The Student Room Group

Sir Donald acquitted in Hong Kong

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3016085/vindication-former-hong-kong-chief-executive-donald

Sir Donald Tsang, former Chief Executive of Hong Kong, the only person to beat George Soros, Harvard master has been acquitted by Hong Kong's Court of Final Appeal after being sentenced (and served in full) a year in jail.

It is widely believed by the Hong Kong public that the Hong Kong government decided to go after him because Beijing was not happy with his minor defiance against them when Sir Donald was governing Hong Kong.

Sir Donald is credited for building the sovereign fund for Hong Kong, a by-product of his decisive interference in the market to drive George Soros away during the 1998 financial crisis which led to the collapse of many Asian countries.

The honourable knight also entered office with a very high approval rating, following the resignation of disgraced leader, Liverpool University graduate Tung Chee-hwa, who left office after hundreds of thousands of Hongkongese marched against a proposed national security bill.

The Grand Bauhinia Medalist did not manage to get democracy for Hong Kong, but he did expand on its existing democracy by creating several more directly elected seats, thus making the Legislative Council mostly democratically elected.

The Harvard University master in public administration however was accused of colluding with the real estate companies to allow Hong Kong's housing prices to skyrocket to the most affordable in the entire world. Hong Kong has earlier set the world record for the world's most expensive house with a $446 million mansion which is only 7,725 square feet in size. Prior to that, a single parking space was sold for $760,000 in Hong Kong.
Reply 1
What have you lot got against Soros? Is this another crackpot idea that is the sole preserve of morons that he somehow controls the world?
Original post by Baron of Sealand
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3016085/vindication-former-hong-kong-chief-executive-donald

Sir Donald is credited for building the sovereign fund for Hong Kong, a by-product of his decisive interference in the market to drive George Soros away during the 1998 financial crisis which led to the collapse of many Asian countries.

Why do the right wing always use Soros as a scapegoat? He's not some kind of god who can cause entire financial meltdowns lol. He's just a guy who worked hard and has a bit more cash than average.
I don't keep up with Hong Kong affairs as much as I should do so wasn't aware any of this happened. (I really need to watch TVB News more often. :colonhash: ) On a more serious note it's sad to see Sir Donald Tsang in ill health to be honest.

Sir Donald Tsang, former Chief Executive of Hong Kong, the only person to beat George Soros, Harvard master has been acquitted by Hong Kong's Court of Final Appeal after being sentenced (and served in full) a year in jail.

It is widely believed by the Hong Kong public that the Hong Kong government decided to go after him because Beijing was not happy with his minor defiance against them when Sir Donald was governing Hong Kong.

The honourable knight also entered office with a very high approval rating, following the resignation of disgraced leader, Liverpool University graduate Tung Chee-hwa, who left office after hundreds of thousands of Hongkongese marched against a proposed national security bill.

The Grand Bauhinia Medalist did not manage to get democracy for Hong Kong, but he did expand on its existing democracy by creating several more directly elected seats, thus making the Legislative Council mostly democratically elected.

The Harvard University master in public administration however was accused of colluding with the real estate companies to allow Hong Kong's housing prices to skyrocket to the most affordable in the entire world. Hong Kong has earlier set the world record for the world's most expensive house with a $446 million mansion which is only 7,725 square feet in size. Prior to that, a single parking space was sold for $760,000 in Hong Kong.
Ah same, I was aware of it but not really sure what happened exactly. Just trying to keep up with the latest news on those recent protests over the past couple of weeks :confused::confused::confused:
Original post by Themysticalegg
I don't keep up with Hong Kong affairs as much as I should do so wasn't aware any of this happened. (I really need to watch TVB News more often. :colonhash: ) On a more serious note it's sad to see Sir Donald Tsang in ill health to be honest.
Original post by Napp
What have you lot got against Soros? Is this another crackpot idea that is the sole preserve of morons that he somehow controls the world?

Original post by AngeryPenguin
Why do the right wing always use Soros as a scapegoat? He's not some kind of god who can cause entire financial meltdowns lol. He's just a guy who worked hard and has a bit more cash than average.

Soros was a scapegoat?! You know nothing about the 1997 Asian financial crisis, do you?

Straight from Soros's mouth:

“...by selling the Thai baht short in January 1997, the Quantum Fund managed by my investment company sent a market signal that the baht may be overvalued."

One person of course couldn't stage the whole crisis. But a $1 billion sudden bet against a weak currency such as the one from Thailand can reasonably attract a lot more investors to do the same, which will in turn lead to everyone panicking and exaggerating the effects.

And this is why Sir Donald won against Soros. Sir Donald, as Hong Kong's Financial Secretary at the time, decisively used Hong Kong's reserves to intervene in the market so fewer people would follow Soros's bet against the Hong Kong Dollar.

Oh yes, Soros works very hard. He worked very hard to destroy the livelihood of tens of millions of people, and now he's working very hard to clean up his image.
I learn a lot from these threads, become hella politically aware this way lol.
Reply 7
Soros was a scapegoat?! You know nothing about the 1997 Asian financial crisis, do you?

Straight from Soros's mouth:

“...by selling the Thai baht short in January 1997, the Quantum Fund managed by my investment company sent a market signal that the baht may be overvalued."

One person of course couldn't stage the whole crisis. But a $1 billion sudden bet against a weak currency such as the one from Thailand can reasonably attract a lot more investors to do the same, which will in turn lead to everyone panicking and exaggerating the effects.

And this is why Sir Donald won against Soros. Sir Donald, as Hong Kong's Financial Secretary at the time, decisively used Hong Kong's reserves to intervene in the market so fewer people would follow Soros's bet against the Hong Kong Dollar.

Oh yes, Soros works very hard. He worked very hard to destroy the livelihood of tens of millions of people, and now he's working very hard to clean up his image.

In future, if you're going to quote me, actually make a point instead of peddling conspiracy theories please.
Original post by Napp
In future, if you're going to quote me, actually make a point instead of peddling conspiracy theories please.

Do you know how to read? Soros said his investment fund did it. So now you're saying Soros is making up a conspiracy theory about himself?
Reply 9
Do you know how to read? Soros said his investment fund did it. So now you're saying Soros is making up a conspiracy theory about himself?

Probably a damn sight better than you :lol:
No, i'm saying you are. What was that comment about reading again?
Original post by Napp
Probably a damn sight better than you :lol:
No, i'm saying you are. What was that comment about reading again?

So quoting Soros describing how his fund triggered the crisis in Thailand was a conspiracy theory?

Which part of "Soros said it himself" are you not able to comprehend?

Have you completely lost it?

In future if you're going to quote me, please make a point instead of simply throwing a random accusation without evidence to back up your claim.
(edited 4 years ago)
So quoting Soros describing how his fund triggered the crisis in Thailand was a conspiracy theory?

Which part of "Soros said it himself" are you not able to comprehend?

Have you completely lost it?

In future if you're going to quote me, please make a point instead of simply throwing a random accusation without evidence to back up your claim.

He always does this when backed into a corner. Just throws distractions and awkward attempts at comedy while not acknowledging the point. I've had this exact same conversations with other leftists and had to resort to sitting them down in a clockwork orange type forced viewing scenario to watch soros himself admit to what they're denying he did.
Original post by Jebedee
He always does this when backed into a corner. Just throws distractions and awkward attempts at comedy while not acknowledging the point. I've had this exact same conversations with other leftists and had to resort to sitting them down in a clockwork orange type forced viewing scenario to watch soros himself admit to what they're denying he did.

I've put him on ignore now. Doesn't worth my time even acknowledging his presence in the future if he's just going to behave like this.

And this thread was never about Soros, but about Sir Donald, the Hong Kong legal system, and the alleged Chinese influence. To come into this thread to just talk about Soros is like coming here to debate whether Sir Donald was knighted by Her Majesty The Queen. Should've reported all his comments for being off topic.
Reply 13
Original post by AngeryPenguin

Spotting the writing on the wall, Britain upped its interest rates to the teens to attract people to the pound, but speculators, George Soros among them, began heavy shorting of the currency.

The British government gave in and withdrew from the ERM as it became clear that it was losing billions trying to buoy its currency artificially. Although it was a bitter pill to swallow, the pound came back stronger because the excess interest and high inflation were forced out of the British economy following the beating. Soros pocketed $1 billion on the deal and cemented his reputation as the premier currency speculator in the world.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/08/george-soros-bank-of-england.asp

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending