The Student Room Group

Taking 2 weeks off new job?

Hi,

I’m applying for full time positions as I am 18 and just finished college. I have 2 job interviews for full time positions at John Lewis. However, I would like to take 23 june - 8th augest off as I am going abroad as well as spending time with my girlfriend. Is this too much of an ask, especially for a new comer? I don’t want to let my girlfriend down.

Thank you
Original post by Jacob1617
Hi,

I’m applying for full time positions as I am 18 and just finished college. I have 2 job interviews for full time positions at John Lewis. However, I would like to take 23 june - 8th augest off as I am going abroad as well as spending time with my girlfriend. Is this too much of an ask, especially for a new comer? I don’t want to let my girlfriend down.

Thank you

You're planning on taking 6 weeks off a new job, a couple of weeks after having started?!

Yes, that unreasonable to expect any new employer to agree to. You could have been employed for 10 years at the same place and they would probably still wince at a request for a 6-week holiday.

It makes much more sense to arrange for your new job to start once you're back from holiday - i.e. towards the end of August.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You're planning on taking 6 weeks off a new job, a couple of weeks after having started?!

Yes, that unreasonable to expect any new employer to agree to. You could have been employed for 10 years at the same place and they would probably still wince at a request for a 6-week holiday.

It makes much more sense to arrange for your new job to start once you're back from holiday - i.e. towards the end of August.

Sorry, my bad. I meant JULY - AUGEST 😮
Original post by Jacob1617
Sorry, my bad. I meant JULY - AUGEST 😮

Well, that's different. As long as you tell them at interview that you have a pre-booked two-week holiday coming-up that should be fine.

If they're interviewing in June, they probably half expect that candidates will have summer holidays booked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending