The Student Room Group

What do Manchester mean by rigorous academic subject when apply for mpharm

A-level
We require grades AAB. This must include Chemistry, either Mathematics or Biology, and one further rigorous academic subject (we do not accept General Studies or Critical Thinking). You are required to obtain a pass in the practical element of any science A-level taken.
Selection for interview is normally based on predicted grades matching the entry requirement (i.e. AAB). However, in some cases. we may consider an applicant whose predictions are ABB (with the A in Chemistry, Biology or Mathematics).
Please note the specific offer conditions will be based on the assessment of the interviewer.
Original post by aryc_30
A-level
We require grades AAB. This must include Chemistry, either Mathematics or Biology, and one further rigorous academic subject (we do not accept General Studies or Critical Thinking). You are required to obtain a pass in the practical element of any science A-level taken.
Selection for interview is normally based on predicted grades matching the entry requirement (i.e. AAB). However, in some cases. we may consider an applicant whose predictions are ABB (with the A in Chemistry, Biology or Mathematics).
Please note the specific offer conditions will be based on the assessment of the interviewer.

I've never seen them provide a definition for the term "rigorous academic subject". I would imagine that any maths/science subject, any humanity or any language, would be fine. I suspect they are trying to exclude practical / performance / artistic subjects: Art and Design, Design and Technology, Drama and Theatre, Physical Education, Music, etc.

Is there a particular subject you're taking that your concerned might not be a "rigorous academic subject"?
Reply 2
Is economics or psychology one because I’m thinking of picking one of them???

Original post by DataVenia
I've never seen them provide a definition for the term "rigorous academic subject". I would imagine that any maths/science subject, any humanity or any language, would be fine. I suspect they are trying to exclude practical / performance / artistic subjects: Art and Design, Design and Technology, Drama and Theatre, Physical Education, Music, etc.

Is there a particular subject you're taking that your concerned might not be a "rigorous academic subject"?
Reply 3
Original post by aryc_30

Yes, should be fine
Original post by aryc_30

Yes. Both are.
Reply 5
But like if had to choose one which should I pick can you gimme your thoughts and opinion by the way I want the subject that is pharmacy related and will more likely get me in the mpharm course then the other subject you get me and I want one that is more interesting,less boring,enjoyable and ez to understand if your smart and not writing toons of essays hate maths,physics,English and history and r&s???

Yes. Both are.
Original post by aryc_30
But like if had to choose one which should I pick can you gimme your thoughts and opinion by the way I want the subject that is pharmacy related and will more likely get me in the mpharm course then the other subject you get me and I want one that is more interesting,less boring,enjoyable and ez to understand if your smart and not writing toons of essays hate maths,physics,English and history and r&s???

Neither are desperately pharmacy-related. I guess there's a little biology within psychology, so if you were choosing between the two, and wanted a subject which is "pharmacy related", then psychology has the edge over economics. But it's tenuous.

However, the one which will improve your likelihood of an offer is the one in which you will get the better grade. That will obviously vary from person to person.

Have a read of the specification for both courses (from whichever exam board your school / college uses for them) and see which sounds more interesting to you.
Reply 7
Neither are desperately pharmacy-related. I guess there's a little biology within psychology, so if you were choosing between the two, and wanted a subject which is "pharmacy related", then psychology has the edge over economics. But it's tenuous.

However, the one which will improve your likelihood of an offer is the one in which you will get the better grade. That will obviously vary from person to person.

Have a read of the specification for both courses (from whichever exam board your school / college uses for them) and see which sounds more interesting to you.

Is business studies an academic rigorous subject thinking of picking it between economics and business don’t wanna do psychology???
Original post by aryc_30
Is business studies an academic rigorous subject thinking of picking it between economics and business don’t wanna do psychology???

You’d need to ask Manchester for a definitive answer.
Original post by aryc_30

This:
Original post by Admit-One
You’d need to ask Manchester for a definitive answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending