The Student Room Group

(grad-level) 20,000 Words for 4 essays in 30 Days?

Hello all,

I have history 4 essays to write in 30 days, each of them are 5000 words. I am a grad student and previously doing social sciences so don't have a good idea about historical writing and its grading standards.

(This paragraph is just some useless complaining...) I started fretting during Easter when I still had 80 days, yet here I am - 30 days left and still at the starting point. It is very easy for me to enter a bad cycle of not sleeping (in the hope of doing something) and not doing anything> wake up in the afternoon the second day and give up on the day >and not sleeping and doing nothing again. That's how my time goes into the drain all the time. I feel very bad about how I treat my academic work and about that I don't have it together.

For my first essay, I have a very rough outline and a good idea about what I am going to write on, but the research is still poor. The second essay is review-type, I have all of the papers that I have to read for the essay but haven't read them. The third paper is a familiar topic but I have not worked on it. The fourth paper is a review-type essay but I have no clue about it so far. I also have to work out some statistical works for a long dissertation....

Pep talks and constructive advice please :'). If you have experiences working on an unfamiliar topic in a very short period of time yet still get a good grade for it, I would like to hear about it. Please be gentle with criticisms :'(..
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by PPPPPistachio
Hello all,

I have history 4 essays to write in 30 days, each of them are 5000 words. I am a grad student and previously doing social sciences so don't have a good idea about historical writing and its grading standards.

(This paragraph is just some useless complaining...) I started fretting during Easter when I still had 80 days, yet here I am - 30 days left and still at the starting point. It is very easy for me to enter a bad cycle of not sleeping (in the hope of doing something) and not doing anything> wake up in the afternoon the second day and give up on the day >and not sleeping and doing nothing again. That's how my time goes into the drain all the time. I feel very bad about how I treat my academic work and about that I don't have it together.

For my first essay, I have a very rough outline and a good idea about what I am going to write on, but the research is still poor. The second essay is review-type, I have all of the papers that I have to read for the essay but haven't read them. The third paper is a familiar topic but I have not worked on it. The fourth paper is a review-type essay but I have no clue about it so far. I also have to work out some statistical works for a long dissertation....

Pep talks and constructive advice please :'). If you have experiences working on an unfamiliar topic in a very short period of time yet still get a good grade for it, I would like to hear about it. Please be gentle with criticisms :'(..

30 days is enough to write 4 essays. They may not be amazing quality, but it can be done. You need to work out where your knowledge gaps lie, how to fill them (by further targeted research, going to study skills workshops, tutorials with your lecturers etc.), make a realistic list of tasks, then just get writing.

Even if what you write isn't great, it's easier to go back and edit existing work than trying to write magnificent prose in one draft (as the latter can be an extremely intimidating task).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending