The Student Room Group

Is Spirit Vinegar halal?

Does anyone know if spirit vinegar is allowed in islam?

I have researched on google but some say it is and others say no. I only ask as I found out prawn mayonnaise sandwiches contain spirit vinegar.

Tia
Bro, why would you ask such a Q on TSR? :lol:
Original post by Yung_M

I have researched on google but some say it is and others say no. I only ask as I found out prawn mayonnaise sandwiches contain spirit vinegar.

Tia

That stuff is treated as the shaytan himself in my house. My uncle (strictly religious) noticed it in the cooking cabinet and he backed away and demanded it get thrown out. Shouting Alcohol! the whole damn way through. Funniest sh*t I've seen.
As far as I know red/white wine vinegar, cider vinegar and spirit vinegar are halal...

https://www.foodguide.org.uk/answer/27/
Reply 4
Original post by HumbleBee_x
Bro, why would you ask such a Q on TSR? :lol:

Because fellow muslim students may know the answer?..
Reply 5
Original post by AspiringAccount
That stuff is treated as the shaytan himself in my house. My uncle (strictly religious) noticed it in the cooking cabinet and he backed away and demanded it get thrown out. Shouting Alcohol! the whole damn way through. Funniest sh*t I've seen.

That sounds hilarious lol, can see where he’s coming from though
Original post by Biryani007
As far as I know red/white wine vinegar, cider vinegar and spirit vinegar are halal...

https://www.foodguide.org.uk/answer/27/

Thanks
Original post by Yung_M
Because fellow muslim students may know the answer?..

who are a minority on here..
Reply 7

That's what I thought, but there's actually quite a lot.
yes it should be halal, generally speaking
definitely not halal.

We are a minority? There are quite a lot of Muslims on TSR I’m pretty sure
Original post by verycoolperson
yes it should be halal, generally speaking

Original post by Safzal0332
definitely not halal.

Well that's cleared it up :smile:

FWIW my local chippie sells something called 'non-brewed condiment' which is a cheap vinegar substitute made of watered down acetic acid... how would that be regarded?
According to Wikipedia:
The term spirit vinegar is sometimes reserved for the stronger variety (5% to 21% acetic acid) made from sugar cane or from chemically produced acetic acid. To be called "Spirit Vinegar", the product must come from an agricultural source and must be made by "double fermentation". The first fermentation is sugar to alcohol and the second alcohol to acetic acid. Product made from chemically produced acetic acid cannot be called "vinegar" in the UK, where the term allowed is "Non-brewed condiment".

So the alcohol containing OH group is further oxidised to carboxylic acid COOH group so no alcohol so it is halal.

It appears that the name is for more concentrated vinegar.
Well Tom Scott says the NBC is halal

listed as unavailable on supermarket websites https://groceries.asda.com/product/malt-vinegars/gold-star-non-brewed-condiment/1439319

but sold in chipshops - my local has the choice of the clear and coloured (brown) varieties
Original post by Yung_M

Tia

Hey/Salaam!
So this is a question which very very often pops up in my family/friend circles etc. In fact it came to a point where I actually sent in a question to our imam and he answered confirming that my answer was correct.
So, spirit vinegar is halal. This is because once a substance has become a vinegar, all the alcohol has been removed completely, meaning it is no longer haram. Likewise, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar etc are also HALAL. The word ‘vinegar’ literally means ‘gone off wine’ (fun fact for those who didn’t know 😊).
BUT please make sure to do your research into this matter too... also please still be careful with ingredients etc when you buy sandwiches and things like that because they can sometimes contain pure wines
Original post by CuriosityYay
According to Wikipedia:
The term spirit vinegar is sometimes reserved for the stronger variety (5% to 21% acetic acid) made from sugar cane or from chemically produced acetic acid. To be called "Spirit Vinegar", the product must come from an agricultural source and must be made by "double fermentation". The first fermentation is sugar to alcohol and the second alcohol to acetic acid. Product made from chemically produced acetic acid cannot be called "vinegar" in the UK, where the term allowed is "Non-brewed condiment".

So the alcohol containing OH group is further oxidised to carboxylic acid COOH group so no alcohol so it is halal.

Scientific explanation!
Original post by CuriosityYay
To be called "Spirit Vinegar", the product must come from an agricultural source and must be made by "double fermentation". The first fermentation is sugar to alcohol and the second alcohol to acetic acid. Product made from chemically produced acetic acid cannot be called "vinegar" in the UK, where the term allowed is "Non-brewed condiment".

In Islam, vinegar is not halal if it has been converted from alcohol to vinegar DELIBERATELY. It's a different case where it happens naturally, but here you state that they ferment sugar to alcohol and then alcohol to vinegar. In this case, the vinegar would be deemed haram since it has deliberately been converted from alcohol to vinegar. It does not matter if there is any alcohol is left in the vinegar or not.
Original post by z.ainab
Hey/Salaam!
So this is a question which very very often pops up in my family/friend circles etc. In fact it came to a point where I actually sent in a question to our imam and he answered confirming that my answer was correct.
So, spirit vinegar is halal. This is because once a substance has become a vinegar, all the alcohol has been removed completely, meaning it is no longer haram. Likewise, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar etc are also HALAL. The word ‘vinegar’ literally means ‘gone off wine’ (fun fact for those who didn’t know 😊).
BUT please make sure to do your research into this matter too... also please still be careful with ingredients etc when you buy sandwiches and things like that because they can sometimes contain pure wines

It's not halal if it has been deliberately converted from alcohol to vinegar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending