The Student Room Group

New Job- Pre-Booked Holiday

I’m due to be starting a new job next week, and have received and returned my offer letter and contract to my new employer. During the interview process, it completely slipped my mind to mention that, in May just gone, I booked a holiday for Christmas/New Year (booked at a time when I was not working, and did not know how soon this would change!)

Whilst the holiday is booked for 4 months after I start work, I’d be averse to going in on my few first days/weeks and then booking the time off as I feel that it doesn’t give off the greatest impression.

Would it be best to contact the HR department before my contract begins and inform them of this pre-booked holiday- and find out what their policy is on this- even though it is 4 months after I start?

N.B. The holiday spans 9/10 working days (excluding the bank holidays which I would have off anyway)
Reply 1
Tell them asap.

They would much rather have a lot of notice.
Original post by ajholmes

You only need to tell them during the induction/on boarding process. Ringing them a few days before you start, for holidays starting 4-5 months later is not necessary or really helpful. It will just be apost-it note that sits on a desk until you, the real person turns up. All they will do at this range is tell you to book it through the formal process when you are logged in etc. It's fine- the issue is trying to take 2 weeks of within a couple of weeks of starting or during a highly structured training period. Everyone expects some people to book Christmas holidays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending