The Student Room Group

If the NHS is so important...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Burton Bridge
My post related to traditional left and right core values

Modern politics is far from being one dimensional.

Jeremy Corbyn may be somewhere on the left but he is not another Clement Attlee or even a Michael Foot.

The Green Party are also somewhere on the left but they are not a rehash of Old Labour and they appeal to a completely different demographic than the blue collar manual worker.
Original post by Arran90
NuLab was a case of Thatcherite economics 2.0 and privatisation of the NHS (and other public institutions) by stealth.

I'm not really looking to go down a rabbit hole, I was just answering your question on why an obscure one-issue party is not more popular.
Original post by Arran90
Modern politics is far from being one dimensional.

Jeremy Corbyn may be somewhere on the left but he is not another Clement Attlee or even a Michael Foot.

The Green Party are also somewhere on the left but they are not a rehash of Old Labour and they appeal to a completely different demographic than the blue collar manual worker.

The parties morph into eachothef over time mate, they dont define left and right ideals.

I agree with you it's a complex issue.
Reply 23
They may be a largely one issue party but it's (officially) a big issue and one that perpetually stands prominent at every general election.

It is always possible that the establishment have got things wrong and the (state of the) NHS is less of an issue than they think it is. I hardly ever use the NHS myself because I just don't need much medical treatment and there probably are millions of people in the same position as I am.
Original post by Arran90
It is always possible that the establishment have got things wrong and the (state of the) NHS is less of an issue than they think it is.

Even if you were right (and opinion polling over the years would suggest otherwise), the lack of success of an obscure one-issue party is not exactly an accurate indicator of public sentiment.
Reply 25
The Lib-Dems are largely a one issue party. Does anybody know what they stand for apart from cancelling Brexit? They still managed to poll well in the Euro Elections though.

It is possible that the Euro Elections are the type of election where the Lib-Dems can really shine, but they will achieve lacklustre results in forthcoming national elections where other issues matter. Time will tell...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending