ask if they would be interested in and have time to supervise xyz PhD project. If they say yes, then you have to apply through their institution's process and satisfy the institutional criteria.

Alternatively you might be approached and asked, or you might apply for a set studentship with a project defined by a council etc. In all cases you need to apply to (and maybe then compete via) the institution's admissions people. You should get to know the potential supervisor(s) at least via email exchanges so that you can get a feel for them. Better to have met them at some point, in my experience. Makes judging it a little easier. I already knew my primary supervisor so it was painless enough for me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
You get in touch -- relatively formally, so no 'hiaaa, can I do a PhD, cheers...' -- and ask if they would be interested in and have time to supervise xyz PhD project. If they say yes, then you have to apply through their institution's process and satisfy the institutional criteria.

Alternatively you might be approached and asked, or you might apply for a set studentship with a project defined by a council etc. In all cases you need to apply to (and maybe then compete via) the institution's admissions people. You should get to know the potential supervisor(s) at least via email exchanges so that you can get a feel for them. Better to have met them at some point, in my experience. Makes judging it a little easier. I already knew my primary supervisor so it was painless enough for me.

Ofc I wouldn't write 'hey mate,do you want to be my phd supervisor or not', I was just simplifying the process .Thanks for the explanation,well explained.

Have you done a masters before this? or a degree related to this doctorate? if so I would contact the tutor as you would've formed some sort of partnership and may offer you a place
Reply 15
Ofc I wouldn't write 'hey mate,do you want to be my phd supervisor or not', I was just simplifying the process .Thanks for the explanation,well explained.

You'd be surprised how many do -- a sizeable minority!
Original post by ddsizebra
Have you done a masters before this? or a degree related to this doctorate? if so I would contact the tutor as you would've formed some sort of partnership and may offer you a place

No :rofl: I was just curious about how it all works.Thanks for the advice anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending