The Student Room Group

But I’m not good at math

i've been exposed
but honestly I think math is kind of like singing, everyone can practice and get better at it but some people will naturally be better and at a higher level than others, some people are not good at math and thats fine
Reply 3
Toxic video but main point holds true.
Reply 4
It's ignorant to call people lazy when you have a natural aptitudes towards it. Therefore you have to put in less effort than others to get the same or better results.

I did no revision for my English GCSE and got an A. Meanwhile I put in lots of effort, revision, help from my dad and maths tutor yet only got a C in my GCSE Maths. Natural ability plays a key part.
Everyone can play sport but not everyone will get to the Olympics.

Original post by margiekins
but honestly I think math is kind of like singing, everyone can practice and get better at it but some people will naturally be better and at a higher level than others, some people are not good at math and thats fine

I can sing much better than I can do maths :laugh:
I don’t like the attitude from the person who made this video.

He makes it seem like anyone who struggles with maths basically fails in life when they don’t.

The idea was there though: if you work hard, you can be better at Maths. Definitely not new information though. We all knew that. It’s not some mind-boggling theory.
Well I don't agree with the money bit. But in general even basic numeracy skills are lacking in a lot of people, so much that I wonder how they get through everyday life.

My friend asks me to add up the prices of things which are all £1,£2 etc., I've been told by people they don't know how to work out percentages and they wouldn't know what to put in a calculator. There's people who have no concept about how much a unit of measurement is. They cannot visualise 1 cm, 1m,1l etc and people who calculate the day on a particular date, not by adding 7s but going day by day! And these things aren't uncommon.

I do agree that most people are lazy, but there are other factors an aging brain, dyscalcula etc. And obviously people learn at different rates, but if you are having problems with things that I've listed above it might be a good idea to work on that.

If you have been working as a chef for 20 years, then you're not gonna need to know how to work out the length of the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle, but you still need other basic maths skills.
Original post by OddOnes
It's ignorant to call people lazy when you have a natural aptitudes towards it. Therefore you have to put in less effort than others to get the same or better results.

I did no revision for my English GCSE and got an A. Meanwhile I put in lots of effort, revision, help from my dad and maths tutor yet only got a C in my GCSE Maths. Natural ability plays a key part.
Everyone can play sport but not everyone will get to the Olympics.

I can sing much better than I can do maths :laugh:

I do believe that If you have normal brain without any disorders you can be at least average at maths, because only at a top level does your genes actually play a part, there's always a pretty good level of any skill you could get to just with practice alone. You might have just been practicing wrong for maths GCSE
(edited 4 years ago)

He'd make a hopeless teacher - what a terrible attitude.
I shall not watch that guy, talking funny and speaking too many words while expressing very little, but I can say this:

I had terrible teachers. I ceased to understand anything in maths when I was about 11 years old. I could always perform tolerably well, my calculations were usually correct and I could do anything, but I hated it and I didn't understand it.

As an adult person I took my math book from high-school to do some math excercises instead of a crossword. I didn't remember how to do them, I've no idea how to them, so I started wondering what the excercises want the solver to do, and how it works. After some time, I've checked my results, and to my surprise, I discovered that my calculations were correct, even though I didn't know how to them. I also noticed it was also a good fun.

Then I realised, that I was taught maths badly my whole life. All you need to do in maths is to understand what you're doing, and think logically (and know some conventions related to how do you write your calculations). But nobody has ever taught me maths that way. Always, I was only required to memmorise the procedure and execute it. That's why it was boring, that's why I hated it at school, and that's why my life is ruined.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending