The Student Room Group

Unofficial Marking Scheme - Higher Maths 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone got the actual question paper
Original post by Erin4589

No unfortunately, gave it to my maths teacher
Original post by BookFanatic
This will be a horrible explanation but essentially this is not assumed.

This links back to Nat 5 where you got those right angled triangles in circles. The tangent creates this right angle with the centre point of the angle, so naturally the centre point of the circle and (0,-2) create the diameter.

In any case, the distance between those two points is longer than that of the other two

Of course....but horrid question
Reply 23
Does anyone remember how many marks each question was worth?
Original post by hazellowe
Of course....but horrid question

Yes took me a while to figure out which points to use, I originally used the wrong ones but ended up with a totally convoluted answer so figured it had to be the other point, that was just confirmed when I compared the distances from the two answers.

I had to get my friend to explain to me how she knew which points to use after, usually I just assume based of the scaling of the drawing 😅

Original post by Pearls1
Does anyone remember how many marks each question was worth?

Question paper is here :smile: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5581156&page=5#post82972594
Hi all, here's what I did for Q8.

20190502_182211.jpg
Original post by BookFanatic
For paper 2 question 10b, you might have to prove you can’t further factorise the third bracket by substituting the coefficients into the discriminant.

I think for paper 2Question 10 (b), you can actually factorise further into a 4 sets of bracket answer. I found a second factor (x-1) but then I successfully factorised what was in the third bracket into two further brackets. So you get something like but not exactly (x+3)(x-1)(3x - a)(x+b) --- i can't remember the 2 values I got for a and b, I don't think discriminant had anything to do with this question, but I could be wrong.
Reply 28

Yep, here! :smile:
Had to break it up into two posts, so half of it might be on the previous page.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by WestDragon
Be sure to post any corrections or additional answers if necessary.

Pictures will be posted shortly after this post.

In previous years, the marking scheme has said candidates have to mention that "the recurrence relation is linear" as well as "-1<a<1" when talking about limits... not sure if that's the case this year, but thought I'd say.
Original post by 536458
In previous years, the marking scheme has said candidates have to mention that "the recurrence relation is linear" as well as "-1<a<1" when talking about limits... not sure if that's the case this year, but thought I'd say.

Yeah, definitely worth mentioning, noticed that a couple days ago, though some schemes seem to be missing it.
Asked my lecturer about this - doesn't matter if you mention it or not as all RR will be linear at this level.
Yeah, definitely worth mentioning, noticed that a couple days ago, though some schemes seem to be missing it.
For question 15 bii you don’t use CT you use PT ( can’t explain why well ) but I suggest you look over your answer basically there’s a right angled triangle inside the circle that you have to draw and the right angle is at C and from national 5 you should know that a triangle inside a circle is equal to the circles diameter

Be sure to post any corrections or additional answers if necessary.

Pictures will be posted shortly after this post.
My solutions are posted in the discussion thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=82981600#post82981600
Reply 34
For the polynomials question I literally wrote “impossible to factorise?” next to the quadratic at the end
I hope I get the marks for it
Reply 35
Original post by ACFJ
For the polynomials question I literally wrote “impossible to factorise?” next to the quadratic at the end
I hope I get the marks for it

Seems like a valid explanation to me, but I'm not an expert :wink:
Reply 36
Yea I’m wondering if you’d have to prove it using the discriminant to get the mark. I hope that’s not the case, but who knows.
Original post by ACFJ
Yea I’m wondering if you’d have to prove it using the discriminant to get the mark. I hope that’s not the case, but who knows.

As I said above, I did something weird and managed to factorise it through, 🤔, I got 4 brackets tho, I feel I’ve done something wrong but yeah if it is wanting 5 marks worth, I fear mentioning it will not be sufficient, I think the b^2 - 4ac working was worth 2-3 marks.
It goes back to that old N5 fact that we learned about the angles between the two corners of a semicircle and a point lying on the semicircle being 90°. Since the tangent to the first circle is 90° (because it is a tangent) we can then assume that the line between the y-intercept and the centre of the first circle is a diameter (ie the two corners of a semicircle) and the point the tangent touches the circle is a point lying on this semicircle.
I'm convinced you would, because otherwise it's entirely possible one might have just not realised there were more solutions. "There aren't any more solsoluti because I can't find any" probably isn't the proof they were looking for at Higher.
Original post by ACFJ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending