The Student Room Group

Unofficial Mark scheme Edexcel GCSE Computer Science - (Paper 1)

How was it? - think i got about 50 marks ish

Scroll to see replies

What’s your expected grade because on last years boundaries that would have been a grade 8 and imo it was a harder exam this year
Original post by JürgenKlopp
How was it? - think i got about 50 marks ish
idk it was kinda easy if I'm being honest except the house and telephone diagram question and the CPU then a box then main memory diagram with the question was tricky
Original post by CharlieA207
What’s your expected grade because on last years boundaries that would have been a grade 8 and imo it was a harder exam this year
Reply 3
What did you get for that?
Original post by squirell1707
idk it was kinda easy if I'm being honest except the house and telephone diagram question and the CPU then a box then main memory diagram with the question was tricky
Reply 4
I got cache acts as a buffer and copper and fibre optic cable
Reply 5
Original post by MehranS
I got cache acts as a buffer and copper and fibre optic cable

ayea same here
Reply 6
I made 2 mistakes on math questions forgot to convert units
Reply 7
What did you guys put for the first question about the unsigned integer?And why is it important to review network policies?
Reply 8
Bottled it. But wrote about how there could be issues with your isp if you do anything illegal
Original post by mparkar
What did you guys put for the first question about the unsigned integer?And why is it important to review network policies?
Reply 9
I said so that the policies are appropriate to the company at that time.

What is code review as well?
Original post by JürgenKlopp
Bottled it. But wrote about how there could be issues with your isp if you do anything illegal
Reply 10
Unsigned has more positive values
Reply 11
Code review is the code is checked for bad coding practices
These may not be in order of how i remember then and i might have missed some questions out cause i forgot about them now; also im not writing every advantage disadvantage, use the revision guide cause i cba.
The conversion of different data types was simple.
The functional characteristics of RAM, ROM and RAM Cache Memory was easy (RAM; data is lost when power is switched off and stores currently running programs, ROM is permanent storage of data which cannot be altered and data is retained when power is switched off)
question on 5TB of data and how it was SSD and HDD i wrote and SSD more durable (no moving parts), both portable and SSD has a quicker access speed as it has no moving parts and direct access to data/information
there was a question on Boolean algebra, and the second part was to write AND Gate and NOT Gate
question on network (2 or more workstations connected together in order to share resources) and LAN is over a small geographical area and WAN is multiple LAN's linked together over a large geographical area (no need to write examples of them e.g LAN school and WAN, WWW (World Wide Web))
question of bus and mesh topology easy to draw and talk about advantage of bus (cheap), disadvantage of bus topology is something like data collisions lead to network traffic), mesh network advantage; no data collisions or few cause there are alternative routes for packets to travel to their destination but disadvantage is needs a network expert to maintain.
Acceptable user policy; acceptable staff behaviour which should be adhered to within an organisation e.g. no installation of unauthorised software, no use of external devices e.g. flash drives (USB's), not going on inappropriate websites etc.
compression ratio question = original file size/over compressed file size e.g. 195 in ratio 15:3= 5:1 simplified =195/5=39, 900/30:1=900/30 = 30, 180 by ratio 18:2 = 180/9 = 20, minimum it can write for the email = 2.
question on routing cost = easy, 6, 2, 8 10 i think (i'm not sure of the 3rd one of the top of my head)
circuit switching advantage ; reliable once connection is established, disadvantage, takes time for connection to establish.
questions on binary, denary hex = easy, i got 57 for hex, 91 for denary don't remember the binary 1, hexadecimal used as it is efficient and minimalises the chances of errors and overflow add them up, circle 9 bit (or extra bit) write ALU cannot handle extra bit, error flag occurs and CPU/ computer crashes due to extra bit, in the case of the 8-bit overflow shown above.
8 marker on boolean algebra, cba to show working for that 1 in the test
4 marker on stages of compilation is; lexical analysis, syntax analysis, semantic analysis and code optimisation (not generation)
run time error for error and declare subroutine on line 5 and close subroutine on line 12.
character sets : ASCII, Unicode, talk about that for 2 marker and state them 2 for the 1 marker.
last question on user interface was CLI, GLI, Menu Driven or Voice Driven (any 2 user interfaces) and write about them and then it talked about input and outputs, you were supposed to talk about how it relates back to the scenario e.g. for GLI provides output devices e.g. screen data is outputted (overtly simplistic here, forgot about the rest for the last question, sorry)
Well that's all i can remember i think, if i remember anything else, I'll make sure to tell you guys, anyway good luck for the rest of your exams, see you in a bit, bye.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mparkar

I wrote because of overflow error and i had never studied network policies i wrote close to the bitesize definition Network policies provide rules and guidelines on what network users can and cannot do. Most networks in large organisations will have network policies in place.
Remember this is the easy paper, paper 2 on Thursday will be harder and just code :frown:
it doesnt matter, at least you tried your hardest, dont beat yourself up about it, gl in the rest of your exams, and dw, most ppl in the country probably done shite, so the grade boundaries will decrease significantly
Original post by adhfdhdfhf
I wrote because of overflow error and i had never studied network policies i wrote close to the bitesize definition Network policies provide rules and guidelines on what network users can and cannot do. Most networks in large organisations will have network policies in place.
True, i hate ppr 2, hope i get lots of marks over both papers and get an overall 9
Original post by adhfdhdfhf
Remember this is the easy paper, paper 2 on Thursday will be harder and just code :frown:
Btw I think Edexcel should have been the first word in the thread title lol
oh god, lol, i thought this said eduqas not edexcel, sorry guys if i got u lot scared that u did the wrong questions my mistake.
Reply 19
It was a data bus everyone wrote cache

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending