The Student Room Group

French A Level

Anyone who does french a level can you tell me about the pros and cons of it?

I’m predicted 7/8 in French gcse and I think my exams went well too. I’ve been thinking about french a level since March but I still haven’t made up my mind. (I want to do it but I also don’t want to ruin my uni chances)
Hey - I studied French A Level and really enjoyed it. I don’t know what other subjects you are thinking of doing but I did biology and chemistry and so French offered a creative outlet from the sciences. It offered me the opportunity to learn more about French culture and politics as well as the language. Depending on what you are wanting to study at uni, French can make you stand out as a candidate for university as you have a skill that is sought after. One thing that I struggled with was getting the balance between sciences and french right. I was applying for medicine so naturally biology and chemistry seemed more important and for a while I let the French slip. Overall I would definitely recommend considering it - from your predicted grades, it sounds like you are good at French and if you have a passion for it you will enjoy it and hopefully get the grade you want. Hope this helps! 😊
Original post by daizu
Anyone who does french a level can you tell me about the pros and cons of it?

I’m predicted 7/8 in French gcse and I think my exams went well too. I’ve been thinking about french a level since March but I still haven’t made up my mind. (I want to do it but I also don’t want to ruin my uni chances)
Reply 2
Original post by medstudent30
Hey - I studied French A Level and really enjoyed it. I don’t know what other subjects you are thinking of doing but I did biology and chemistry and so French offered a creative outlet from the sciences. It offered me the opportunity to learn more about French culture and politics as well as the language. Depending on what you are wanting to study at uni, French can make you stand out as a candidate for university as you have a skill that is sought after. One thing that I struggled with was getting the balance between sciences and french right. I was applying for medicine so naturally biology and chemistry seemed more important and for a while I let the French slip. Overall I would definitely recommend considering it - from your predicted grades, it sounds like you are good at French and if you have a passion for it you will enjoy it and hopefully get the grade you want. Hope this helps! 😊

Thank you, this helps!
I’d be taking English Lit, RS and Classical Civ with it which is really arts heavy so I don’t know if it would be the best idea to take french too.
Have got any idea to what you want to do at uni?
Original post by daizu
Thank you, this helps!
I’d be taking English Lit, RS and Classical Civ with it which is really arts heavy so I don’t know if it would be the best idea to take french too.

Quick Reply

Latest