The Student Room Group

RAF pilot with no air cadet/UAS experience

Hi, I am a uni graduate with no experience with the air cadets or university air squadron, but I have wanted to be in a Pilot in the RAF for most of my life, there were some personal, family issues which led to me not joining the cadets and when i got to university, i decided that i needed to focus on my degree as my A-levels had not gone too well. Could having no experience with the cadets or university air squadron significantly lower my chance of being successful at OASC?
Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Hutton97
Could having no experience with the cadets or university air squadron significantly lower my chance of being successful at OASC?

No.

Where it could put you at a disadvantage is:
- your knowledge of and exposure to the RAF - other candidates will have known more and longer and be able to demonstrate this
- your exposure to experiences where you've been able to demonstrate your leadership potential
- your ability to portray yourself as a well rounded individual with a background in a number of activities

As long as you're able to counter these points with examples of things you've done, you'll be fine, and will have every chance of getting through the various selection hurdles.
Original post by Hutton97
Hi, I am a uni graduate with no experience with the air cadets or university air squadron, but I have wanted to be in a Pilot in the RAF for most of my life, there were some personal, family issues which led to me not joining the cadets and when i got to university, i decided that i needed to focus on my degree as my A-levels had not gone too well. Could having no experience with the cadets or university air squadron significantly lower my chance of being successful at OASC?
Thanks.

Hi

You don't need to have been either an Air Cadet or be part of a UAS to be able to apply (and be successful) for the role of pilot in the RAF. As long as you meet all of the entry and eligibility criteria listed on the role page on the RAF Recruitment website then you can apply (you'll notice neither appears in that list!).

It's how you do at Officer and Aircrew Selection that will determine entry. Aptitude testing and other factors are the first hurdles. However, as Drew has already advised, we look for leadership and teamwork experience. You're applying to be an Officer, so expected to show maturity and leadership qualities. Time in the cadets can give you this, but so can other areas, especially during university.

If you have experiences and evidence of this then you will be in a good position for OASC.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
No.

Where it could put you at a disadvantage is:
- your knowledge of and exposure to the RAF - other candidates will have known more and longer and be able to demonstrate this
- your exposure to experiences where you've been able to demonstrate your leadership potential
- your ability to portray yourself as a well rounded individual with a background in a number of activities

As long as you're able to counter these points with examples of things you've done, you'll be fine, and will have every chance of getting through the various selection hurdles.

Thanks a lot, this is very helpful.
Reply 4
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

You don't need to have been either an Air Cadet or be part of a UAS to be able to apply (and be successful) for the role of pilot in the RAF. As long as you meet all of the entry and eligibility criteria listed on the role page on the RAF Recruitment website then you can apply (you'll notice neither appears in that list!).

It's how you do at Officer and Aircrew Selection that will determine entry. Aptitude testing and other factors are the first hurdles. However, as Drew has already advised, we look for leadership and teamwork experience. You're applying to be an Officer, so expected to show maturity and leadership qualities. Time in the cadets can give you this, but so can other areas, especially during university.

If you have experiences and evidence of this then you will be in a good position for OASC.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Quick Reply

Latest