The Student Room Group

Not being allowed to prom

Is anyone in the same situation that they’re not allowed to prom even though they want to go or just don’t want to?

Basically near the start of the year I got excluded/kicked out for a few days (it was over something really stupid that I did and now I really regret it, I even wrote a letter saying sorry😂) and now my head teacher has told me I’m not allowed to attend prom even though everyone else is going and I was looking forward to it.

Not sure how too feel about it because I feel like it’s like last chance we will have to make memories in high school and I can’t be a part of it.

Also I don’t get how this could be for me to “face my consequences” because I already faced them when I got kicked out for a few days and had to stay at home. So now it’s the end of the year they decide to bring it up again and say i can’t attend because of what I did nearly a year ago?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Was normal in our place that if you behaved like a meff you didn't go.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
Was normal in our place that if you behaved like a meff you didn't go.

Yeah fair does I might of not behaved right but towards the end of the year I actually tried to improve so now being told I’m not allowed to go is disappointing as I acc tired🙃
You f*cked up so you get the consequence
I think if it was at the start of the year it is pretty childish of the school to outright ban you from attending Prom if your record has been clean since then. If you've maintained a little bit of a wobbly path it's a little more understandable but it's not a good message from school to punish someone who has made a turnaround in their behaviour and attitude by prohibiting them from such an experience where, as you said, you can make some special memories.

If you told us what it is they've specifically said to you as their reasoning we might be able to make a little more sense of it.
Reply 5
Original post by Emiliaxxx23
it’s like last chance we will have to make memories in high school and I can’t be a part of it.

Believe me; In 10 years you will have forgotten those memories anyway. You're not missing much at all.
Reply 6
Original post by ten_minutes
I think if it was at the start of the year it is pretty childish of the school to outright ban you from attending Prom if your record has been clean since then. If you've maintained a little bit of a wobbly path it's a little more understandable but it's not a good message from school to punish someone who has made a turnaround in their behaviour and attitude by prohibiting them from such an experience where, as you said, you can make some special memories.

If you told us what it is they've specifically said to you as their reasoning we might be able to make a little more sense of it.

This is so true and my head of year even thought I had a chance of attending but my head teacher spoke to me and said I can’t go which was disappointing as all this time I thought I had a good chance of going. But the reason is pretty bad because what I did was stupid and I regret it
Reply 7
Is anyone in the same situation that they’re not allowed to prom even though they want to go or just don’t want to?

Basically near the start of the year I got excluded for a few days and now my head teacher has told me I’m not allowed to attend prom even though everyone else is going and I was looking forward to it.

Not sure how too feel about it because I feel like it’s like last chance we will have to make memories in high school and I can’t be a part of it.

Is your headteacher gonna be there?

If not it might be worth just going along anyway and hope you don't get rumbled. Nothing really to loose tbh...
Reply 8
Original post by HateSchx
You f*cked up so you get the consequence

Yeah I get that but doesant make me feel betterr🙃
Reply 9
Original post by Reue
Believe me; In 10 years you will have forgotten those memories anyway. You're not missing much at all.

Do you think? Its like the last time u can have a good time with teachers and everyone tho so just abit of a shame they’re banning loads of people from going🤷*♀️
Original post by ANM775
Is your headteacher gonna be there?

If not it might be worth just going along anyway and hope you don't get rumbled. Nothing really to loose tbh...

Yeah unfortunately people have tried doing that in the past and the teachers told us the people stand outside because they aren’t allowed to be let in😬 and also you have to pay money for a place so since they didn’t pay the teachers will have another reason of not letting you in
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m not going to mine
yeah, me and none of my friends are going to mine either, we don't see any point in making our last memories in such an awkward environment. Plus it's a pretty American concept we don't care for in general.
yeah, me and none of my friends are going to mine either, we don't see any point in making our last memories in such an awkward environment. Plus it's a pretty American concept we don't care for in general.

True I know a few people are not going from my year also but I think it’s not fair that they ban so many people from going, shame really🤷*♀️
This is actually sad.Heads are just petty at times usually ones who are not very good at their job!
True I know a few people are not going from my year also but I think it’s not fair that they ban so many people from going, shame really🤷*♀️
Fair point.Real friends will make their own memories hopefully for years to come!
Reply 16
Do you think? Its like the last time u can have a good time with teachers and everyone tho so just abit of a shame they’re banning loads of people from going🤷*♀️

If it helps; know that your teachers will have forgotten you long before you inevitably forget them. I’d be surprised if they could even remember your name after a year.
Original post by Scotney
This is actually sad.Heads are just petty at times usually ones who are not very good at their job!

I know loads of people in my year that can’t go cause they’ve been late to school too many times, it’s so stupid
lolol trust me in the same position but I got excluded at the end of yr 10 so tff

Basically near the start of the year I got excluded for a few days (it was over something really stupid that I did and now I really regret it, I even wrote a letter saying sorry😂) and now my head teacher has told me I’m not allowed to attend prom even though everyone else is going and I was looking forward to it.

I'm just not going cos I don't want to. Really not my scene and would make me so anxious lol. It's not that much of a big deal ngl

Latest