The Student Room Group

What do you really know about Hinduism?

Hi guys,

please check the link to my blog post of a letter from Einstein on religion in it he inadvertently summarizes the core beliefs that make up the backbone of Hinduism. At my secondary school Hinduism was not taught correctly neither were any of the other religions we were taught about in R.E..

Here is the link to the letter:

https://neckpainsandclusterheadaches.blogspot.com/2019/05/einstein-and-hinduism.html
I think all religions are very misinterpreted by the society of today and throughout history.The reason Hinduism is not taught correctly at school is because it is a) misinterpreted and b) the true spiritual concepts in Hinduism are difficult for people to grasp, let alone for young people to synthesise.
This is the only way for people to rationalise religion is by alluding it to something physical.
(edited 4 years ago)
Omg, explained the misinterpretation of religion perfectly! Thank you for your wise words. :smile:
Original post by fiddletrio
I think all religions are very misinterpreted by the society of today and throughout history.The reason Hinduism is not taught correctly at school is because it is a) misinterpreted and b) the true spiritual concepts in Hinduism are difficult for people to grasp, let alone for young people to synthesise.
This is the only way for people to rationalise religion is by alluding it to something physical.
I know it's a polytheistic religion and also the world's oldest religion that originated in India.
Reply 4
Oh I know shitloads about it.
Actually when it boils down to it Hinduism really is monotheistic.
Original post by Justbeingmyself
I know it's a polytheistic religion and also the world's oldest religion that originated in India.
Hey. One problem with the Hindu lifestyle is the f*cking garbage trash called "the Manu code". It has such evil nonsense written in it under God's name in it that one could question whether Hinduism is really an honest religion.

That said, I am Hindu (cross of Hindu/Jain actually) and I am aware that the religion itself is flawless and true, just some of the patriarchal bullsh*t leaking in is false and disparaging.
That's **** so far I've only read the Bhagavad Gita and I can't find anything wrong with it. What I really like about Hinduism is they really get the point across about how practice in the physical sense is not needed and yoga in the spiritual sense is all you really need.
Original post by Jaguar1200
Hey. One problem with the Hindu lifestyle is the f*cking garbage trash called "the Manu code". It has such evil nonsense written in it under God's name in it that one could question whether Hinduism is really an honest religion.

That said, I am Hindu (cross of Hindu/Jain actually) and I am aware that the religion itself is flawless and true, just some of the patriarchal bullsh*t leaking in is false and disparaging.
Reply 8
The manusmrti is a relic of its time. It's not as bad as some other texts like the Gautama Dharmasutra, which recommends execution for dalits that hear the words of the Veda. Execution by pouring hot tin and lac down ears, if I recall correctly. Ha.
(edited 4 years ago)
That they worship cows...?
Reply 10
Original post by gjd800
The manusmrti is a relic of its time. It's not as bad as some other texts like the Gautama Dharmasutra, which recommends execution for dalits that hear the words of the Veda. Execution by pouring hot tin and lac down ears, if I recall correctly. Ha.

Thankfully dharmashastras/dharmasutras like Manu and Gautama are obsolete for today's Hindus.
I suspect they were virtually unknown to most Hindus (apart from some Brahmin communities) for much of history until the Manusmriti was used by the British to formulate Anglo-Hindu personal Law in 19th century India (probably why the Manusmriti is the most widely known of them all).

In fact, most modern Hindus (including Brahmins) wouldn't know what any of the dharmashastras are. Even fewer would actually possess a copy of one.

Since law and society are constantly changing, dharmashastras are to be discarded as they become irrelevant.
The Manusmriti itself in Chapter 4 Verse 176 recognises that a time may come when their laws will become obsolete and should therefore be changed/abrogated.
(edited 4 years ago)
Like I said, I'm a Hindu too. I totally agree with you that Hinduism is a flawless religion :smile:
Original post by Legend123456
That's **** so far I've only read the Bhagavad Gita and I can't find anything wrong with it. What I really like about Hinduism is they really get the point across about how practice in the physical sense is not needed and yoga in the spiritual sense is all you really need.
<3
Like I said, I'm a Hindu too. I totally agree with you that Hinduism is a flawless religion :smile:
Original post by Legend123456
Omg, explained the misinterpretation of religion perfectly! Thank you for your wise words. :smile:

ahh thank you! I'm hoping to go to Oxford to study ancient Hindu texts in its original Sanskrit, and hopefully gain a better understanding/ interpretation!!
It’s the religion that had the most concepts within it to learn about in RE, making memorising names for assessments unbelievably long
No one truly understands it. And the ones who claim to are lying.

Hinduism is not a religion. It’s a way of life. Hindus don’t have to necessarily believe in god. They have to believe in humanity. And that’s the only teaching i believe in and follow. The rest of too complicated and deep for us millennials to understand
Original post by fiddletrio
ahh thank you! I'm hoping to go to Oxford to study ancient Hindu texts in its original Sanskrit, and hopefully gain a better understanding/ interpretation!!

That’s super cool. Hope you can enlighten us as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending