The Student Room Group

btec - Near Pass ?

if you get near pass in the external exams and passes, merits and distinction on the coursework - can you still pass?
thanks in advance
Original post by anon123a
if you get near pass in the external exams and passes, merits and distinction on the coursework - can you still pass?
thanks in advance

No. You have to get a min of a pass in every module.
I’m unsure, as it depends on the course your doing and what units your taking while I’ve been made aware by my teacher despite my near pass I could still get a pass overall but as I said check your subject/units and also your teacher if it’s still feasible. While I’ve been told it became a thing due to how many people fail their exams
btw this is for Level 3 and equivalent to 2 a-levels ... so ur saying regardless you need passes.. whats the point of a near pass then? thanks
Original post by 999tigger
No. You have to get a min of a pass in every module.
right.. mine is equivalent to 2 a-levels .i spoke to my teacher and he was hesitant at first and he has previously mentioned you need a near pass .. mann, all my teachers are dodgy and lie
Original post by 12haywardJ
I’m unsure, as it depends on the course your doing and what units your taking while I’ve been made aware by my teacher despite my near pass I could still get a pass overall but as I said check your subject/units and also your teacher if it’s still feasible. While I’ve been told it became a thing due to how many people fail their exams
Original post by anon123a
btw this is for Level 3 and equivalent to 2 a-levels ... so ur saying regardless you need passes.. whats the point of a near pass then? thanks

Sorry, have looked it up for you and they have changed the rules, so the near pass is a thing. It is below a pass, but it will not prevent you getting a certificate. Before you used to have to pass everything.

See link.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/demo/stuntcontent/images/BTEC%20Nationals%202016/Letter-to-parents-Introduction-of-the-%E2%80%98Near%20Pass%E2%80%99-grade-and-changes-to-BTEC-National-qualifications.pdf
thank you very much : )
Original post by 999tigger
Sorry, have looked it up for you and they have changed the rules, so the near pass is a thing. It is below a pass, but it will not prevent you getting a certificate. Before you used to have to pass everything.

See link.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/demo/stuntcontent/images/BTEC%20Nationals%202016/Letter-to-parents-Introduction-of-the-%E2%80%98Near%20Pass%E2%80%99-grade-and-changes-to-BTEC-National-qualifications.pdf
Can you still go into second year just curious?
You can still pass the qualiication and get the extended diploma with a near pass if you have a merit/distinction in another unit to make up for it.
Original post by btecman123
You can still pass the qualiication and get the extended diploma with a near pass if you have a merit/distinction in another unit to make up for it.

So it would not affect you getting into university?
Original post by Mariam 5467
So it would not affect you getting into university?

The OP was 3 years ago. A Near Pass won't stop you going to Uni, but it will reduce your overall points and depending on your other grades, may mean you won't have enough UCAS points.
Original post by Mariam 5467
What if you get higher grades for your other units to make up for it ? Will that still give you the chance of going into university?
Will you have the chance of scoring dmm, which is 112 points?

Download the BTEC Nationals grade calculator from the link below. Fill in all of the details about your course, put in the grades for the units you already have and then put in predicted grades for remaining units and it will give you an overall predicted grade. You can then check on the UCAS website how many points that is.
Link is at; https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/using-the-next-generation-btec-nqf-grade-calculator.html
UCAS tariff is at; https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator
Hey bro I have punched in my grades on the calculator and it has given me an overall DDM, sadly I retook my finance exam after achieving a near pass the first time, but I was not feeling well on the retake day and I did not write even a page so I failed the retake, so I still get given the near pass for finance achieving on the first sitting? Also I wanna go hertz Uni will that near pass stop me?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Student_brb2901
Hey bro I have punched in my grades on the calculator and it has given me an overall DDM, sadly I retook my finance exam after achieving a near pass the first time, but I was not feeling well on the retake day and I did not write even a page so I failed the retake, so I still get given the near pass for finance achieving on the first sitting? Also I wanna go hertz Uni will that near pass stop me?

If you got an overall DMM even with a near Pass and Herts will accept that and you have the UCAS points required, then you should be okay.
(edited 1 year ago)
The calculator grade said DDM even with the near pass should I trust it?

Original post by bamtutor
If you got an overall DMM even with a near Pass and Herts will accept that and you have the UCAS points required, then you should be okay.
Original post by Student_brb2901
The calculator grade said DDM even with the near pass should I trust it?

As long as you have put the correct grades in for each unit and the correct UMS marks for the exam units, you can trust it.
Due do any coursework’s ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending