The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

death and morality came up last year
Original post by 12ernam05
does anyone know what the streetcar named desire questions were for the AS edexcel paper ? because they tend to ask similar questions in AS and A2 papers
Do you really reckon they would give us a whole question on Mitch though? He is an important character, but I'm not sure if he's significant enough to write an entire essay on? I don't know though ://
Original post by Shiver2319
Seriously hoping something about comedy/tragic hero for Othello.
And the character of Mitch for Streetcar.
Last year they asked a question on Cassio for Othello, so anything is possible!
Original post by a_levels_188
Do you really reckon they would give us a whole question on Mitch though? He is an important character, but I'm not sure if he's significant enough to write an entire essay on? I don't know though ://
Reply 23
What is the importance of setting in a Streetcar Named Desire?
There is a signigant amount to talk about him for example at the start we think of him to be a traditional masculine male
however in the middle of the play he is quite affectionate and caring, which contrasts to Stanley and attempts to cater to Blanche needs by talking like then he reverts back to his hegemonic masculinity by attempting to rape Blanche
Original post by a_levels_188
Based on previous drama questions, it could be one of these:

Setting / Venice & Cyprus
Gender roles
Minor characters
Conflict
Suffering
Order and chaos
Public and private lives
Jealousy
Emilia
Othello (character question)
Original post by Louwhitta
Any suggestions for the Othello question?
You could talk about setting in a number of different ways, one being that it illustrates the underlying conflicts in the play. For example, the opening stage directions describe it as having both an 'atmosphere of decay' and a 'tender...lyricsm'. New Orleans may be rundown but it is also bursting with life and unresolved energies (emphasised by the personfied 'brown river').

You could also discuss setting in terms of the apartment itself. The entire play takes place there (known as 'unity of place') making it somewhat claustrophobic and increasing tension.

You could even talk about the importance of Belle Reve as a setting. The fact that it is absent from the play - and that it translates into 'beautiful dream' - emphasises the loss of the southern culture.

That's all I could think of anyway :P
Original post by HKP24
What is the importance of setting in a Streetcar Named Desire?
Reply 27
Heyya
That's some great ideas! Thanks!

What would you say is the overall effect/ reason why William's chooses to set the play in New Orleans and use all the different settings?
Original post by getschwifty
You could talk about setting in a number of different ways, one being that it illustrates the underlying conflicts in the play. For example, the opening stage directions describe it as having both an 'atmosphere of decay' and a 'tender...lyricsm'. New Orleans may be rundown but it is also bursting with life and unresolved energies (emphasised by the personfied 'brown river').

You could also discuss setting in terms of the apartment itself. The entire play takes place there (known as 'unity of place') making it somewhat claustrophobic and increasing tension.

You could even talk about the importance of Belle Reve as a setting. The fact that it is absent from the play - and that it translates into 'beautiful dream' - emphasises the loss of the southern culture.

I'm not really sure about the overall reason but I suppose New Orleans' urban landscape, as well as its diversity, emphasises the cultural shift within America. Perhaps it serves to highlight how isolated Blanche is from the modern world.

Additionally, it just occurred to me that New Orleans - as a city - has French heritage, like Blanche herself. It also has a vibrant arts scene which reminds us of Blanche's own love for the arts. I don't really know what to make of that but still...
Original post by HKP24
Heyya
That's some great ideas! Thanks!

What would you say is the overall effect/ reason why William's chooses to set the play in New Orleans and use all the different settings?
Reply 29
That makes much more sense!...Thanks so much for your contribution

I'm not really sure about the overall reason but I suppose New Orleans' urban landscape, as well as its diversity, emphasises the cultural shift within America. Perhaps it serves to highlight how isolated Blanche is from the modern world.

Additionally, it just occurred to me that New Orleans - as a city - has French heritage, like Blanche herself. It also has a vibrant arts scene which reminds us of Blanche's own love for the arts. I don't really know what to make of that but still...

Also Belle Reve is grammatically incorrect in French, which emphasises the Old America v New America stuff.
Do you think comedy/tragic hero is possible?
Based on previous drama questions, it could be one of these:

Setting / Venice & Cyprus
Gender roles
Minor characters
Conflict
Suffering
Order and chaos
Public and private lives
Jealousy
Emilia
Othello (character question)
Reply 32
Hey if a question on power came up what would be your key ideas?
power in streetcar - i made an essay plan on how truth is used as a tool of power... stanley uses the truth to assert his power over blanche, blanche hides from the truth as means of survival (power).
Original post by Kyra.ly
Hey if a question on power came up what would be your key ideas?
(edited 4 years ago)
I feel like there isn't enough related to comedy to have a whole question about it, but I suppose you could write about Iago, Roderigo, and the whole marriage thing.
I'm not sure what a question could be in relation to tragic heroes, or at least I've never seen a question like that before.
Original post by Shiver2319
Do you think comedy/tragic hero is possible?
(edited 4 years ago)
Hamlet and Faustus
Never let me go and Frankenstein
What we thinking bros??
Othello and Street Car Named Desire
Frankenstein and Never Let Me Go
Poems of the decade & Metaphysical Poems (John Donne and Other poets)
(edited 4 years ago)
So Drama exam what are you guys thinking about A Street Car Named Desire and Othello what do you reckon is most likely to crop up as a question this year?
I’m doing King Lear for drama and Handmaids tale and war of the worlds for Prose, any suggestions on what might come up?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 39
Maybe a question about women for Othello? They've never had a female character before so maybe Emilia or Desdemona. I think Bianca would be unlikely so early on in the exams, especially as Cassio was quite obscure last year.

Streetcar I'm unsure about. I don't think they've had anything about Williams' use of expressionism or something like that. Or setting?

Original post by AldiiblA
So Drama exam what are you guys thinking about A Street Car Named Desire and Othello what do you reckon is most likely to crop up as a question this year?

Latest

Trending

Trending