The Student Room Group

ACADEMIC?? Is history or music more academic?

I've been having many conversations and debates with my friends, but why do we have this notion of some subjects being more academic than others? In my opinion, music is definitely more academic because one has to practise everyday for hours and develop high listening skills. I dont really know but I guess everybody has an experience and suggestion.

Scroll to see replies

Good debate!

In my opinion - I always class things that allow less creative freedom as being more academic. So, I would say history is way more academic than music. Having said that, music is a very difficult subject and one I enjoyed the most at school!
Original post by lily0293
I've been having many conversations and debates with my friends, but why do we have this notion of some subjects being more academic than others? In my opinion, music is definitely more academic because one has to practise everyday for hours and develop high listening skills. I dont really know but I guess everybody has an experience and suggestion.
The ability to perform, improvise, read, understand music and music theory is one of the greatest skills one can have in my opinion.
Reply 3
In my opinion, History, but then again, I’m no expert on the matter.
Reply 4
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 5
Yes, I agree, since very few pick music since once has to have started it at a particularily young age in order to have good potential in the subject. In my opinion, anybody can do history, because it only really requires one skill, memorising, whilst you, have listed the endless skills required for music, which do of course include practising everyday for a couple of hours. I think many have this wrong perception, because again, looking at the numbers, one doesn't really need to be particularily studious, talented(and hardworking) to do history.
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
The ability to perform, improvise, read, understand music and music theory is one of the greatest skills one can have in my opinion.
(edited 4 years ago)
History I think
I take both currently at GCSE level and I think unis and places of higher education regard History as the more academic subject, but Music is harder to get your head around and in my opinion requires a lot more thought etc.

:dontknow:
Not necessarily but perhaps - anyway, does that mean it's more academic? It's harder imo to climb a mountain than to do a maths worksheet but does that mean mountain climbing is more academic than maths?

Academic: not of practical relevance. Music, although the theory is very challenging, is largely practical thus I would consider history more academic.
Yes, I agree, since very few pick music since once has to have started it at a particularily young age in order to have good potential in the subject. In my opinion, anybody can do history, because it only really requires one skill, memorising, whilst you, have listed the endless skills required for music, which do of course include practising everyday for a couple of hours

It's a bit dismissive to say that history only requires one skill.. this is nowhere near true. I think what you're trying to say is that music is HARDER than history and not more academic. The large majority, including universities probably, would say that history is more academic. This doesn't mean music is less valuable or easier, it just is more creative and practical than history
Reply 9
Yes, I understand, thank you.
Original post by mundosinfin
Not necessarily but perhaps - anyway, does that mean it's more academic? It's harder imo to climb a mountain than to do a maths worksheet but does that mean mountain climbing is more academic than maths?

Academic: not of practical relevance. Music, although the theory is very challenging, is largely practical thus I would consider history more academic.

It's a bit dismissive to say that history only requires one skill.. this is nowhere near true. I think what you're trying to say is that music is HARDER than history and not more academic. The large majority, including universities probably, would say that history is more academic. This doesn't mean music is less valuable or easier, it just is more creative and practical than history
Yes, I understand, thank you.

I personally don't take history but I do play piano and take singing lessons! When I did history I found it a lot easier than my music so I think music is very demanding and you shouldn't measure the value of a subject by how academic it is so I agree with you, I would just say history is more traditionally academic
Reply 11
Yes, of course
Original post by RazzzBerries
I take both currently at GCSE level and I think unis and places of higher education regard History as the more academic subject, but Music is harder to get your head around and in my opinion requires a lot more thought etc.

:dontknow:
Yes, but playing instruments is practical. Music is demanding and requires many skills but is not traditionally academic in the eyes of universities and higher education centres.
History essays are academic as the definition of academic is 'connected with studying and thinking, not with practical skills'. History essays are thinking and structuring arguments etc. The information that has been argued and analysed and the process of doing this is also history. Music requires creativity and intelligence but this doesn't mean it's more academic! It isn't saying that music isn't for intelligent people, it is just that music is largely practical, and these compositions are intended to be played in a practical manner as this is the most important part of the subject.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Music is for intelligent people, otherwise many people would pursue the subject, but very few actually do. This debate is not about what other universities think is academic, because that is already established, this debate is about what you believe is academic.
History essays are academic as the definition of academic is 'connected with studying and thinking, not with practical skills'. History essays are thinking and structuring arguments etc. The information that has been argued and analysed and the process of doing this is also history. It requires creativity and intelligence but this doesn't mean it's more academic! It isn't saying that music isn't for intelligent people, it is just that music is largely practical, and these compositions are intended to be played in a practical manner as this is the most important part of the subject.
Reply 15
There is also a listening paper(written) in GSCE Music, whereby you have to develop serious listening skills or else your entire grade would fall.
Music is for intelligent people, otherwise many people would pursue the subject, but very few actually do. This debate is not about what other universities think is academic, because that is already established, this debate is about what you believe is academic.

I'm not saying it isn't... I totally agree. Academic does not equal intelligence.

I'm saying what I believe is academic, and what the Cambridge English Dictionary believes is academic ('subjects connected with studying and thinking, not with practical skills'), which is probably worth listening to considering it dictates what words mean.
Reply 17
Yes, and just one last thing. By having Music GSCE, or even separate grades and diplomas in instruments, you stand out from the crowd, because very few pursue the challenging course.
I'm not saying it isn't... I totally agree. Academic does not equal intelligence.

I'm saying what I believe is academic, and what the Cambridge English Dictionary believes is academic ('subjects connected with studying and thinking, not with practical skills'), which is probably worth listening to considering it dictates what words mean.
Yes, and just one last thing. By having Music GSCE, or even separate grades and diplomas in instruments, you stand out from the crowd, because very few pursue the challenging course.

agreed, I have grade 7 in piano and it was very hard work but I am just saying that I would not personally consider it a more academic subject than, say, history. In my opinion
Reply 19
Ok, fine:smartass:
agreed, I have grade 7 in piano and it was very hard work but I am just saying that I would not personally consider it a more academic subject than, say, history. In my opinion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending