The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I AM GROOT 1
It was okay :s-smilie:

I really struggled to find things to talk about in terms of language analysis since there wasn't a whole lot of interesting language :frown:
Original post by Janeb120
I really struggled to find things to talk about in terms of language analysis since there wasn't a whole lot of interesting language :frown:

I talked more about the structure and speech/ tone
Yeah I know what you mean:redface:
Reply 42
i didn't find the extract too bad but load's of people in my class found it awful so don't worry! I did rubbish on mariner so it's all good, I think everyone's f*cked up one!
Original post by *Imy*
i didn't find the extract too bad but load's of people in my class found it awful so don't worry! I did rubbish on mariner so it's all good, I think everyone's f*cked up one!

yeah it wasn't too bad a lot of my class said the same thing :lol: they were not so happy with the paper--overall was okay hope the grade boundaries are some what low :s-smilie:
Reply 44
For me, the extract was... okay. Neither punch-the-sky brilliant nor prepare-for-resits awful. I commented on the 'cosy crime' picnic setting (and how this presents crime as a societal disruptor), Lucia's guilt, and the detective role (Levy). Wasn't the most entertaining of extracts though, to be honest.

For Section B I did When Will There Be Good News? and I picked the 'restoration of order' Section C question and wrote about The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Brighton Rock. I think the extract question was definitely the weakest, but what's done is done and everything. Hope it went well for everyone else!
Original post by Angus M
For me, the extract was... okay. Neither punch-the-sky brilliant nor prepare-for-resits awful. I commented on the 'cosy crime' picnic setting (and how this presents crime as a societal disruptor), Lucia's guilt, and the detective role (Levy). Wasn't the most entertaining of extracts though, to be honest.

For Section B I did When Will There Be Good News? and I picked the 'restoration of order' Section C question and wrote about The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Brighton Rock. I think the extract question was definitely the weakest, but what's done is done and everything. Hope it went well for everyone else!

Yeah i mentioned similar things for the unseen

:crossedf: lets hope it goes well and the grade boundaries are low :redface:
Reply 46
For the extract I talked about how her guilt is reflected in the changing literary pace of the piece for like a page lol, bs’d sooo much I can’t
Also... such a stupid question, but in my essays I tend to lean heavily on one argument whilst bringing up the other side only to rebuke it, my teacher hasn’t said much about this, but after reading threads I think I might’ve lost marks bc of this..... help
(edited 4 years ago)
For the extract I first focused on the detective and how his role is to restore order, etc. Then I focused on Lucia as a criminal - how family ties are important, her role as a female villain, lack of guilt, etc. Then I wrote about how many criminals are in the extract - the drug dealer, the family all hiding the truth, Lucia hiding the body, the husband murdering, the relationship with a minor, etc.

My A02 was kind of weak - I mentioned pathetic fallacy, repetition of the word 'law', dialogue, etc but not much.

A03 - I mentioned how the narrative had a 'caper' style so you could see into the mind of the criminal as it is omniscient. I talked about role of women.

A04 - I wrote about the role of the police, guilt, the motif of love, detection, investigating, criminal, etc

A05 - I still don't really know how this works in extract questions but I argued she did feel some guilt, then argued she didn't and I argued the extract raises the question if family ties or the law takes precedence.

I didn't think it was great - neither did my class. But it could have been worse - a poem or play!
Section B I did Crabbe, Browning and Wilde's poetry question on whether the criminals are appropriately punished. My basic structure was:

1. Criminals are not appropriately punished as receive a lack of punishment for their terrible crimes in My Last Duchess, Porphyria's Lover and The Laboratory.

2. Criminals are not appropriately punished as punished too much - I used Ballad of Reading Gaol.

3. My counter argument was that Peter Grime's was appropriately punished eternally for his awful crimes.

I am so glad english a-level is OVER. Woo-hoo :smile:
Section C i did Atonement and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and I answered the question about whether order was restored.

For yes it was restored - Both criminals eventually reveal the truth after a whole novel of essentially lying and both criminals are removed from society. I also argued in Atonement that Briony tried to restore order by writing a happy ending (to an extent).

For no it was not restored - I argued that there was no legal trial for the criminals - Robbie and Cecilia die guilty, Sheppard no legal trial except Poirot mock-trial scene. I also argued their destiny was better than the victims - Briony and Paul old and successful and Sheppard chooses his own suicide and has a final evening to tie up loose ends.

I eventually concluded it sort of was, but sort of wasn't. Very on the fence haha.
Ah, I feel like I'm one of the few who did Social and Political Protest:confused:
I did protest as well but no one else appears to 😂 how did you find it?
Original post by JNatalieRM
Ah, I feel like I'm one of the few who did Social and Political Protest:confused:
I found it decent. I was a bit thrown off by the extract but I understood it after a tad.
The question of Blake was so nice though,:smile: so I did Kite Runner and Doll's House for section C.
So, what texts did you do?
Original post by Laura FitzGerald
I did protest as well but no one else appears to 😂 how did you find it?
I felt the same with the extract, it took me a couple of reads to get it. I did The Handmaid’s Tale for the one writer question and then did Harvest and Blake for Section C. I thought the Blake question was nice but the Handmaids one was nicer 😂
Original post by JNatalieRM
I found it decent. I was a bit thrown off by the extract but I understood it after a tad.
The question of Blake was so nice though,:smile: so I did Kite Runner and Doll's House for section C.
So, what texts did you do?
Original post by geo123lyn

I am so glad english a-level is OVER. Woo-hoo :smile:

:woo: finally over I'm sure you did well :rave:
Reply 55
hi! what were the questions for section b and c like? :h:
Original post by Laura FitzGerald
I felt the same with the extract, it took me a couple of reads to get it. I did The Handmaid’s Tale for the one writer question and then did Harvest and Blake for Section C. I thought the Blake question was nice but the Handmaids one was nicer 😂
Reply 56
Hi, I know it has been a while since you sat that paper but can you remember the questions or themes that come up? even the title of the unseen text. I would really help thanks
Reply 57
Original post by suleqa
Hi, I know it has been a while since you sat that paper but can you remember the questions or themes that come up? even the title of the unseen text. I would really help thanks

Can only remember a Lucia hiding a body n her mom in the passage somehow... just look at the other replies in this thread to keep u alert during ur mock lol, good luck
Closing this thread :smile:

Please try to avoid cheating as this won't help. Revise and you will be fine!

Latest

Trending

Trending