The Student Room Group

Questions about A-level exam process-intl student

Hello :smile:

I am an international student who is looking to take the A-level exams (Maths, further maths, and history) next year so I can hopefully go to university in UK. I am going to be doing this as a private candidate at an exam centre.

I am very confused about how the examination process works :/

For further maths, if I understand correctly, I must choose between statistics, decision maths, and mechanics? Do I do this as well for maths? Please if someone could explain the course structure for maths and further maths it would be very helpful

Since I will be sitting these exams privately, I will not be taking the modules for these a levels. Are these modules required for me to receive at least one A* in my a level results?

Is it possible to get A* as a private candidate? Because I looked at the information online and it said something related to a Uniform Mark Scale...and I don't quite understand this.

I would really appreciate help. Thank you
(edited 4 years ago)
Are you teaching yourself or do you have a tutor? Which examination board (Cambridge, Aqa, Edexcel)? If you are taking Cambridge, maths or further maths, is no joke!! There's no way you can pass without being tutored for the longest time. If you are taking History for A level, I suggest you pick non science subjects along with it. They are much easier (i'm doing them) to get A or A* grades. UK Universities only care about grades more than choice of subjects.
Original post by doglover56
Hello :smile:

I am an international student who is looking to take the A-level exams (Maths, further maths, and history) next year so I can hopefully go to university in UK. I am going to be doing this as a private candidate at an exam centre.

I am very confused about how the examination process works :/

For further maths, if I understand correctly, I must choose between statistics, decision maths, and mechanics? Do I do this as well for maths?

Since I will be sitting these exams privately, I will not be taking the modules for these a levels. Are these modules required for me to receive at least one A* in my a level results?

Is it possible to get A* as a private candidate? Because I looked at the information online and it said something related to a Uniform Mark Scale...and I don't quite understand this.

I would really appreciate help. Thank you
Reply 2
Thank you for the response! my exam board is AQA. I have been studying advanced maths at school in my home country over the past few years so that is why I would like to do maths/further maths. however, i am not familiar with the UK examination guidelines and what A* exactly means. if i read your reply correctly, A star grades are based on the examinations only and not coursework/tests done in modules in sixth form?
Original post by DarleneChrist
Are you teaching yourself or do you have a tutor? Which examination board (Cambridge, Aqa, Edexcel)? If you are taking Cambridge, maths or further maths, is no joke!! There's no way you can pass without being tutored for the longest time. If you are taking History for A level, I suggest you pick non science subjects along with it. They are much easier (i'm doing them) to get A or A* grades. UK Universities only care about grades more than choice of subjects.
If you were taught then achieving A/A* is possible. Try studying the syllabus requirements and see which topics will be addressed in the exams.
A* grades are based on coursework/ modules for CAIE but it can be overwhelming since you have to study so many topics. I'm not sure what AQA math is like. Perhaps you should discuss this with a tutor.
Original post by doglover56
Thank you for the response! my exam board is AQA. I have been studying advanced maths at school in my home country over the past few years so that is why I would like to do maths/further maths. however, i am not familiar with the UK examination guidelines and what A* exactly means. if i read your reply correctly, A star grades are based on the examinations only and not coursework/tests done in modules in sixth form?
Reply 4
"A* grades are based on coursework/ modules for CAIE but it can be overwhelming since you have to study so many topics. "

So if my exam board was Cambridge...then it would not be possible for me to receive an A* because I am not taking the A-level modules/doing the coursework?

Thanks for the response!
Original post by DarleneChrist
If you were taught then achieving A/A* is possible. Try studying the syllabus requirements and see which topics will be addressed in the exams.
A* grades are based on coursework/ modules for CAIE but it can be overwhelming since you have to study so many topics. I'm not sure what AQA math is like. Perhaps you should discuss this with a tutor.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
bump

Quick Reply

Latest